• agalum
    https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/jon-gruden-resigning-as-las-vegas-raiders-head-coach

“ Gruden coached the Raiders on Sunday, just two days after the Wall Street Journal revealed an email that used a racial trope to describe NFLPA Chief DeMaurice Smith. ”
  • DrMike
    sounds like there were many more covering different subjects. Are they checking player emails? Some might not be the most enlightened.
  • movielover
    Yes. Not a Chuckie fan or hater. Are all email, texts, and social media posts game for all coaches and players now?
  • DrMike
    Here is a detailed story. Came from investigation into sexual misconduct with Washington, and emails were sent to Bruce Allen who was club president at the time

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/report-jon-gruden-repeatedly-used-homophobic-misogynist-language-in-email-exchanges-involving-bruce-allen-003823476.html
  • movielover
    Not my language, but not surprised a football coach used the "p" or "f" word. A top less photo? *shudder* s/

650,000 emails... I'm sure there is much worse, prostitution, drugs, etc. Don't let these people near heavyweight boxers.
  • agalum
    When the internet was just getting rolling, a computer nerd buddy told me once you put something out, even if deleted, it can always be found. I wonder if this investigation will reveal more career ending content.
  • movielover
    Radio shrink Dr. Laura Schlesinger lost a radio job because she used the "n-word", and said it was only a word. If I recall, she said the word several times, not directed at anyone.
  • DrMike
    the top less photo session has a history of itself and was a bit part of this investigation.
  • 72Aggie
    There is a saying in the legal profession - "The 'e' in email stands for 'evidence.'"
  • movielover
    TP session? :mask:
  • cmt
    Good riddance. Overrated coach who never deserved the contract he got and certainly never deserved to have control over personnel decisions.

And I can confidently say if someone uncovered all of my emails/texts, at least as an adult, that they wouldn't find a single instance of my writing out racist, homophobic or sexist language. I also don't use that type of language in my everyday life.

Want to not get fired from your high paying job? Maybe don't use language like that. Pretty simple actually.
  • Zander
    Agreed. I have a hard time mustering up a defense of a celebrity doing something that would get the average worker fired/disciplined/shunned in their workplace, and I think using slurs to talk about members of your organization and sharing topless photos of coworkers in documented conversations to a supervisor would qualify.

And ignoring the morality of the above (not that one should), it's a serious lapse of judgement when you're paid millions in the spotlight to do anything but maintain a squeaky clean record when you're talking to people in the organization. Based on the kind of person Gruden seems to be in private and his judgement calls, I personally wouldn't want him to work for me if I had the choice, nor would I think him qualified to be a leader on the field and in the community based on that either.

Edit: Changed to "a supervisor" to reflect that it wasn't his team's owner. Point still stands that technically all of the NFL is the same organization, especially since some of the slurs were directed at the commissioner himself
  • AggieFinn
    I'm taking this to OT y'all.

Lifelong Raiders fan here, and I got a couple of texts from my Mom on some of the content...it's the right move to resign. It basically spells the end of Jon Gruden in organized professional football. While I agree with his take on Roger Goodell, you just can't send out that language on evidence mails...as for the racial stuff, it's just ugly, stupid and ignorant s*** that has no place in civilization.

I feel bad for his former players...maybe they'll rally, with Carr basically running the offense and no interference, we'll see. Just sad.
  • cmt
    Well this is quite wrong on a number of counts.

Dropping the n-word 11 times, whether directed at someone or not, is unacceptable. She used the "well if they can say it, I can say it" defense. Sorry, doesn't work like that. She also said that "If you're that hypersensitive about color and don't have a sense of humor, don't marry out of your race."

Additionally, regarding her "firing". She was removed from the air for a day, apologized and was back on the air. She ended her radio program at the end of that year and currently has a show on SiriusXM. So, not fired and currently working.

How did I find that info out? I googled her name. Not very difficult.
  • cmt
    On a lighter note, I'm still waiting for one of my favorite sites to update.

http://isgrudengoneyet.com/
  • zythe
    Who will be the next coach?
  • movielover
    So does this rule now apply to rap stars?

Interesting times when certain American military Generals support China behind our President's back, hand $85 Billion in Military armament to modern day Nazis, but a Patton would be run out of town.
  • cmt
    I don't listen to a ton of rap music but I wasn't aware white dudes are dropping n bombs all over the place.
  • movielover
    So black dudes are allowed to drop "n bombs"?

