• CA Forever
    The Aggies finally get a home game after a tough first 2 weeks on the road and it's our old friend in the Toreros coming to town. San Diego comes into this match up with a 1-1 record with a 58-0 win over division 3 La Verne and a narrow 27-28 loss to Cal Poly where the Toreros were actually up 10 going into the 4th quarter.

On offense the Toreros are lead by QB Judd Erickson who on the season has completed 31/60 passes (51.67%) for 436 yards with 3 passing touchdowns and 3 interceptions. Erickson's top target has been WR Jefferson Vance who has 9 receptions for 161 yards and 2 touchdowns. San Diego's top rusher has been RB Chris Childers who has gained 155 yards on 30 rushing attempts with 1 touchdown. All-in-all, the Torero offense dominated a division 3 team and was in control against Cal Poly until they caught the turnover bug in the 4th quarter.

On defense, the Toreros are lead by DL Muhindo Kapapa who has 12 tackles, 3 tackles for loss, and 2.5 sacks, and a forced fumble over the first 2 games of the season. Additionally, DL Jacob Saewitz has 5 tackles with 4.5 tackles for loss, and 2 sacks. Cal Poly dropped nearly 400 yards of passing on this defense so this should be a good opportunity to let Hastings loose a little bit and see what he can do against a defense that should have some soft spots.

In the kicking game, the Toreros are currently 5/6 on field goals between 2 kickers with a long of 43. Aidan Lehman is handling the punting duties with an average of 42.5 yards per punt and has landed 5 of his 8 punts on the season inside the 20.

Whenever San Diego comes to town it should represent a winnable game. I'm not saying that the Aggies will win or always have won, but if we show up to play we should be the favorites. If the Aggies don't look good in this one then we are in for a really rough season.
  • Riveraggie
    Interesting that San Diego’s passing coordinator for the last two seasons is now our tight end coach.
    From his profile:
    “ Taylor Chapatte enters his first season in 2022 as the Aggies tight ends coach. Chapatte comes to Davis from the University of San Diego, where he spent four seasons as an assistant coach.
    Chapatte was the pass game coordinator/quarterbacks coach for two seasons with the Toreros and was the wide receivers coach the previous two seasons. ”
  • movielover
    FWIW, week 4 opponent, Weber, had a historic win and is now ranked #10 by Athlon.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just looked at 5 different FCS polls and the Aggies are generally around #25 or not ranked in the top 25 at all but listed as receiving votes. We won't be moving up no matter how tough our schedule is until we start winning some games against some quality opponents. You simply don't get much respect by losing close games no matter who you are playing.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The San Diego presser was excellent and Hawk's comment in regard to the Aggie offense burning a TO on the first play of the second half of the SDSU game was hilarious. Some context here: Misty is Hawk's wife and their son (Cody) is our offensive coordinator:

Hawk said, "I was not happy about that and Misty's son got an earful about it." :rofl:
  • agalum
    https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/story/2022-09-10/toreros-let-one-slip-away-to-cal-poly-28-27

“USD unveiled an offensive twist, using former Iowa State quarterback Re-Al Mitchell in tandem with starting QB Judd Erickson. Mitchell completed two passes, both for touchdowns, one to Erickson.”

Apparently Mitchel is a dual threat qb that can scramble. Interesting, one of his TD tosses was to the starting qb Erickson.
  • movielover
    I saw 2 trick plays on the game highlights.
  • NCagalum
    A couple thoughts:
    Don’t take anything for granted in college football. The Aggies can’t mail this one on. I watched the Illinois State (MVFC) vs. Valparaiso (bottom tier Pioneer league) game and Valpo almost won. iSU won 28-21.

Cal Poly passed for 385 yards on the Torreros. It is very strange to think Poly may have a better passing game than Davis. The Ags would normally shred something like this. If the passing game doesn’t pick up this game, it does not bode well. Optimally, there would be enough of a lead that would allow some snaps for another quarterback later in the game.
  • AggieFinn
    San Diego is always tough, I don't think anybody is overlooking these guys.

