• BlueGoldAg
    I hope he just decided not to return rather than having been shown the door. Bob Williams is a great coach and a class act. No Aggie BB fan will ever forget how he led the Aggies to their miracle DII National Championship in 1998.
  • aggie6thman
    Agree, but after this year it is hard to argue with the direction that UCSB chose to go.
  • movielover
    They probably would be much better next year with players back, but BB is their marquee sport and there were academic issues. Best of luck to coach.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Official announcement:

SANTA BARBARA, Calif. – UC Santa Barbara will not retain head men's basketball coach Bob Williams beyond his current contract, Director of Athletics John McCutcheon announced in a statement on Thursday.

"I informed Coach Williams today that the University will not be extending his contract beyond the current term. As I am attending the Big West Tournament and related league meetings in Anaheim I was not able to inform Bob in person. Public speculation and the potential impact to our men's basketball team members have prompted me to make this announcement now. I hope to meet with team members on my return to campus but will have no additional comments at this time." – John McCutcheon

http://ucsbgauchos.com/sports/m-baskbl/2016-17/releases/20170309rawfz1

Not the way Bob wanted to go out from what he once called "his dream job." I wonder if he will stay in basketball or hang it up and enjoy the good life?

Good luck coach!
  • oldschool
    Wow, UCSB keeping it classy with an over-the-phone firing of a longtime coach.
  • aggie6thman
    No kidding. Worse than SC leaving Kiffin on the tarmac?
  • movielover
    Public speculation? (Press release.) There has been a website dedicated to this topic for at least 6 weeks...given Coach Williams long tenure, I think they had plenty of time to do this face to face.
  • Toke69
    Shame on UCSB
  • 69aggie
    I have so much respect for coach Williams for what he did for UC Davis. I have fond memories of him coming to a meeting in Young Hall in the mid-90's with his wife and kids where the topic was: should UC Davis move to D1? All the coaches were there and staff. I forget who the moderator was, but the two most eloquent speakers were Williams and diane vorchaster in favor of such a move. Strangely Coach Sochor and the football staff were mostly silent that day. Both Williams and vorchaster were of the opinion that such a move would be good, not just for sports, but for the diversity of the university. Well, nothing happened after that meeting for years, but they were very prescient that day with their thoughts which turned out to be very true. I wish Williams the best of luck in the future. He is a great guy!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm sorry to see how things ended for him at UCSB. I too have always had deep respect for him as an excellent coach and a good person. I wish him the best.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!