• Gauchofreg
    Hey Aggies,
    I am doing a countdown style preview on the BW message board and added the Aggies yesterday in case you're interested. As I've reviewed each team in greater depth, I feel I have far less of an idea now as to how things will play out as compared to before I started! IOTW, Jim Les & co may very well make me look like a fool.
    One thing I did is put just a couple sentences on the home arena and local hangouts. Not sure if the Credit Union Cntr (doesn't feel right to not call it the Pavilion...) serves beer or not so input on that and favorite hangouts in town for pregame is appreciated.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bigwest/big-west-countdown-11-6-t25510-s40.html
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Hey Freg. I read the rundown so far. Great job! As for the Ags, yeah anywhere from 3rd to 6th sounds about right. As you pointed out, we have, as always, a lack of interior depth. Maybe Bora and Murphy step up and provide some valuable minutes, but that's just a homer's hope.

As for the pavilion, or UC, it did serve beer the last time fans were in attendance, and I assume it will again this year (no reason to think otherwise). Local hangouts have been hit recently, no more Grad and Uncle Vito's is still closed, and deVeers Irish Pub just closed last week. Best just to walk around downtown and see what looks good. Burgers and Brew is popular, and close by is Pizza and Pints.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Nice job, Freg. I agree with you also. Middle of the pack for the Aggies seems about right but I'm sure that the team and the coaching staff feels otherwise. Les gets a lot out of the talent he has to work with each year but, as you say, our lack strong interior, impact players has caused us problems of late. He generally build his teams around outstanding guards and tenacious defenders. Aggie fans would love to see an elite big man like Chima in an Aggie uniform again but, for whatever reason, we don't get players like him very often.

One big change in our arena this year is the addition of a huge video board located at the upper level concourse on the north end of the building. I've only seen a photo and it's enormous. That will be nice to have especially for replays and, yes, beer is available at the games.
  • Toke69
    Lindy's college basketball preview magazine picks the Ags to finish 3rd in the Big West behind the Gauchos and the Anteaters. They base this pick at least partially on the quality of the Aggie guards, Manjon and Pepper.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    We need one more (at least) consistent scoring option behind Manjon and Pepper. Last year Squire had the next highest pts average per game. Fuller averaged 10 ppg but he seemed to go from unstoppable to invisible. He'll need to be more consistent from game to game. The big unknown for me is Milling. Can he go from 4.8 ppg in 22 mins at Nevada to maybe a double digit scorer on 25+ mins at Davis? In other words, can he give us Squire's production (though clearly in a different way)? Should be a fun team to watch. Can wait to get back into the U?
  • DrMike
    university of beer is a good choice, but last time I was there they didn’t have food (the Thai place delivered there).

They added that Budweiser pavilion beyond the one basket for beer/wine and offers spots to stand and watch the action.

Grad was so convenient since it was almost across the street.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I had the Gunrock Hazy IPA at the Team Aggie tent before the Idaho game. Hazy IPA is my favorite brew and it was good. I hope they have it at the BB games.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Two places that I just tried that are decent are Guads Taco and Beer, and 3rd and U. They are across the street from each other. Guads is run by Guadalajara which has two other Mexican food places in town. 3rd and U (on the corner of 3rd and university) has some decently priced burgers and beer. Bad parking.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!