• CA Forever
    Aggies heading down south to take on the Toreros. They played Cal Poly this last weekend losing 28-17.

Quarterback Mason Randall went 29/44 for 254 yards with 1 touchdown and 2 interceptions. Randall spread the ball around to a plethora of receivers, but his top targets were Michael Gadinis (8 rec, 83 yards), Christian Brown (6 rec, 67 yards), and Emilio Martinez (6 rec, 42 yards).

In the run game, they were led by a tag team of Terrence Smith and Emilio Martinez. Smith had 87 yards on 14 attempts (5.9 avg, 17 long), while Martinez had 82 yards on 20 attempts (3.8 avg. 15 long).

On defense, the Toreros were led by Nickleback Kama Kamaka with 9 tackles (7 solo) and Cornerback Cassius Johnson with 8 tackles (4 solo) and a pass breakup. It appears that they got 2 sacks on Cal Poly, 1 from Defensive Tackle Ronald Sharlou and a half sack each for Defensive Lineman Mykee Irving and Defensive Tackle Will Buck.

For the first time in what feels like forever, the Toreros were actually NOT picked to win the Pioneer League in the preseason coaches poll. That honor went to Davidson who received 8 first place votes, while San Diego came in 2nd with 3 first place votes. Maybe USD is finally losing their vice grip on the conference. We can't afford to half ass this game after the stout performance against Tulsa. USD will be hungry to prove those preseason polls wrong. After week 1, Massey ratings have Davis at 4 and USD at 99 and I haven't seen a poll with them even receiving votes. Should be a game we win, but as aforementioned have to take it seriously.
  • DrMike
    USD always scares me, especially down there. Their offense looks very similar to the Sochor offense, with a lot of play action, passes in the flat to RB/TE, and stout run game. Defending the run is crucial. Also, no big plays. 2019, we score easy first two possessions and stop them cold on their first two. Up 14-0 and cruising, right? Long kickoff return for TD and it’s a ball game. Forecast has moved up to 84, which is warm for SD (and similar to 2019)
  • CA Forever
    Yep, like I said we cannot overlook the Toreros. They'll be hungry to get one in the win column. I'm less worried about warm weather games after looking at how the guys handled the heat and humidity in Tulsa. Conditioning looks like its in a good place.
  • agalum
    I think we’re going to run right over them. That last game down there was a shocker. After their comeback, time was running out and their guy coughed the ball up right at the goal line. They didn’t have technology for a review. It was about as close of a ref call as you could get. Had they scored, we would have lost. The margs were flowing in Old Towne after that :). Darn sorry I’ll be missing this one. That darn virus! Mike, you and the Mrs can have a marg for us and we’ll see you in the tent the following week.
  • movielover
    I predict Larison and Gilliam have a breakout game behind our O line.
  • CA Forever
    I predict a pretty good day for the offense in general. USD has nowhere near the size and strength that Tulsa had in the trenches. I also want to see Hunter put together another consistent performance. That was his biggest issue in the shortened season. He would be playing really well but then have a bonehead play like unforced fumbles, scrambling backwards for 20 yard and taking a sack, etc. He didn't do any of that against Tulsa which was encouraging.
  • movielover
    Agreed. HR did have an unforced fumble (?).

Cam Trimble came up big with 1.5 Sacks.
  • movielover
    Early in the year, but ... FCS stats...

Completion %, HR - #1 (80%)
    Completions per game, HR - #9
    Sacks, Cam Trimble - tied #7
    Solo tackles, Venable - tied #17
    3rd down completion % - #10
    Defense, same - #9
    Time of Possession - #14 :cool:

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/individual/747/p3
  • movielover
    USD vs Cal Poly highlights. (Poor audio.)

