• NCagalum
    Well I guess you go for the score for both confidence and ultimately getting into playoffs.

And glad to see Larison piling up some yards.
  • zythe
    I love how these color analysts talk about anything but UC Davis.

Please, tell me more about Eric Barriere and the EWU lack of sportsmanship. Please do!
  • NCagalum
    MacCaffrey no handshake? Maybe Dan said something about his pants.
  • CA Forever
    We'll take it. Nice bounce back after the loss.
  • movielover
    Good win, troubling first half. Difficult for me to evaluate HR w a porous offensive line, unless their guy is Lyle Alzado. (4 sacks taken total, pressure all night)

16 of 26, 187 yds, 1 TD, 2 Interceptions, 119 QB Rating.
  • 69aggie
    Great win, but Something is wrong with our passing game. I have no idea.
  • Riveraggie
    On defense we let a team a that was averaging under three yards a rush get 4.4.
    We stop a good share of the runs near the line of scrimmage , and seem to defend the edge fairly well but runners get a lot of yards after contact if they get through the initial hole.
    Passing game would be ok if we didn’t have the two interceptions. One was caused by trying to throw with no room the other was tipped by a lineman. Can’t judge Rodrigues harshly for the second.
    I think we need to be a run heavy team. Its odd that our linemen who’ve been pass blocking for years seem better at run blocking now.
  • movielover
    My rookie eyes believe our passing game opened up the run. Quick hits, screens, fly sweep, deep ball... then UG took over. We spread it around to lots of receivers, too. I wish we could use Castles & Thorpe more.

Don't forget, their roster was Covid depleted.

Best start in 20 years! Congratulations to the team, coaches, staff.
  • cmt
    Should move up a couple spots in the polls. We're 13 in the STATS poll and No. 10 East Tennessee and No. 12 Rhode Island both lost. Could jump No.5 Montana since they lost at home to Sac. Their resume isn't all that great. Beat a bad Washington team, 1-6 Western Illinois, 1-5 Cal Poly and 0-5 Dixie St by 17 (we beat them by 33). Their losses are better than ours though. So who knows.

I bet we'll be ahead of them as a lot of voters will dock them for losing to an unranked team (though Sac might be ranked after this) and will give us the nod because we've got a better record.
  • tokyoag
    n850f2xgi9q2dfn6.jpeg

Another home game, another packed house! Just keep winning!

Next up, Cal Poly! Go Ags!
  • eastbayaggie
    I like how we're over capacity - unless if it's a fire hazard.
  • DrMike
    A few things on attendance: 1) I’m seeing large group of older students, which i’ve never seen before; 2) student section is lively and sticks to the end. I think that’s helped by all the giveaways and Darius Livingston on the sideline mic; 3) there were a TON of students walking back to the apartments across 113 - that’s new. Seems like most students in the past were frosh who left at the half.

Offense was again sluggish. HR underthrew a wide open receiver at about 15 yards on first drive and that seemed to effect his confidence. One INT was bad, other was a tip that DL barely got. Pressure was a concern even BEFORE the 3 OL went down.

UNC was very poorly coached. 5 procedure calls. TO after a kickoff. Bizarre third down calls. Down 25-0, they took almost 6 minutes off clock with slow drive (time of possession is helped by long huddles) and settled got a FG.

Defense was pretty stout. Their rush totals were pushed up by 4 or 5 big gains, at least 2 on that long FG drive. Stuffed then repeatedly on their full house package. Coverage was good. Rush not so good. Poly and a bye seems to be coming at the right time.
  • AggieFinn
    EWU will roll Davis (again) if they don't find a spark.
  • Toke69
    It's odd the way the Aggies start to roll in the fourth quarter. What's their point differential? Something like 88-6. It could be because the coaches finally start to figure out what works. It could be because the players are in better condition (very likely against UNC with so many players missing). It could be a matter of confidence based on recent history. It could be some combination of these things. It can't be random since the difference across all other quarters combined is 21-14.
  • movielover
    Any idea how many UNC players were out?
  • DrMike
    according to this article in their local paper, ‘most’ of their COVID players were back
  • BlueGoldAg
    As you said, it certainly could be that the coaches have made good adjustments that are working better by the 4th quarter and it could also be indicative that we are a well conditioned team. The problem is that, if it takes us 3 quarters to get rolling against a team like EWU, we'll be down 40 points by then.
  • Riveraggie
    Should they try Darius Livingston as color commentor on radio /tv?
  • Riveraggie
    Have we played a class of 21 recruit a single down? On special teams? First year where we haven’t given players any experience since freshmen were allowed to play 4 games without using eligibility.
  • movielover
    Good point. I wish we'd give a little PT to players like Horne (6'3" DB), Facey and Faulk.

Davis Enterprise: "Standout defensive back Jordan Perryman admitted that the Idaho State loss was a wake-up call for the Aggies.

" “I think we had a different mentality tonight after giving up three touchdowns last week. We know now we can’t take anyone for granted. Maybe we went in there a little big-headed because we were 5-0. They put us in our place, but this game definitely helped and showed us what we can do.” "
  • BlueGoldAg
    “Obviously, we were not being as productive as we would like on offense, but the defense played great until we could get the offense going,” said Aggie head coach Dan Hawkins.

“I told our guys last week, don’t let Idaho State beat you twice. There are a lot of ways to measure a football team during a season and one of the ways I measure a team is not losing two games in a row.”

“They have a very good D-line and they showed us some different looks,” Rodrigues explained.

“But our O-line battled and the defense played lights out to give us great field position every time we got the ball.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/defense-carries-uc-davis-to-win-over-bears/
  • eastbayaggie
    Don't look now but the #12 UC Davis Aggies' last three opponents are in Massey's top 25:

https://masseyratings.com/cf2021/fcs/ratings

#25 Northern Arizona
    #3 Eastern Washington
    #18 Sacramento State
  • movielover
    Don't forget trap game SLO.
  • DrMike
    NAU is a mystery. 3-3 with win over Arizona (winless but PAC12), but a loss to UNC. Other two wins are over lower level BSC teams. Two big OOC losses to good team. Scary at home
  • Riveraggie
    NAU freshman QB Martinez has made a difference.. 9 touchdowns one interception second best efficiency and third best yardage per game in BigSky.
  • DrMike
    thanks, that makes sense
  • Riveraggie
    He’s another of those 6ft guys who are too small that are the wave of the future.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!