• 72Aggie
    Ags agree to two year extension with field hockey conference on the East Coast.

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2020/10/31/field-hockey-uc-davis-signs-two-year-extension-with-the-america-east-conference.aspx

Again, while I want to support a broad and diverse athletic experience for Aggie students and fans, I just don't get playing field hockey. Stanford, which won the conference last year and I am going to go out on a limb and guess that they have more money in their athletic budget than Davis has, has already announced that they will drop the sport at the end of this academic year...and who knows if there will even be field hockey this year?* Pacific dropped the sport a couple of years ago. Cal has had problems finding a venue in which to play and I cannot imagine they will be around for long. Are we going to go it alone?

*NCAA has moved field hockey championships to Spring 2021. https://www.ncaa.com/news/ncaa/article/2020-09-16/ncaa-di-council-approves-moving-fall-championships-spring
  • 69aggie
    Field Hockey is a very popular international Olympic sport. So, a Big investment by the America East Conference to keep field hockey on life support in the West. The conference had to be willing to either subsidize the travel costs of the eastern teams or convince them to agree to play the Ags in their homes games for the good of the sport. Frankly, I am proud that we are doing this and I am equally disappointed that Stanford did not. With all of their money Stanfords decision is a joke. Hope Cal hangs in as well!
  • Goags20172
    I interpret it differently. Two years is a very minimal commitment. I believe UCD is in wait-and see mode with respect to cutting programs, unlike some of its counterparts. If they cut field hockey they have to balance it by either providing another sport for women or cutting 1 or more men's sports. A lot of factors to consider. It seems logical to me that they're still weighing their options while they see how their fundraising and ticket revenue recover.
    A few months is not really enough time to make the decisions.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say baseball will be around at least two more years too. It's not like they're telling Vaughn not to fundraise for facility improvements. However, I don't know what happens after Vaughn's contract expires. As I mentioned before Dobbins Stadium will still see plenty of use if there's no varsity team.
  • 69aggie
    Cal football is now making national news and it is not good. According to the NYT Cal pulled the scholarships of a former walk on player (who played his way onto the starting lineup) because he had Covid concerns. Then Cal billed him $22,000+/- for summer school fees! Very Bad indeed. . .
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!