Ugly story, and is the mistreatment of cheerleaders continuing? It seems they're paid pennies, from what I read years ago. Now forced vacations & this?

"There are a lot of terrible things about this Gruden story but I can't get over Bruce Allen forcing Washington's cheerleaders to do a topless photoshoot and then using his team email account to send the pictures to Gruden"
  • cmt
    Yes, black guys are allowed to use the n word.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is an excellent article about the history of how Al Davis and the Raiders organization led the NFL in inclusivity and diversity which makes the Gruden fiasco so very disappointing.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/10/13/sport/gruden-raiders-history-race-blake-cec/index.html
  • cmt
    https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2021/10/12/22722678/jon-gruden-emails-resignation-raiders-coach

Another good article about the Gruden situation and why it's a problem beyond just his words being incredibly offensive.
  • movielover
    Should players be fired for life for bigoted and sexist remarks?

New York Post: Derek Carr thinks NFL should expose everyone’s private emails, not just Jon Gruden’s

"If we just started opening up everybody’s private emails and texts, people would start sweating a little bit. … Hopefully not too many,” Carr said on Wednesday. “But maybe that’s what they should do for all coaches and GMs and owners from now on, is open up. You’ve got to open up everything. See what happens.”

https://nypost.com/2021/10/14/derek-carr-nfl-should-expose-everyones-private-emails-not-just-jon-grudens/

Should we do the same thing for college coaches and administrators?
  • cmt
    It depends on the extent of it. There have been NBA players (Kobe I remember specifically) who have been fined for using homophobic language. A white WR was fined years ago for using the n-word out of anger at a concert. A similar thing would probably happen today, though maybe they'd be suspended for a game, which seems fair.

The difference is twofold. One is the extent to how often Gruden used these types of language. I'm not naive enough to believe the incidents Kobe and the WR were fined for were the first time they used that language. But you can't punish someone for a hypothetical. But this wasn't one incident from Gruden. It was a series of emails showing that this wasn't a mistake out of anger. This is who he is. The other guys could theoretically argue it was a one time thing (though again, I wouldn't believe them). Gruden can't. Secondly, Gruden is in a position of power, which means you're held to a higher standard. And for a league that has issues with a lack of diversity among its coaching staffs, having a racist coach who only hires white OC's and DC's is a problem.

So to answer your first question, if it came out tomorrow that Tom Brady did the exact same thing as Jon Gruden did, I would hope the Bucs would cut him instantly and would be disappointed if they didn't.

As for your terminology of "being fired for life", I'm not sure exactly what that means. Should Gruden ever get a job in the NFL again? No, he shouldn't. There are plenty of coaches out there who could do just as good a job as Gruden without being a bigot. He's made millions of dollars in his life and won't suffer one bit for it. The league is better off without him.

College coaches and administrators should too. Hell, if it came out that one of my bosses at work did the same thing as Gruden, I'd expect him to get canned too. The obvious difference is it would be easier for my boss to move on and get a different job than Gruden, but my boss also isn't a multi millionaire.

Racism is bad. Homophobia is bad. Sexism is bad. These aren't mistakes you are. It's who you are as a person. And there are consequences for being a bad person.
  • movielover
    We apparently have email going back ten years. Hire an outside law firm / investigators, and search for any and all racist, homophobic, or misogynistic language from administrators, coaches, players, and take action. Right? Whether it's Tom Brady or Cam Newton. This should include anti Asian, Latino, and European racist language.

I believe having an opinion on non-players as coaches / refs (women), and kneeling at games, falls more into strategy and political beliefs.

If this is "who they are", do we want racist players - becoming racist coaches and staff? Along your thinking, better to just purge them for life before they gain "power" as staff, recruiting director, agent, etc.
  • cmt
    Why do you seem so hell bent on defending terrible people like Jon Gruden?

Like when you say the following...

I believe having an opinion on non-players as coaches / refs (women), and kneeling at games, falls more into strategy and political beliefs.movielover

it's clear you just don't get it.

Did you even read the article I posted? I'd recommend you do. It will explain things much better than I can.
  • movielover
    I'm fine w his firing, though I don't agree on all points. Full scale audit - the Big Purge. Coaches, staff, players. Audit ten years of emails.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!