• movielover
    Tre Lance only started 17 games in college? Media claims he has a high football IQ. Five QBs taken in round 1, Garoppolo on the way out, Shanahan apparently never in love w him.

https://youtu.be/GXEWg4O2OZg
  • MTBAggie
    Ouch, at about 3:30 when he knocks Devon King out.
  • movielover
    Can he make the transition from FCS to NFL? Bigger & faster defenses.
  • MTBAggie
    Cooper Kupp seems to be doing ok. I hate to root for NDST, but, it would be nice to see another FCS kid succeed.
  • movielover
    That would be great. I also just learned he started one season... so 12, 13 completions a game, 170 yards per (roughly), no picks, 16-0, opponents had no preseason tape on him (like Jake Maier). (15 of 30 w 1 pick in their one game this year.)

Sounds like he and his family made the wise choice to cash in on 16-0... how many years guaranteed does a #3 pick get? I see Garoppolo has a $25M contract per year, but not guaranteed.
  • 69aggie
    I am a very long time Niner fan. I like this choice of Lance. I think it is worth noting the gloried history of SF Niners QB of past years. Remember: Title. Brodie. Plunkett. Oh yes: Frankie Albert. Montana. Young. Kap.. . . . Etc. Not a storied history in the last 5 years at all. All the years since 2017 we have had: Brian Hoyers! CJ Breathard! Remember them? No. And then Jimmy G. A good guy, but very injury prone and not mobile. I think mobility at the QB position is the new thing in football. Yes, for the Niners and yes for the Aggies. So Lance is the right choice for the Niners. Who is the best choice for the Aggies? HR is very good. He will be pushed by TT and LL. We will see.
  • DavisAggie
    every year FCS players make the transition. Sometimes, even DII. Ever heard of Ken O'Brien?
  • AggieFinn
    Northern Iowa's towering right tackle Spencer Brown goes No. 93 overall to the Bills.

spencer-brown-nfl-draft-player-profile-uni-tackle-scaled-e1611000499395.jpg
  • AggieFinn
    North Dakota State blind side protector Dillon Radunz went No. 53 overall to the Titans. Dillon had a very good week at the Senior Bowl and gained a lot of steam throughout the prospect process.

cd0cee92-498e-40dc-9384-7ca330509e48-Radunz.jpg?crop=1535,864,x0,y0&width=660&height=372&format=pjpg&auto=webp
  • AggieFinn
    Quinn Meinerz, C/G for Div. III Wisconsin-Whitewater goes to the Denver Broncos at No. 98 Overall. Guy's quite the character, a true Wisconsin outdoorsman and a non-stop mauling beast!

• AggieFinn
    Of the FCS/DII/DIII/NAIA players left ranked on the CBS Big Board:
    Ranked 142 - South Dakota State WR Cade Johnson
    Ranked 166 - Illinois State S Christian Uphoff
    Ranked 187 - Grambling OL David Moore
    Ranked 253 - Northern Iowa DE Elerson G. Smith
    Ranked 293 - Nicholls State WR Dai'Jean Dixon
    Ranked 297 - NC A&T CB Bryan Mills
    Ranked 301 - Merrimack OL Sam Cooper
    Ranked 341 - Central Missouri TE Zach Davidson
    Ranked 353 - NC A&T CB Mac McCain III
    Ranked 385 - Tiffin WR Jaquan Hardy
  • movielover
    6'3", 320, speed in a low crouch, and summer workouts w propane tanks & water jugs.

"The unconventional workouts also enhanced Meinerz’s functional strength. He couldn’t lift as much weight in traditional exercises, but he felt stronger on the field. He was sturdier in awkward positions, and his wrists and forearms could push defenders."
  • movielover
    Sure. But he's had one full year, teams didn't have an off season to drill down. .... Looks like his father may have played DB in the pros, and educated him.
  • NCagalum
    ..and I remember Devon King dropping a sure pick 6 off of Lance. If you have 0 interceptions over 2 years - you need some bounces going your way.

Personally I think Lance will be a good NFL QB but I think he has been a bit overhyped due to the team he had around him, and not the greatest pass defenses against him. I think he will take a few years to really mature and get comfortable - time will tell.
  • 69aggie
    I think he will be the next Kap. His running ability will cause all sorts of problems for opponents even if his passing is not great. It’s the new NFL thing: mobility. IMHO
  • movielover
    Until he gets his bell rung by a 250 # linebacker. That's the risk.

Were Steve Young or Cunningham ever sidelined by taking hits running?

Top 10 running QBs

https://youtu.be/XOmtA_k4eE0
  • DrMike
    I think he’s much more accurate than Kap. He never seemed to hit a receiver in stride.
  • NCagalum
    never threw a spiral either..
  • DrMike
    threw it really really hard.....no matter if he needed to or not!
  • movielover
    Tre Lance film in the semi's vs Montana State. Most of his passes were short - 2-10 yards, primarily to the left or right sideline, or dump off. Lots to his 6'3" WR. Rarely over the middle. Not a great variety of plays or throws to this rookie. Lots of keepers where he runs 3-10 yards behind his huge line.

2 deep balls, 1 complete.
    1 deep ball on a broken play, complete.

https://youtu.be/OCp3D8R-MdE
  • cmt
    Agreed.

Carson Wentz only had a year and a half of playing time, though he was a 4 year player, and as much as he’s dropped off the last couple years, was a favorite to win the MVP before he got hurt when the Eagles won the Super Bowl.

Just because the dude went to an FCS school isn’t a good knock against him in the same way that just because a guy performed at a big time FBS school, he’s not a lock to succeed. There’s risk in every single pick. A lot of these guys are going to fail.
  • movielover
    QB highlights vs MSU. 21 / 31... a couple of nice play action plays.

https://youtu.be/3Pu7n7SKhcg
  • movielover
    Update

"“ "I would think if that’s the formula then Lance does get a lot of time. The 49ers would use that third preseason game as the true dress rehearsal for the regular season, against the Raiders at Levi’s Stadium.” says Lombardi, 49ers beat writer.

"It’s a very exciting prospect for fans who have been hearing about Lance’s training camp performances ad nauseam. Lance has been turning heads since last week, leading to rumblings that there is an outside chance he could take Garoppolo’s job before the season starts.

"At that moment, that possibility still seems remote, but impressing in an extended showcase vs. the Chiefs on Saturday could increase those odds."

An earlier article says he made a throw against his body, down field, a throw Garoppolo couldn't make.

I've read G. frequent injuries are an issue.
  • movielover
    Jimmy Garoppolo's fourth quarter backwards pass / fumble led to a Packers' field goal. 9ers lost by two.

JG two turnovers tonight.

Garoppolo rating: 87.2
    Rogers QB rating: 113.3

Fantastic Rogers / Green Bay comeback.

The backwards fumble.
    https://youtu.be/i3WOzwh0Wp0
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!