• Russ Bowlus
    Let's play two!

Ok, sorry, old joke. Pretty key weekend for the Aggies, IMO. A sweep of SLO puts them pretty firmly at the top of the heap leading up to the plane trip to Hawaii. If you believe in the transitive principles of game scoring (and who doesn't when the results are in favor of one's team?), this should not be a difficult pair of games--SLO just also swept LBSU, but only by 11 and 3. However, SLO has proven to be pretty scrappy in recent years, so the Aggies can't take anything for granted.

Game notes: https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2021/2/24/womens-basketball-fresh-aggies-welcome-mustangs-for-home-finales.aspx

Go Aggies!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I always think back to a few years ago when we were down in SLO and up by close to 20 in the second half, only to see us collapse at the hands of their full court press. I know, different teams now with different skill sets, but it still makes me nervous. Hopefully we play good solid defense and rebound so they can't set up any full court trap. Go Ags!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Yeah, the Aggie press break was an Achilles heel for several years there.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I imagine the Mustangs will press and try to make the game hectic since they have had luck with that strategy before against the Aggies. A win over the Ags would make their season this year.
  • Zander
    Overhead on stream pregame: "It works. IT WORRRKKSSS!!!"

Sounds like the sound crew is having a bit of a Young Frankenstein moment with getting the stream set up
  • Zander
    Turner makes a three in first 20 seconds, though Cal Poly ties it back up.

Apparently there's a new video board? Have yet to see it on stream though
  • Russ Bowlus
    20-16 Aggies after one. SLO started off very hot; Davis started off very cold, but it all evened out as the quarter progressed.
  • Zander
    Cal Poly feels scarier than LBSU. Which given their head to head record that doesn't seem like coincidence -- Poly might just be the better team
  • Russ Bowlus
    33-24 at half, Aggies lead. Shots are not falling from long range for Davis (3-18), but they are making up for it with their close-in shooting. SLO has cooled off to 35.5% shooting--only scored 8 points in the quarter, and two of those came at the buzzer.
  • Zander
    Generally one would expect that one of the top 3 pt-shooting teams would be in trouble if they shoot this abysmally from the arc, but the Ags are making it work and didn't even seem that flustered.

Feels like Trpcic can get to the line or score at will once she gets withing 15 feet of the rim or so
  • Russ Bowlus
    Still a nine-point game after three. Davis held a 12-pt lead for most of the quarter, but went cold on offense and let SLO back under double digits.
  • Russ Bowlus
    This game feels like it's two made threes by Turner away from being broken open, but she's still missing. Defense needs to keep stepping up.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    She's going to bury one here soon.
  • Russ Bowlus
    57-43 at the 4Q media timeout. SLO not really going away.
  • Russ Bowlus
    ...and here's the Davis bench.
  • Zander
    I love letting the bench close out the game when (for a minute at least) the Mustangs were still going all-out. Bench got quality minutes vs LBSU too
  • Russ Bowlus
    63-47 final, Aggies win!
  • Zander
    Not a margin of victory you really expect with 22 missed threes
  • Russ Bowlus
    Right?

Four players in double-digits (barely); 18 assists on 24 made shots. Aggies were out-rebounded, which I am sure will be a point of emphasis by the coaching staff. That said, Davis took pretty good care of the ball (7 TOs) and limited SLO to single digit points in two quarters.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Senior night for the Aggies! This group has certainly had a great run; hope they can continue into the Big Dance.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Looks like Coach is having Gibb start at center today; I like when coaches do that for their seniors. :)
  • Zander
    Great stuff.

I wonder if with the ceremony today we just got indirect confirmation that the seniors won't be back next year. We'll miss them, but it's understandable
  • Russ Bowlus
    14-8 Aggies after one. SLO is ice cold right now. Gibb did some good work, collecting four rebounds in her half quarter on the court.
  • Russ Bowlus
    SLO is 2-24 from the field as of the 2Q media time out. Ow.
  • Zander
    I shouted when Gibb got her bucket off a great pass. Sorry neighbors
  • Russ Bowlus
    27-19 at half. Davis went pretty chilly at the end of the quarter which allowed SLO to creep back into the game.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Gibb the leading rebounder for the Aggies, btw. :strong:
  • Zander
    Cal Poly is doing everything right to win this game except they keep leaving Turner wide open
  • Russ Bowlus
    40-33 Aggies headed into the fourth. Aggie offense needs to wake up!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Back to where we were yesterday: a pair of Turner threes would clear the benches.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Aggies up 13 with 3:43 to go at the 4Q media time out.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!