• Dotherightthing
    Hello UC Davis basketball fans. Just wanted to make you aware of a situation involving the Hawaii radio announcer and your cheerleaders/dancers at last week's game.

Long story short, his mic was left on inadvertently during a commercial break and his comments about the cheerleaders/dancers was broadcast on air. Basically called them "heifers" and said a couple of them weighed 190 pounds.

People in Hawaii have been calling out the station for an explanation/apology but has been ignored.

Here is the discussion thread on the Hawaii board ...

http://www.scout.com/college/hawaii/forums/1136-wsn-ohana/15433429-basketball-hawaii-davis-curran
  • agalum
    Thanks for the FYI. Sad the radio announcer had disparaging remarks about the Aggie cheerleaders. Regardless of appearances, they are really smart :).
  • movielover
    He was working for ESPN. Is Women's Studies aware of these comments?
  • Dotherightthing
    If anybody here has connections to the school newspaper or local media in Davis, might be worth passing on the info. Media in Hawaii is protecting their own and not touching the story. The things this 50+ year old man said about 20 year old college students should not be overlooked or swept under the rug.
  • Zander
    is the email address the student newspaper uses for campus news tips. You know more about the background and the announcer than any of us, so it might be better for you to send the email. I don't think my friend at the Aggie still works there, so I can't be much further help.

I see the paper going two ways with this. They might want to call him out and get engaged, or alternately might feel that if nobody from Davis heard the comments in the first place then it doesn't affect them and won't be appreciated by the cheerleaders to dwell on it. Can't hurt to at least notify them though.
  • DrMike
    the downside of notifying the Aggie is that the 'heifer' comment gets out there for students and/or the Davis population to see. i could imagine that could be embarrassing to the ladies on the squad.
  • quadshock
    Thanks for sharing with us. Very unprofessional of him to do so, whether it was accidental or not. As an announcer he should know that there can be technical difficulties or mistakes at times, and furthermore he was representing the school/conference on TV. Not to mention, I imagine the cheer/dance teams already know about this and that's just humiliating.
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Given these events, a UCD-UH matchup in Anaheim would be mighty interesting.....
  • agalum
    the downside of notifying the Aggie is that the 'heifer' comment gets out there for students and/or the Davis population to see. i could imagine that could be embarrassing to the ladies on the squad.DrMike

Dr. Mike is on mark. Everyone has different abilities to deal with adversary, why make someone feel unworthy?
  • NCagalum

Other sad thing is that Davis students these days probably don't know what a heifer is.
  • movielover
    Esp. the snowflake generation.
  • oldschool
    Deleted comment.
  • Toke69
    I am very surprised to learn of this. I've been listening to Bobby Curran in Hawaii for over 20 years now and he has always been a classy, intelligent commentator who is pretty well respected out here. The comments about the cheerleaders is out of character. He is the play-by-play person for all Hawaii football and basketball games and he is usually very objective. I've called him on his morning talk show a few times. He listens and has never given any hint of misogyny. I'll be listening a bit this week to see if he bring it up or apologizes. I hope he knows that there are a lot of Aggies out here, including our former Chancellor, Virginia Henshaw. Maybe I'll call him myself.
  • Toke69
    I listened to Bobby Curran's talk show yesterday but was not able to call him. He did pick UC Davis over NC Central and sounded somewhat contrite when he did. His assistant said something that lead me to believe he had mentioned the "heifer" comment earlier and possibly apologized for it, but I don't know. There is no mention of it on his twitter website.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!