• zythe
    This is good, right?
  • 69aggie
    He must have been Blues top choice (or one of them) to replace him. He’s been around. People know him and the Aggies coaches must like him. I would say probably a very good choice for the position and a safe one. We do not need anymore Terry Tumeys.
  • DrMike
    I agree. Plus, he greets me by name when I see him at games/events. So, he's okay in my book!
  • movielover
    Helping secure funding for the performance facility likely made him an automatic contender. It would be interesting to know executed the deal with Davis Health... how much was Blue, and how much Rocko?

Did Darryl Gross apply? I like him, but a little too flashy for some.
  • fugawe09
    I'm glad to hear this. Would appear to keep us on the same trajectory. He must have impressed May and gotten the right endorsements because I would have normally expected an outside diversity hire. Haven't tried, but hopefully continues Blue's habit of answering emails personally and promptly, even to us little people.
  • Goags20172
    I like that "Following a nationwide search". Didn't take long to search the nation and decide. I wonder if this was the same kind of nationwide search that netted them Vaughn as head baseball coach ? I suppose they can't as a public institution just hire whomever they wish up front-have to give a diverse group of candidates a chance.
  • DrMike
    at the risk of being an ageist, Daryl seems to be a bit old (60, same as me) for this job.
  • agalum
    Great choice, super nice guy and very competent. Well liked inside Athletics.
  • movielover
    60 is the new 40. Gale Mikels took the job in his 60s, and how old was Coach Sochor? 57?
  • DrMike
    it’s a whole new world now compared to then. D1 programs, title IX challenges that are getting harder with changing enrollment, new facilities to match our D1 level, etc.
  • fugawe09
    Indeed. I would also guess that for the foreseeable future, 5 years will be the typical lifecycle of ADs. The good ones will get picked off by higher-paying entities, so keeping an heir apparent in a good administration is decent strategy to avoid damaging leadership vacuums. For the not-so-good ones, 5 years is enough time to determine they got to go. I'm not sure I see a repeat of the 16-year Greg W tenure as likely.
  • DrMike
    I kind of got the impression Blue and Rocko were joined at the hip so it’s not a huge surprise he’d be the committee’s choice. I believe they had a national search company involved in gathering candidates; no idea what the finalists looked like
  • movielover
    I'm sure true blue Aggie Bruce Edwards provided insight.

Kevin Blue salaries
    2019 - $305,000
    2018 - $288,000
    2017 - $267,000

Rocko salaries
    2019 - $182,000
    2018 - $177,000
    2017 - $172,000

Transparent California
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!