• Toke69
    UC Davis is a 9.5 favorite over the Matadors who have lost 11 of their last 13. Some Aggie fans might be envious of the fact that CSUN has played almost a full schedule, with only two of their Big West games cancelled, but CSUN has no chance of getting out of the bottom 4 and has only beaten the two teams below them in the league standings. Sadly, they are only one spot between the Aggies at 8th, after UCD lost to UCSB on Thursday. The Ags should win even without Fuller and DeBruhl, noting that we already beat them in Northridge 64-47, back in January.

CSUN ranks 10th in the league in both offense (62.7 pts./game) and defense (71.4 pts./game) and 11th in point differential. Their leading scorer Atin Wright with 14.6 pts/game, good for 78th in the Big West. He got just about his average in the previous matchup. The Matdaor who did the most damage against us, though was 6'9" Onyi Eyisi who had 12 points and 6 rebounds, despite coming off the bench.

Even with the victory over UCD, UCSB is tied with a .500, owning the 6th slot only due to their having beaten the Ags. If UCD can somehow sweep their last three games, the Gauchos can't afford to lose a single game. Hope springs eternal, although it is hard to focus on sports given what is happening to Ukraine.
  • DrMike
    thank goodness for the distraction of Aggie basketball!

The games v Poly really hurt us. Shocked we lost the first one (layoff and lack of useful practices had to hurt) and not playing the home game are two games that could have put us in a great spot for 6
  • DrMike
    I was just reading an article in the Mercury that mentioned that Christian Anigwe’s sister Kristine is currently playing basketball for a team in Turkey that was to compete in the Eurocup in Ukraine. He might be feeling this much more than most.
  • agalum
    Wife and I plan to attend tonight. Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    us too. I think this is my 10th home game (thankfully missed AofA and one no fan game) and I made the game at UOP.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Fuller is still out and DeBruhl is back.
  • Toke69
    Tyler Les is doing the color commentary for ESPN+.
  • Jackbacker
    Tyler is great young man. I always thought it was a huge challenge to play for your father. They both handled it very well. How is he doing as the color announcer?
  • Toke69
    I can tell he is not that experienced at doing color, but he shows that he knows what he's talking about. Nice to hear some inside stuff about his father.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Good first half. I’m continually impressed by Manjon
  • Toke69
    Anigwe has no fouls in the first half!

The crowd looks pretty good, but I don't see many students. Is that because the student section (is there a student section?) is on the same side as the camera. When I was there, students got in for free. I imagine that's no longer the case but I hope they get a discount. The last time I went (2017?) regular tickets were $20.
  • DrMike
    Decent crowd, good student turnout. Solid first half. I expect us to play a lot of zone and DARE them to shoot from the outside. Smart with the ball, good shot selection and we win easy
  • Jackbacker
    For undergrads they still get into the student sections for free. If those seats are all taken the students have the chance to pay for a ticket. But demand from the students is never that high.
  • Toke69
    Looks like UC Davis has gone back to the man-to-man. Not clear why because the zone was working. Still, CSUN isn't doing well in general. Their leading scorer, Atin Wright, is 0 for 8.

And of course as soon as I wrote that, Wright hits back to back buckets for 5.
  • DrMike
    Finally an easy win!
  • abridge
    I can't find the replay on ESPN+ ????
  • DrMike
    might be too early?
  • DrMike
    Weird game. Played well on both ends in the first half, subpar offense (especially shooting) in second half……and win by 20. Northridge is bad and they looked like they’ve maybe given up. Tough situation for them. Anigwe looked like the Anigwe of TD early season which is good. Hope fuller is back soon - our interior defense and rebounding really suffer without him. I think Fuller wore down tonight trying to play post defense.

Pretty good crowd, but a little flat.
  • DrMike
    UCSB beat Riverside in 2OT; almost impossible to pass them for 6 spot
  • agalum
    Yeah, flat crowd but solid turnout. Enjoyed sitting with our good friends Mrs. and DrMike. Might be the spring game before we all get back together. We always enjoy meeting Aggies. Tonight, we sat in the team aggie event with a physician and his wife from N. Carolina. If you’re not a member of team aggie consider joining. It supports the teams and provides a neat venue for meeting “liked” minded folks.
  • DrMike
    always good to hang out with you and your better half!

1500 fans yesterday which might be our highest. I think the dead crowd was mostly in the second half when there seemed to be no suspense and the offense was clunky. In the first half they shoot 34%, with 0-8 from the arc (at least 2 air balls….they are bad), while we were 52% with 4-8 from the arc (including first shots by Angiwe and Pepper). Second half? They were even worse at 29% although they were 4-12 from the arc. We dropped to 31%, 1-8 from the arc. A couple threes may have perked up the crowd. Lots of fouls on them slowed the pace- our best burst was Pepper’s 4 FTs on 2 Ts!

All in all, a good time at the Arc
  • movielover

Tyler Les. "How is he doing as the color announcer?"

Poor. ESPN+ should get a campus radio station graduate.
  • Toke69
    I do not like the was official call illegal screens these days. There was one call that went against CSUN yesterday that was clearly missed and resulted in the double technical and a 7 point play for the Aggies (which has to be some kind of record), but when I went back to look at it, I not only did not see the CSUN player move, but I hardly saw any contact at all. UCD has had its share of such bad calls. There was one against Borra on Thursday that was almost as bad. The NCAA needs to go back to the drawing board on the ways those are called.
  • DrMike
    I couldn’t agree with you more! Borra gets one at least once a game when he might move his hip an inch or two on a screen above the circle. Not only tacky-tack but has almost no bearing on the play. The one on CSUN was bad. Not even sure there was contact
  • BlueGoldAg
    From the Enterprise article about the game:

Cameron Ba and B.J. Shaw saw their last action on their home floor, while starter Caleb Fuller, who will also been gone next season, sat out the game with an injury suffered a week ago. Fuller is expected to be ready for action next week.

“It’s a tough time of year, because these guys become a part of your family, and then that changes in an instant,” said Aggie head coach Jim Les.

“A part of you is sad because you’re going to miss them, but a part of you is proud as they go out into the world. We tell them ‘once an Aggie, always an Aggie,’ and that they’re an Aggie for life. If they ever need anything at any point in the future, just give us a call. These are high-class guys with great character who are going to go out and represent this university well.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-uc-davis-men-too-much-for-matadors/
  • abridge
    Here are a few shots from the game:

CSUN @ UCD men's basketball
  • BlueGoldAg
    I really love these action shots, Adam. Thanks for posting them.
  • abridge
    Thanks for looking. I enjoy sharing.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!