• BlueGoldAg
    Preseason All-Big Sky

Offensive MVP – Ulonzo Gilliam Jr. (UC Davis)
    Defensive MVP - Patrick O'Connell (Montana),

OFFENSE
    QB – Tommy Mellott (Montana State)
    RB – Isaiah Ifanse (Montana State), Ulonzo Gilliam Jr. (UC Davis)
    FB – R. J. Fitzgerald (Montana State)
    TE – Marshel Martin (Sacramento State)
    WR – Beau Kelly (Portland State), Efton Chism III (EWU), Pierre Williams (Sacramento State)
    C – Connor Pettek (UC Davis)
    OG – Jake Parks (UC Davis), Brandon Weldon (Sacramento State)
    OT – Noah Atagi (Weber State), Jonas Leader (NAU)

SPECIAL TEAMS
    K – Kyle Sentkowski (Sacramento State)
    RS – Malik Flowers (Montana)
    AP – Asher O'Hara (Sacramento State)

DEFENSE
    DT – Alex Gubner (Montana), Joshua Jerome (EWU)
    DE – VJ Malo (Portland State), Brody Grebe (Montana State)
    OLB – Patrick O'Connell (Montana), David Hoage (UNC)
    ILB – Callahan O'Reilly (Montana State), Fa'Avae Fa'Avae (Idaho)
    CB – Justin Ford (Montana), Anthony Adams (Portland State)
    S – Robby Hauck (Montana), Morgan Vest (NAU)
    P – Bryce Leighton (Montana State)
    LS – Tommy Sullivan (Montana State)

https://ucdavisaggies.com/news/2022/7/25/football-gilliam-jr-named-preseason-offensive-mvp-aggies-trio-earns-preseason-all-big-sky.aspx
  • eastbayaggie
    Two 1st team linemen and I thought our weakness is linemen.
  • DavisAggie
    who said our weakness' is lineman?
  • eastbayaggie
    That was my bad assumption apparently.
  • Riveraggie
    Ulonzo Gilliam 8 carries for 17 yards against Sacramento says something. Or the team rushing for 73 yards in that game. We do better on pass protection, but it’s been a common observation here that our QBs don’t have the time our opponents have,
    We are in the middle of the conference for rushing offense, with probably better than average ball carriers.
    Some explain this as being due to deficiencies of our QBs who always are first in line for credit or blame. Or maybe it’s the offensive system. But I think we get beat in the trenches against the good teams. If we want to be good we need to improve in a lot of areas.
  • NCagalum

But I think we get beat in the trenches against the good teams.
    I would agree with you. Line of scrimmage is often the key - especially against better opponents.
  • movielover
    Our play calling is predictable.
  • agalum

“ But I think we get beat in the trenches against the good teams. If we want to be good we need to improve in a lot of areas.”

At the first signing party after Hawk was hired, he made a point of saying that we needed size up front to compete with the top tier teams. He also said that process was going to take time, it wasn't going to happen overnight.

Gilliam’s numbers were off last season, and i always wondered if the OL and QB situation made us so predictable the D could stack the box and shut him down. Did that play a role in him entering the portal?
  • DrMike
    I think you’ll see a new approach in the running game this year. No more trying to outmuscle the other team, and instead using our quickness to our advantage.
  • 69aggie
    We we’re great until Rodrigues went down and we never recovered from that. Hawk has an offense that must rely on a quick quarterback that will improvise like jake was able to do. If we get a guy like that again we can do well next season. I never thought that barrier’s OL was all that good but look what he did. Joke about his Fanny but he absolutely killed us and all,of the rest of the BSC. Praying for a new and talented QB next season. Hope it happens but I will be in Ireland watching all of their very entertaining events not the Aggies.
  • agalum

“ I think you’ll see a new approach in the running game this year. No more trying to outmuscle the other team, and instead using our quickness to our advantage.”
    Wasn’t that our approach during the D2 days? Maybe Hawk adjusts his offense based on the cards he’s holding. We went to that fast paced no huddle offense then abandoned it. It seems we did well with it as i recall.
  • Riveraggie
    Please outmuscle the other team, at least have that option.
    It makes the game so much smoother looking, I don’t know if it’s because I’m biased but we often seem to have to walk a tightrope to put a drive together, fighting for every play, quarterback under pressure, receivers covered, great catch in traffic, runner breaks two tackles and gains three yards, etc. I have the Weber game in mind when I write this.
  • movielover

We have Babbs back, which is key, and LL has gained experience to augment AG. It will be great if a few new receivers step up. Really an unknown. Hopefully CH steps up.

Our D line lost some studs, and we've got huge young DTs.

UC Davis Athletics Facebook / PR recent posting featured Miles Hastings, Cam Newton, Magic, Gomez, Poerio and Amoah.
  • movielover
    Draft Diamonds: Lance Babbs

Most underrated Aggie? Chris Venable.

https://www.nfldraftdiamonds.com/2022/06/lance-babb-ii/
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!