• AggieFinn
    If the Aggies want to reach the top they're going to have to beat the class of the Big Sky. Teams like Weber State, Eastern Washington, Montana, Montana State...these are teams UC Davis needs to learn how to beat if they're ever going to hunt for a Naitonal Championship. They logged the marquee win @ Montana in 2018 - then took a beating to the Eagles later in the year. In 2019 Davis got shellacked at home by both Montana and Weber State. Davis has yet to beat EWU, and while they've put together some close games against ranked opponents they still have yet to turn the corner as a consistently contending program.
  • CA Forever
    Exactly. Since Hawkins' arrival, the Aggies have proven to be a very good 2nd tier team in the Big Sky. We are winning games, but struggle to put the whole thing together against the premier teams in the conference. I stand by my statements from before the Dixie State game that I believe this team has the talent to go undefeated this season. They just have to find a way to put the whole thing together against the Weber States and Eastern Washingtons of the conference.

Weber State comes into this game with a 1-2 record. They have losses to FBS Utah and top 5 FCS James Madison. Their win came against mutual opponent Dixie State. It looks like they have 3 different quarterbacks who have taken snaps this season so far due to injuries. Bronson Barron is 31/53 for 303 yards with 2 touchdowns and 3 interceptions, Kylan Weisser is 15/25 for 177 yards with 1 touchdown, and Randall Johnson is 11/21 for 158 yards with 1 interception.

Unsurprisingly Rashid Shaheed is Weber's leading receiver with 9 catches for 126 yards and a touchdown on the season. He is EXTRAORDINARILY dangerous in the kick and punt return game and will 100% burn you if you aren't playing your cards right. Ty MacPherson has added 11 catches for 121 yards with a touchdown.

Their run game seems to have diverted from just Josh Davis getting a million snaps per game. Dontae McMillan has 208 yards on 28 attempts with a touchdown. The aforementioned Davis only has 83 yards on 23 attempts with a touchdown. Don't let Davis' numbers fool you though, he has proven time and time again that he will do damage given the opportunity.

On defense the Wildcats are being led by safety Preston Smith with 20 tackles (12 solo) 2 for loss and defensive end George Tarias with 20 tackles (14 solo) 2 for loss and 1 sack. Safety Ja'Kobe Harris has added 11 tackles (9 solo) and 2 picks for the Wildcats. As a team they are allowing 354 yards per game.

Weber ain't a joke. They weren't pushovers against James Madison and only allowed 3 points to an opponent we allowed 27 (different quarterbacks of course, but still a common opponent). I would love to win this game, but I'm skeptical until we prove that we can finally put it together against a top tier opponent.
  • Riveraggie
    What is the status of the Weber QB Bronson Barron who got injured against Dixie? I assume they think he’s their best QB.
  • CA Forever
    Just read a news article from the Weber State post game against JMU that Barron has a knee injury that could keep him out a few more weeks. We'll see how the week progresses, but as it stands right now it sounds like it will either be Weisser or Johnson.
  • agalum

Not sure, but on their boards there is chatter that they started the wrong qb against JM. Several posters don’t think they are a top 25 team. They will be hungry when we get there. Right now the weather looks to be nice, ~80.
  • Riveraggie
    Weber fans whining about not being a top 25 team after losing a game to a premier team when they are using backup QBs. Shows how spoiled their fans are.
  • CA Forever
    They are obviously still a top 25 team, but I understand their frustration after the JMU loss. They lost by 13 and that includes a lost fumble that was returned almost 90 yards for a TD for JMU... potentially a 14 point swing on that play alone.
  • MTBAggie
    I watched a few minutes of the Weber game. I felt like it was a lot to 3 when I turned it on, but the final score was somewhat close. How many of those 4th quarter 14 points, if any, were in garbage time?
  • Riveraggie
    It was a lot to 3 only because when Weber was about to tie it up at 10, the backup QB fell down backing up from center leading to the 92 yard fumble return for a TD
    Weber is probably the better of the two teams except for the QB position. Physical as always on defense.
  • NCagalum
    Weber scored 2 tds in “garbage time” although I will say they were nice passes - but I think against some 2/3 string dbs. After the first JMU score in the second half, the game was never in doubt in my mind. I don’t think Johnson was hurt, just a lack of confidence in him by Hill. Johnson never really looked very comfortable so they went with the third string guy who did not do too bad.

For the 2 long JMU runs that set up TDs in the second half, Weber stacked 8 and maybe even 9 in the box with a very high safety, and once through the line there was only the deep safety left.
  • NCagalum
    “What is the status of the Weber QB Bronson Barron who got injured against Dixie? I assume they think he’s their best QB.”

