• agalum
    Does anyone have an opinion on the top prep men’s basketball programs in the Sacramento region that also is strong academically? From what i could determine, the strong bb programs were weaker academically. Jesuit looked about the best that combined the two criteria.
  • Jackbacker2
    Granite Bay is public co-ed and a very good school. the Grizzles were better than Jesuit this year. Modesto Valley Christian will get more games in every year and more play-off experience.over a high school career.
  • agalum
    Thanks. Modesto is a bit of a drive. Granite bay might be too far as well. Too bad Sheldon isn’t rated higher academically.
  • DrMike
    here’s how they ranked the Sac-Joaquin area teams basketball wise

https://www.maxpreps.com/m/rankings/basketball/1/section/ca/sac-joaquin+section.htm

Besides Jesuit, I’d guess the suburb schools (Elk Grove, Rockiln) would have decent academics
  • 72Aggie
    Granite Bay may be a public school, but the neighborhood is pretty expensive.
  • agalum
    Thanks guys. Grandson is turning out to be a superb basketball player. He’s been playing the Sac area leagues since 5 or 6. He’s only 11, but my son is trying to research best HS options for him now. Interestingly, he currently is 2” taller than Shaq was at the same age. Most kids his age only reach his shoulders in height, so you can imagine he dominates in the paint.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Time to start taking him to Aggie games and sell him on being an Aggie when he goes to college!
  • agalum

Yep, he’s been to a bunch. Of course I’m biased, but he is in all honor classes and gets straight A s. My son did one of his graduate degrees at Stanford. He loves UCD, and when he was a kid i dragged him to all the home football games and quite a few bb games. But the grandson at this stage has his goal set on Stanford. I wish i had that level of direction at such a young age.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I wish i had that level of direction at such a young age.agalum

For sure!

My only goal when I graduated from high school was to get a fast car and find a pretty girlfriend and that's what I did! I started working at the Chrysler Transmission Plant in Kokomo, Indiana, on my 18th birthday and bought a 1964 Corvette shortly after that. But then, Uncle Sam spoiled all the fun with the Vietnam War and off I went to the service for 4 years. The good part about being in the service was that it made me realize just how badly I wanted to get out and go to college! So after I got out I was able to use the GI Bill and I graduated from Davis in 1975.
  • agalum

Bunch of buddies got their degree on the GI program. I was 1A when Nixon pulled us out. Arrived at UCD 1 year after you left.
    Thank you for your service.
  • Jackbacker2
    All who have served thank you.

If you believe the grandson wants to play high level ball, then it's AAU ball that you need to re-search. My cousin's son is in Atlanta and devotes a crazy amount of time and money. The 14-year-old plays AAU travel ball and will go 12-14 week-end series including show case events. Twice a week private coaching for speed, twice a week a strength coach and twice a week a shooting coach. This is crazy but is the norm for much of the South. Not sure what Sacramento has going but I would think this level of development is not that unusual and more important than high school ball.
  • agalum

Thanks, good info. There is a basketball training center in Roseville. They go there, but right now he’s also playing baseball and football. My son mentioned the traveling team. The one in Sac is very expensive. Some of those kids are on his Sac area league team. And UCD has a bb camp in June. Unfortunately its during a week when they are traveling. Boy are things different than when i was a kid.
  • Jackbacker2
    Tough to know what the best path is. I believe in a multi-sport track, but in some sports tennis, basketball and soccer this may not be the best plan in 2022. For football I still believe in doing other sports, track is a great sport for every football player.

My best advice is to let the grandson know where the current passion is and follow that season by season.

In high school I opened my local high school gym on Saturdays and that was my Saturday job from 7:00 am to 6:00 pm. I swept the floors 7-8 am and again 5-6 pm/. Kurt Rambis came by to shoot his 500 hundred free throws and play. He was SO good. Hard to believe he was only a white banger in the NBA.

Good luck to your family!
  • Russ Bowlus
    ^^ Cupertino native?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!