• DrMike
    i received an email with sad news that Aggie legend Jim Speck is dealing with ALS. Some here remember Jim, and may know him. There is a go fund me link included.

I wanted to share the GoFundMe link to a special cause regarding Jim Speck a former Aggie football player who has recently been diagnosed with ALS. Jim was a Quarterback in the early 70’s and a Davis High Graduate. He was inducted into the AGGIE HOF in 1984.

Some of you are already aware of this situation, so my apologies for the repeat. Anyway, Jim is up in Boise Idaho and is having a very difficult time, not only with the Disease, but also financially.

Several Aggie Alumni have gotten together to help support some immediate financial needs to buy a handicap Van as well as help fund part time caregiver support and some other equipment needs. We created a concept called the 100 x 100 Challenge which is 100 former Aggies donated $100 each which would achieve the original goal of $10,000. That was the amount to buy the Van. Well, the good news is that we exceeded the financial goal in less than 10 hours! We are short on the donor goal of 100 donors and are continuing that pursuit. We also raised the goal to $20,000 and I hope to exceed $25,000 before we are finished. They REALLY need the support as I have spoken to them daily this week, and currently, Niese (Jim’s ex wife)is the fulltime caregiver.

In my position, with Nancy having ALS, I know that Niese cannot go on in that capacity without help. It is untenable. Anyway, I wanted you to know about this initiative in the event someone asks you about it. Additionally, please feel free to forward it on to anybody in your Aggie sports network that would be interested in contributing to the cause and writing a comment to Jim. So far, the comments have resulted in a huge uplift to his morale as ALS is a VERY lonely place and the mind can go to dark places. I am extremely proud of the response from the AGGIE community and hope to keep momentum going to shatter our goals and provide much needed relief to this Aggie family. The full story is in the link below. I wanted to also thank Rocko who allowed me to share this with our BOD.

Thanks for the consideration,

pas

https://www.gofundme.com/f/jim-specka-fellow-aggie-in-need?qid=177f19c555e3f7f26c80df1d4d5d7ae8
  • movielover
    Wonderful outpouring.
  • movielover
    New goal met, I'm sure more is appreciated.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!