- not the best passing decisions by USD QB
    - two missed tackles on a Pick 6 really hurt USD
    - at least 2 other potential SLO picks

https://youtu.be/3u0xVrhlluk
  • DrMike
    I was thinking QB was the guy we saw in 2019, but it looks like spring was his first starting role. Had 2 INT in every game but one (where he had 1). They’ve had good possession WRs in the past Taft could get open, and often a speed guy that could hurt you when they took shots
  • DrMike
    the players will be fine - it’s the old guys like me in the stands that’s a concern
  • Riveraggie
    I think this game will give us an indication of our offensive philosophy. Tulsa uses a 3-3-5 as their base defense and that might have contributed to how persistent we were in attempting to run the ball. Against a peer opponent, not playing an umbrella defense, and now with more confidence in the QB, what mix of plays will we see? I guess more fifty fifty.
    A 2020 freshman Michael Ambagtsheer, who saw some action at Tulsa and had a assisted tackle for us has a brother who plays at San Diego.
  • NCagalum
    I watched the usd poly game and it looked to me like usd is down a notch. After watching the Tulsa game, the Torreros looked small and slow (as one might expect). They did at times torch the poly defensive backfield. And their kicker almost made a 62 yard field goal! It had the distance but hit the right upright.

I too also think that it could be a big day for Gilliam and Larison, but also note that you have to take every opponent seriously or you can get yourself in trouble no matter who you are playing. Take care of the ball and they should be fine. Harrell had a big day at tulsa - best I have seen him. Good job stretching the field as well as getting open on underneath routes.
  • agalum

I’ve always liked Harrel. He has good hands, size, and speed.
  • movielover
    Is it hopeful thinking, or is HR ocassionally throwing a bit deeper than Maier?
  • 69aggie
    I think usd will be very up for this game. They apparently hold a very strong grudge against the Aggies. Why, I do not know, but maybe the Josh Johnson episode of many years gone by. Very adept Aggie Pack heckling had JJ very upset and try to go into the stands to fight all comers. Actually, it was very funny with the coach tackling him b/4 he could climb the fence. I do not think Hawk will take this game as anything but very seriously.
  • NCagalum
    I don’t think he is necessarily throwing deeper, but he is showing that he can adequately sling a long ball with accuracy. At his size it looks to me he’s doing it with arm velocity and decent mechanics. He throws a nice tight spiral. He was great about throwing to the open receiver against Tulsa - and that’s probably the most important thing.
  • movielover
    Great throw inside to Harrell on a deep ball. Number one in the FCS with 80% accuracy.

It will be interesting to see if we get either of our missing WRs back.
  • Riveraggie
    Game Notes for SD show Nixon and Crawford back.
    I wish they’d proof read these things. They cut and pasted Rodgers weight from last years depth chart. His roster weight is 313, not the 285 listed in depth chart. It’s easy to visually see which one is correct.
  • AggieFinn
    I have to imagine the game plan is to get the running game going and keep it hot
  • Riveraggie
    It will be interesting. We had more runs than passes against Tulsa. However, Tulsa’s base defense has five defensive backs, if San Diego plays us more conventionally, we might pass more
    .I don’t know if the offensive philosophy is going to be do what we want and impose that on them or take what they give us..
  • Riveraggie
    The game notes list 70 players on the travel squad unless I can’t count.
  • DrMike
    70 is correct; 64 travel for BSC games
  • Riveraggie
    Here is a post about the team with some quotes from Hawkins about the Tulsa game and San Diego, probably from a site you’re unlikely to come across. This extra long week creates long gaps between news for this team.

https://www.vacavilleinsider.com/
  • 69aggie
    How do we watch this game? Or do we wait until tomorrow to find out?
  • agalum
    I watched their game with poly. The stream is lousy, but at least its something.
  • Goags20172
    USD has a very nice campus. I thought the people were very nice there, but I guess you would be if you lived in SD and went to that school everyday. Beware of co-eds offering donuts. I didn't want one so I avoided the trap, but the perception is if you don't look like you belong there then you need to be saved.

Prior to my visit I did not know that the Cubs' (Now Giants') Kris Bryant and Big Bang Theory's Jim Parsons were alumni.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!