• NCagalum
    One would like to think that all players would play their best with complete buy-in with whatever QB the staff goes with - a “professional” approach. However they are human beings with emotions and relationships between each other. I obviously do not know how extensive the alleged feelings were, but it is not a good sign if players are not all in with the QB decision. QB is a real leadership position whether the QB has a more rah-rah or more understated style. So next to coaches, I believe QB is most important with respect to player buy-in.

I think the coaches approach was to let MH play and develop and not make another switch unless things went further south - and erred to sticking with him rather than “error” by switching back to quickly. The press conference were very sIlent and even obtuse on the situation “heroes journey” and such. I can understand why press conferences are guarded - hope that teams discussions are well articulated.
  • movielover
    Things didn't progress offensively like we all hoped. Many here even supported a change. HR went 11 of 26 vs Weber, and had 2 picks vs NC. Hastings then went 28 of 34 vs SLO. Tough to know how much is the OL, play calling, and QB. I've never viewed our QB position this year as 'permanent'.

Guys need to step up for Harrell and Vaughn.
  • CA Forever
    Not a good look at all if the coaching staff is losing the team over the QB situation. If everyone is playing up to their potential then HR is the guy, no question about it. The problem is that, as others have mentioned, he was playing nowhere near his potential post concussion. I was amongst the fans asking for change. The MH experiment has not been a success though. If neither guy is playing up to expectations, you have to go with the guy the team backs. Like I said though, not at all a good look for Dan and the rest of the staff.
  • NCagalum
    Wonder if they are going to use Thorpe more in a split out position now with both Harrell and Vaughn out? Those two were physically bigger and Crawford and Hutton are on the small side. I think some tight end action downfield may be important. Maybe Chaz Davis will see more action and step up at wide receiver.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think we have to keep in mind that what I heard from a player's relative was "their emotional response" to what they say they have been hearing the accuracy of which can not be verified. However, there is no doubt that the leadership and consistency at the QB position has been an issue this year.

HR has looked spectacular for periods of time and then had some difficulties. He got replaced by Hastings and, for a true Fr QB, I think he's done a pretty good job but he has had his difficulties also. Both of them have done very well in stretches and poorly in other stretches but how much of that has to due with running for your life when the OL can't protect you very well also?

I think replacing HR after he didn't seem to be himself after he got injured was justified and giving Hastings quite a bit of time to get more experienced was fine also but, when Hastings began to struggle and the offense was practically dead in the water for quite a while, maybe HR should have been given another chance sooner. Tough call...
  • DrMike
    I agree; play pre injury had slipped, especially with decision making. Great kid but some times coaches have to make tough decisions.
  • CA Forever
    I think it's also important to note that accuracy doesn't necessarily imply effectiveness. Hastings barely went over 200 yards on 28 completions in the game against CP. He also had a pick in that game and has continued to have some issues with picks at inopportune times.
  • DrMike
    I think we can agree QB play hasn’t been stellar since the USD game. HR was very good in the 4th last week; Hastings was very good in the 4th vs Weber. Be nice to have good for all four
  • movielover
    I would hope so. I saw one newer WR miss several attempts, but Thorpe came down w one that seemed heavily contested. But my vantage point on all of these wasn't perfect, I (we) don't have the graded game reports... and I had an emotional response waiting for my cold Gunrock. Thorpe appears to be someone who can extend plays.

Even the wives were questioning the play calling.
  • Riveraggie
    Hastings has been very good in two minute offense type situations. He throws a lot of short to medium sideline routes and is good at those.
    Scott Barry kept referencing open space available in the middle in the Sac game, but it seems that when Hastings threw to the middle of the field it was into double coverage.
    Hasting was not accurate on deep throws against Sac,
  • movielover
    FWIW, in a previous game he nailed some longer throws.

The Harrell home run ball was right there. Huge play. Redo that, and the FG, and that's 10 more points.
  • Riveraggie

Thorpe has started every game since we started conference play. I don’t know what percentage of our plays are two tight ends and what percentage of those Thorpe is split out. I don’t think the two tight end bunched in formations have worked too well, they certainly didn’t against Sac. It’s one more thing that points to our offensive line not being good at run blocking that we resort to two tight ends so often.

On our bigger young wide receivers, Davis looked more athletic than I thought he was based on spot appearances In earlier games. Granfors was unable to catch some balls but he missed a lot of games and I think this was his first action in a while; since Dixie? Larison should get some time at wide receiver and Tompkins as well. Those guys can be deadly on screen plays.
    Losing Harrell and Vaughn means losing deep threats. Any offensive players on roster as fast as Harrell or. Vaughn?
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!