• agalum
    A rematch of last years conference championship. Go Aggies!
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is the first Aggie game since their win over Gonzaga on December 16th due to the cancellation of the Hawaii and UCR games. It will be interesting to see if the Ags have gathered any rust a result of the long stretch of no games.The Ags are now ranked #10 in the Women's Mid-Major Poll. LB State is #12 and San Diego is listed as also receiving votes.
  • agalum
    Here we go. The anteaters are 5-6. Go Ags!
  • Russ Bowlus
    Interesting starting line-up!
  • Russ Bowlus
    UCD 11 - 14 UCI. Both teams went really cold in the middle of the quarter.

Any watching on teev: are Stobbart and Burns on the bench?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I don’t see them on the bench. In fact I only see 4 jerseys on the bench.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Need some defense and defensive rebounds.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Ugly 2nd quarter has the Aggies in a deep hole 25 - 41.

Svanholm leading the scoring for the Aggies with 7; Hall the leading rebounder with 6. Irvine took 15 more shots than the Aggies--it's a miracle they aren't down by more.

Take some deep breaths in the locker room and come back out with a plan!
  • agalum
    41-25 anteaters at half. Their 3s, and our lack of them is killing us. Not to mention turnovers and the anteaters offensive rebounds.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Turnovers are killing us. Some because Irvine is aggressive but we are very sloppy. 3 TOs by simply not being aware of who was behind us. Just really poor awareness. Need to refocus
  • agalum
    Both teams shooting 39% FGs. Hopefully Jen guides them to a strong second half. But the anteaters look to be a better team than their record suggests.
  • Russ Bowlus
    A brutal start to the third quarter, as well, but the Aggies recovered somewhat to only lose the quarter by one. Ugh. 38-55 after three.

Svanholm with 11 pts, Hall 9. Hall and Harris leading the rebounders with 9 and 5, respectively.

Aggie shooting percentage is actually a tick better than Irvine's, but Irvine has taken 17 more shots.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Deficit down to 11 at the 4Q media timeout: 53-64. Coach running a "medium" line-up of Turner, Konrad, Hall, Shine, and Harris. Interesting!
  • Russ Bowlus
    59-76 Final. Aggies couldn't overcome the Second Quarter of Doom, even with a 7-11, 21 point effort in the 4th.

Hall finishes with a respectable 15/10/6, plus 2 steals and 2 blocks--and 6 TOs, unfortunately.
    Svanholm the next leading scorer with 13.
  • Russ Bowlus
    Irvine commentators over at the Big West Boards don't seem to have noticed that Stobbart and Burns were out. Heh.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Tough game for the Ags coming off a long, Covid break and playing without Stobbart and Burns. Irvine got hot in the second quarter draining several long 3's and the TO bug struck the Ags again. As a result, the Ags got themselves in a hole that they couldn't climb out of.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Stobbart and Burns being out really hurt, but of course we have to play with whoever is healthy. I liked to see both Harris and Brine make a few shots. We could use some more reliable shooters
  • Russ Bowlus
    I hope Sage and Sydney recover and/or are ok!
  • abridge
    I was pleased to see the team pull itself together in the 2nd half of the game. Loss of a point guard hurts as does poor situational awareness by the Ags. The tendency to make passes as if there were no opponents or to force passes when there's no way the pass will be completed continues. Some of this is good coaching by the opponents who have figured out the basics of the Ags' offense and come up with some defensive strategies. But other times it's just poor discipline.

Svanholm had a reasonable game. I thought Hall was absolutely HAMMERED throughout the first half and well into the 3rd quarter. This seemed a rougher game than the Washington State game.

QUESTION: I've heard conflicting reports about games that were cancelled/postponed. Will they be made up or not?
  • BlueGoldAg
    TO's have been a big problem for this team this year. As you stated, poor, hurried, forced passes are the biggest culprit. Irvine was very aggressive and pressed the the Aggies the whole game. I think we'll see more of that by our opponents. The Ags handled the press pretty well but the pressure seems to get us playing faster, almost frantic at times, and that leads to poor passes and TO's.

Yes, Hall was hammered a lot and the officials let the game get very physical which was Irvine's advantage. Hall can can handle the physicality because she's so competitive and tough as is Turner. However, they both can try to do too much at times in reaction to the physicality and turn the ball over.

We'll likely see more pressure and physical play from our conference opponents since it worked for Irvine and since the teams know we have a tendency to get careless with the basketball.

The BW conference is apparently trying to reschedule the cancelled games. We'll have to wait and see.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!