• BlueGoldAg
    EWU comes to town for the third meeting between these two teams. The series is tied 1-1 with each team winning at home previously. The Aggies won the last time these two teams met 87-65 back on December 17, 2012.

The Eagles lost their season opener at Nevada 91-76 but stayed close and led in the first half before the Wolfpack pulled away. EWU has plenty of size with 11 players 6'6 and above on the roster including 3 players 6'10 and over

Live TV at 2 pm on ESPN+

Good preview about the Eagles and the game here:

https://goeags.com/news/2021/11/11/mens-basketball-mens-basketball-back-in-action-at-uc-davis.aspx
  • Toke69
    Sorry that this is a bit off the point, but does anyone know anything about Leo DeBruhl? There's almost nothing about him on the UC Davis roster site. Seeing as how Coach Les gave him some playing time against Utah State, I assume he's shown something, even though he didn't score. From what I saw of him, he was hustling.

Caleb McGill also impressed but he had some bio: Earned first team all-state and All-Centennial League honors as a senior... Averaged 17.2 points, 7.1 rebounds, 2.2 assists and 1.5 blocks per game that season... Led his team to a 5A State championship in 2018... That successful postseason run ended with 5A Playoff All-Team honors... That season, the Wolves finished 24-4 overall, 11-3 in league play, won a league crown, its last 11 straight, earned a No. 1 ranking in the state of Colorado and No. 37 ranking nationwide... Junior year honor roll included second team All-Centennial League and all-state honorable mention... Averaged 11.4 ppg, 6.2 rpg, 2.3 apg and 1.5 bpg as a junior... Entering his senior year, the Wolves won 80 percent of their games (64-16 combined record) and 33 of 42 matchups against league opponents...

Looks like both young men will contribute and add depth.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    DeBruhl was a very late signing this past summer. His recruiting was hurt by the pandemic and he was going to defer college for a year to try and pickup more interest. Than Les saw him at a camp or tourney and a week or so latter he signed. Here’s a good article.
    https://scorebooklive.com/washington/2021/07/26/leo-debruhls-up-and-down-recruiting-journey-ends-with-late-surprise-2021-commitment-to-uc-davis/
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I wonder if the basketball team is traveling with football. Clearly the timing of the game was no accident.
  • agalum

If they chartered a 737 they could get north of 200 people in it.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The basketball team played at Reno a few days ago so the might of just hung around the area for today’s game.
  • DrMike
    I had heard it had to do with travel issues, so I’m thinking they want to get out of town early. They wouldn’t fly in today and hit the floor at 2:00.

We’re listed as 7 point favorites. Seems like a high line for an early season matinee. I’ll be there for some of it - have a football teammate returning today after 40 years away and trying to find a sliver of football staff time to visit. I think we’ll have to bail early to do that.
  • Toke69
    ESPN has the Ags as 84% favorites to win. They use their power indices to compute this, but I have no idea how that works.
  • agalum
    Pavilion is empty other than the band, but we’re early
  • agalum
    Defense looking good
  • Toke69
    ESPN+is "experiencing technical difficulties," so there's no audio and no on screen scoreboard, but from just the look of things, the Ags are running all over the Eagles?
  • Toke69
    Of course, the commercials have audio. :)
  • Toke69
    UCD 42, EWU 26 at the half. Neither team is exactly melting iron, but EWU is very sloppy with the ball, 14 turnovers in the first half. Finally got audio about 1:30 into the half. Scott Marsh on play-by-play and Darius Graham doing color. Seems like just the other day, he was guiding the Aggie offense. McGill and DeBruhl getting a lot of playing time and looking pretty good.
  • agalum
    Yes Ags looking good although shooting could be better but defense is making opportunities.
    42-26 at half, Ags
  • BlueGoldAg
    I’m at the game. The Aggie defense have been outstanding. Very aggressive with active hands and the help is there when a player gets beat. Impressive.
  • Toke69
    Marsh said that the Eagles requested an early start so they could go home. They've been in the area since their game against Nevada. It's a young team with a first year coach and a lot of new faces (only one returning starter), so it's no surprise that we're handling them relatively easily. Can't let up, though.
  • Russ Bowlus
    So.
    Many.
    Fouls.
  • Toke69
    So.
    Few.
    Free Throws.
    Made.
    (46/67 )
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Rough finish, but overall the Ags looked good. Honestly think our season comes down to if Anigwe stays healthy and out of foul trouble. I like what I’ve seen from Murphy and McGill but there is a big drop off in production when Anigwe is out of the game.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I really liked our energy, hustle and defense in the first half although our perimeter shooting was not good. EWU's zone gave us problems offensively in the second half and we couldn't buy 3 point shot. It's tough to break a zone down against a team with superior height inside when you can't hit from the outside. Then there game got ragged in the final 10 minutes with lots of fouls and poor FT shooting.

