• Toke69
    I remember when Santa Clara was a national power, ranked as high as #2 in the country behind UCLA. They actually came to Davis and stomped all over the Ags, which got a mention in Sports Illustrated where they wrote that the Broncos had stooped to swat such flies as UC Davis. This team is a far cry from that one, but the Broncos had little trouble with Idaho State. Snata Clara features a big front court, featuring 6' 8" forward Jesip Vrankic and 6' 10" center Jaden Bediake. The Aggies will match up better at the guard positions, but I don't see how they can win this game. Maybe someone can post where to watch this game on streaming video?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I agree, this will be a tough one. We’ll have to protect the ball much better and play better team defense.

This will be streamed via the WCC at https://wccsports.com/watch/?id=6212084505001
  • DrMike
    I saw them at the Rec Hall in 79 featuring Londale Theus and Kurt Rambis. They were head and shoulders better than our DII Ags
  • Zander
    I'm just getting a "stay tuned" notice on the stream; anybody else having luck?

Edit: working now
  • BlueGoldAg
    Les is letting this team run much more than we are used to seeing.
  • Zander
    Huh down 4 with FTs coming at the last media break of the half

I don't feel good about this game, but the Ags are actually matching up OK. (Or at least SCU is looking worse than expected)
  • Zander
    Down 1 at the half

Watching this lineup try to score in the paint is kinda like watching an undergrad hunt for a bike rack at the Silo: fruitless, but oddly inspirational
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are hanging tough despite getting pounded on the boards. SC had 9 offensive rebounds to our none and scored 11 second chance points to our none as a result.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Overall not a bad half. Benefited a little by some missed open shots from scu. They are picking on Ba’s defense. But he is showing that he’s more than just a spot up shooter. Need another scrappy effort in the second half
  • Zander
    Yikes, didn't realize it was quite that stark. Though I think maybe ORs are slightly less relevant for us if Les sticks with the small ball gameplan. If our goal is to score on easy runners and threes, there won't be much to contest in the paint.

Aggies just need to clean up the defensive rebounds, but that will be hard with the size disadvantage
  • Zander
    Ba with a MASSIVE 3 to take the lead, SCU timeout
  • Zander
    No timeout, no attempt to take the last shot, charge in, get an offensive foul

why
  • quadshock
    Only needed any sort of normal offense the last 3 possessions to win...
  • Zander

Rushed the drive, offensive foul
    Throw the ball away
    Airball three

SCU did everything they possibly could to give us this game but the Ags just wanted them to have it more. Urgh.
  • SoCalAggie
    That was infuriating...
  • SoCalAggie
    First off, this is going to be a tough year. We have nothing in the paint. No rebounds or defense against big men. Who is going to score outside of Ezra? Growing year for sure...
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags made a game of it despite no interior presence offensively or defensively and poor 3 point shooting. Unfortunately, our final 3 possessions will be something Manjon will want to forget...offensive foul, turnover and an airball. Our FT defense was outstanding though: we held the Broncos to 16-29.

Jim Les teams always seem to start the season slow for the most part. I expect this team will improve but we got some glaring deficiencies to try and shore up that's for sure.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Definitely need to figure out how to play down the stretch. We have a lot of close games so we need to have some go to plays (or players). Positives, Manjon is still clearly the man, Ba is a complete surprise, and I like what I see so far from Murphy and McGill (it will be a year before they really contribute, though). Negatives, no interior play, no consistent offensive threat other than Ezra, and both Fuller and Pepper need to find their game.

Let's go get a win tomorrow vs Idaho St. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    Tough loss. Big improvement on defense. Offense is a bit of work in progress, although we did put up 90+ Wednesday. Ba has been a pleasant surprise. Fuller and Pepper showed they can score last season so I expect them to come around. Get a win tomorrow and put together complete game.
  • movielover
    Les is committed to small ball. Even when he has better than solid big men, he uses them sparingly, even when successful.
  • DrMike
    Idaho State got spanked by Idaho State (by 19) and Santa Clara. We’re 8 1/2 point favorites. Hopefully, we put it together for a solid win.
  • Toke69
    Nuts, I couldn't watch this game due to an important appointment I had to keep, but it sounds like the Ags played pretty well. Not sure if Santa Clara is simply not that great, just big. It's starting to look like they don't have any long range shooters the way they have for the last decade or so. If the ESPN box score is right, UCD shot only 5 for 23 from beyond the arc, 21.8%, but 16 for 39 (41%) otherwise.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!