• 72Aggie
    Finals:

Eastern Washington 38, Idaho 31

Weber State 20, Idaho State 15

Northern Arizona 28, Southern Utah 20

Montana 59, Central Washington 3
  • BlueGoldAg
    Weber and EWU know how to win the close ones...
  • fugawe09
    I tuned into EWU/Idaho in the 3rd quarter. Not sure what was going on with Idaho. A non-QB was playing QB and basically wildcat every play, only a couple passes in the whole game. The amazing part was they had Eastern on the ropes until a critical penalty resuscitated a 4th quarter Eastern drive.
  • agalum

EW being resuscitated by a late call - that sounds familiar.
  • BlueGoldAg
    ...and Weber squeaks out another W. The Big Sky is shaping up to be a free-for-all in the fall!
  • agalum
    Are our guys still practicing on the chance of a playoff birth?
  • movielover
    EWU doomed that sliver of hope. No way they choose 3 Big Sky teams.
  • Riveraggie
    So none of the Idaho QBs made the trip but they used a guy who was 3000 yard passer in high school and was Washington State 3A player of the year. Also a star wrestler in high school, and won a bronze medal in Judo representing team USA in junior Pan Am games. Looked like Tompkins out there, tough to tackle and sense of where the open field was. 6’0” 203 lb.
    They ran out of the pistol mostly. They had some direct snaps to other running backs.
  • DrMike
    the answer is/was ‘no’. Shut things down
  • 69aggie
    Remember when football was played with the single wing formation? You have yo be very old!! I think UCLA was the last major power to use it, although not with an uneven line.. Then came the “T” formation which was the dominating offense for 70-80- years and here we go now evolving back toward the SW formation- direct snaps, reverses (see double), inside (buck) laterals, double passes, etc. i have not seen HR o under center this entire short season. Always the pistol-wildcat, which is of course where the single wing tail back got the ball or the fullback got the ball- direct snap. Note: the single wing QB was actually a blocking back. I know because I am too old and remember seeing UCLA use it- very well! Red Sanders must be really enjoying this trend from his grave. I really don't know why this is going on. . . .
  • Riveraggie
    The evolution is interesting because the single wing first gained popularity when the forward pass was made legal, but retained the ability to run the ball. Being the predominate offense for forty years or so there are almost an infinite number of variations. After it lost favor to the T, and then colleges started favoring spread formations with the direct snap and wing backs. there was a realization that the ideas behind the single wing run plays could work from the spread. With teams like ours that line up in multiple formations, why not throw in some wildcat or single wing type formations? Offenses are getting harder to classify as they're not wedded to a formation but can chose different ones. This is nothing new. Notre Dame used to switch between a T and a single Wing variant just before the snap, The wildcat, as used originally in the pros usually used the same personnel and just moved the QB out as a flanker. so a team could change with the same personnel. It’s all just a way to try to either fool the opponent or to get double team blocks at the point of attack.
  • NCagalum
    There seemed to be no clear dominant team in big sky this year. Weber had all close games outside of Idaho state, and there Hail Mary win (maybe hail Joseph smith in Utah) was preceded by a 15 yard personal foul by NAU or they wouldn’t even be in reach of the end zone. So they are living right and certainly got some breaks, but it goes to show that a good defense will keep you in games regardless.

EWU lost to Idaho, was almost upset by them a second tone and escaped from Pocatello (a dropped third down pass would have kept ISUs last drive alive and likely ended tied game). So it looks like the 2 teams from big sky going into the tourney are susceptible. Yet to be seen.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!