We have not shown that we can hit the 3 so far this year. We are 12 of 47 for 25.5% from beyond the arc. We're going to see a lot of zone until we can establish that we can be dangerous from the perimeter.

I feel like we have more depth this year and can get some solid contributions from the bench. It's nice to see Murphy getting minutes. He's battles tough inside. McGill is coming along nicely this year and he looks like he could become and inside/outside threat. DeBruhl is young but you can see the talent is there. He plays hard and he's going to continue to get better as the year goes along. He'll be able to give Manjon a breather and we'll be able to have a different look with both of them in the game on occasion.

We finally saw BJ Shaw for a couple of minutes today but Cameron Ba hasn't played. I'm not sure what's going on with those two.

We've got work to do but a 2-0 start is promising.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    the first 2-0 start since 2017, and that was beating Bethesda and N. Colorado. And considering we don’t have any true seniors, I’d say this has been an outstanding start. I honestly think the shooting will come around. DeBruhl has a nice release and rotation so he probably just needs to get into rhythm. It’d be nice if Fuller and Adebayo hit a few of their wide open shots.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Caleb showed his frustration with his shooting when he finally hit a 3 and then threw his hands up like he was saying to himself, "Finally, thank God!" He's 1 for 9 from long range so far this year. I think he'll turn it around. Hopefully, Kane Milling will start hitting from the outside also. That is supposed to be his strength. Lots of frustration to spread around since no one has shot well from distance so far.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Just saw that Utah St beat Richmond by 11. Makes our win over them look even better.
  • DrMike
    I saw the first half and was impressed by the defense. Good to see us push the ball inside a bit. Outside shots aren’t falling, but it looks like we’re ready to break out - more often than not, the shots look like they are going fall.

Young guys had their positive moments. They had a little trouble with ball handing which is to be expected, but seemed to fit right in. Certainly held their own on defense. Nice to be 2-0 vs decent teams
  • Toke69
    This team has a lot of potential and Coach Les is the right type of coach to see that that potential turns into a winning season. These kids hustle and it shows in their defense. Sure, they got a little sloppy in the second half today, which is not atypical of a young squad who hasn't learned that you can't take your foot off the gas. I do think they shot a few too many 3s even though they weren't falling. Most college teams can't count on the 3. I still remember the Corey Hawkins lead teams of 2013-2015, of which only one was winning one. I was more concerned that they only had 12 assists, because when the perimeter isn't working, ball movement is the key to beating a zone. It's something they need to work on, along with free throw shooting.
  • 88Aggie
    Nice win. Wish they would have repeated the first half and blown them out by 30 points. Like the depth, hard to tell who is 1st vs 2nd string. Had one set where we had Anigwe and McGill in at the same time and another set where they had DeBruhl and Manjon in at the same time. Like the fact they we can show other teams different looks. I feel like we are rebounding better than prior years so far where we got out rebounded often. Looking very good so far.
  • BlueGoldAg
    They took us to us on the boards in the second half though. They ended up with 51 rebounds to our 41 and they had 20 offensive boards to our 12. They have a height advantage and we battled but 20 offensive boards is way to many. We did a better job against Utah State 41-41.
  • abridge
    I'm enjoying the replay that's now available on ESPN+

I really like the quickness the Ags showed in the first half. Good ball movement. E Wash looked sluggish.

Sure am liking McGill who looks like he had really good prep coaching. I'm hoping Anigwe doesn't continue this trend of fouling out. We had two players foul out by the end of the game and three players with four fouls. These were all starters!

I don't understand the brain-transplants that seem to affect officials. They go in at half-time and they're calling a completely different game.
  • DrMike
    EWU coaches must have got in ref’s ears at the half. I thought we got away with a few fouls that turned into turnovers and points in the first half. Sounds like it was called much closer in the second
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!