The announcers said it was day to day and that Barron though he could go, but they also hedged their bets by giving the out for 1-4 week range. I’m my opinion, Weber has never had a really good quarterback, but have won with a stout defense and just enough offense and special teams (read Rasheed). I think whomever is in there at QB, the Aggies should try to confuse/upset their QB as no matter who plays they will either be in there with limited experience (3rd string guy), tentativeness( Johnson) or maybe on an gimpy leg (Barron).

Then again the “backup” for Dixie didn’t do too badly save for interceptions.
  • Riveraggie
    Before the ESPN+ move, we could have watched a replay of the game this spring on BigSky tv. Too bad they took that down. Petty if ESPN requested that.

The box score shows the game to have been very even statistically We lost a ten point lead in the third quarter, almost all the damage done by Barron running or passing.
    Their second TD drive of the quarter started at their 45 after we went for it on 4th and 2.
    Aside from that quarter we contained them pretty well. This is another of those games with Weber that I think we can win. I’ve always been wrong about that.
  • DrMike
    that 4th down was huge. Make it and we continue the first half momentum. Instead, they got a quick score and things turned around fast.
  • agalum
    Their QB continued to pull a third and 25 out of the hat and make it. That changed once we started blitzing them and forcing him to make a play. We better have an improved pass rush against Weber. And they can burn you in the air or ground. Their offense is pretty balanced.
  • Riveraggie
    I think by their QB you’re referring to the Dixie game.
    In the last Weber game the game changed at half time. They were shut out in the first half but got the second half kickoff and drove for a touchdown, mostly with QB carries and passes. Then the short field TD. Their last score was a field goal following our turnover. They were able to make an adjustment at half time and we seem to have figured it out again and contained them in the fourth quarter. Game got away from us in the third quarter.
  • agalum
    Yes, sorry, i was referring to Dixie.
  • NCagalum
    As Chris Peterson said on Saturday on FS1, offense puts fans in the stands but defense is what wins big games. It looks like Devon King may be out again after seeing him go to the sideline holding his arm/shoulder. Sure would like him on Rasheed. Ags Held Weber to 18 points last game. I think the Ags win if they hold them to <=20.
  • AggieFinn
    What is up with King? What's his injury?
  • Riveraggie
    At least in the last game it was an injury to his shoulder. He was holding his fingers as if he had some arm pain.
  • Riveraggie
    James Madison moved the ball well against Weber.
    The third string Weber QB made some big plays at the end. I bet we see him if Barron is still out.
  • CA Forever
    Obviously somewhat of a blow to them, but as always next man up. I expect them to continue to be a tough team to play.
  • Riveraggie

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately they project all their offensive linemen to play against us. James Madison got lucky and caught them with a banged up offensive line.
  • movielover
    A top receiver from last year is also out, and in the transfer portal.
  • Riveraggie
    yeah but he was benched this spring, and all this year
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags have lost 5 straight to Weber and is 2-6 historically overall against the Wildcats. Time to break the losing streak!
  • Riveraggie
    Past time.
    Remember the 2017 game where on our opening possession we had a 60 yard pass to Khris Vaughn which gave us first and goal at the 3, followed by a sack and a field goal, that was our only score of the game?
    Since the start of the Rodrigues era, which corresponds with the elevation of Cody Hawkins to OC, we don’t seem to be throwing to Khris Vaughn as much.
  • NCagalum
    It is still early, but I think with UCD, EWU, and both Montana’s ranked above Weber Jay Hill is getting a bit concerned. He stated that Weber was the better team in the first half, and has been making what sound to be excuses in the press, that, I think, are indicative of his concern.

I also think that if Barron had any chance of going, he would, but he would not likely run much, if so. In any case, and especially in the case of Johnson or Weisser, I think putting pressure on either we and doing any thing to confuse or shake them up will pay dividends. Johnson did not look comfortable at all last week, and I think Hill’s patience with him ran thin especially after the botched snap/fumble.

As always the turnover margin will be critical, as well as special teams - and as -always defense. Anything can happen on any Saturday, but I believe the Ags are the better team this year (season). I am not worried about the Ags offense, but they need to be sound in the other areas.
  • Riveraggie
    Game notes are up. https://ucdavisaggies.com/documents/2021/9/20/FB_Notes_4_Weber_State.pdf
    Devon King still listed on depth chart, but not on the travel roster so he is likely out. Toki is on the travel squad. He didn’t go to Tulsa or San Diego. Both true freshmen Connors brothers on travel squad
  • NCagalum
    with sort of an abundance of folks to throw to, I don’t think it’s that abnormal that Vaughan is not being thrown to much. With Harrell, Castles, and now Crawford back (not to mention Gilliam and Larison out of the backfield- and also Tompkins) there isn’t a lot of opportunities for others. I do think it is nice to have dispersed options so the opposition cannot key on one guy. I would say that Harrell has really stepped up.
  • Riveraggie
    Also it’s my possibly incorrect observation that we’re doing more two tight end. I know we’re doing a lot of it just not sure if it’s more than under the prior OC.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!