When you're 0-2, you gotta be hungry...so expecting a lot of run early, with play-action on the setups. USD will likely expect this and sell out against the run early, so we'll see what game Cody plays with them.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is absolutely awesome! I loved the steam whistle tradition at The Toom although it scared me every time I got close to it while it rattled and rumbled and belched and leaked steam. It seemed like it was about to blow up at any given moment!

That's a wonderful article by Dunning too. I was at the Lehigh game and remember how thick the fog was at the 10 a.m. kickoff. All you could do is watch the ball disappear into the gray gloom. His article brought back a lot of memories of that game and the steam engine.
  • Zander
    Is anyone actually able to access their season ticket bar codes? I've just had a series of conflicting messages that are getting on my nerves:

1. Invited to ticket pickup event
    2. Event cancelled, email said tickets would be mailed
    3. Called office, they told me they would be all digital tickets
    4. No tickets listed on my account logging into ticket site from desktop
    5. Game appears under my account when logging into mobile, told to check 48 hours before event for actual ticket
    6. Check tonight (within 48 hours); mobile site STILL says to wait until 48 hours before event, but also says that there's no mobile pass going to be available anyway?

I'm sure this is all going to be fine and I'm not going to be denied entry to the game or anything, but this brings me back back to the minor league kind of logistics problems that haunted Athletics back when I went to school. Having a reliable way to deliver tickets to your season ticket holders when you had 9 months advance notice that they were going to go to the game, and being able to properly communicate what that delivery method would be, should have been solved literally decades ago no???

EDIT: Searched my mail again, found a packet. Got excited that this might be the solution only that it's pretty much an empty envelope with a flyer that says my tickets will be emailed to me as links. I received no such email.
  • AggieFinn

I'm shocked things aren't working perfectly through UC Davis Athletics.
  • agalum

Zander, my season ticket package and parking pass was mailed 8/24. I assume it was in our mailbox the next day. It’s a laynard pass with a bar code. If yours didn’t arrive you should call athletics today. It came in a big envelope.
  • agalum
    The toreros are no joke. Remember that fumble on the one as the game clock counted down? They had us beat and probably were the better team that day. They will come out swinging.

Us old timers love the steam engine. Sochor used to say it was good for 7 points. Totally awesome that we’re getting it back.
    Aggie Football!
  • DrMike
    did you check your spam folder? About 1 in 15 of my emails from athletics ends up there. No rhyme nor reason (yahoo).

Else call and they’ll mail. Had to do that with Cal tickets and got them immediately
  • BlueGoldAg
    Excerpts from Bob Dunning's article about the game:

Dale Lindsey has seen a ton of football in his 79 years, but he didn’t like what he saw last Saturday as his University of San Diego Toreros blew a 17-0 lead and dropped a heartbreaking 28-27 non-conference football decision to Cal Poly.

“We were able to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory,” Lindsey said after the Cal Poly loss, a game USD led 27-14 entering the fourth quarter, but was done in by interceptions on three straight possessions down the stretch."

“You’ve got to play 60 minutes,” Lindsey added. “I think we played a good 48 minutes, but we couldn’t play the last 12.”

Full article here: https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/bob-dunning-uc-davis-football-column-preview/
  • 69aggie
    I always loved the steam ENGINE! I hate to be picky, but I don’t think it’s the same old one which as I recall was all black. This is a ringer! But I truly do not care. This one was probably engineered by the regents to reduce the insurance premiums on the original black old thing. I can’t get by the enterprise paywall, so I don’t know the details. One problem I recall is when I took my son the the games he would always want to go the see the “steam engine” and then I couldn’t get him back to the stands! Whether or not it’s the original, if it gets us 7 points I am a fan.
    !
  • DrMike
    Despite being ‘non scholarship’ USD has two NFL players: Ross Dwelley and Michael Bandy. They figure a way to get quality skill players into the program.
  • agalum

I was told that while they are non-scholarship, there are other ways they support athletes, such as tuition credit. I don’t remember the rest of the details but the athletes get some sort of support.
  • agalum
    Game time weather, 69’ F, cloudy, 9 mph wind, wsw.
  • DrMike
    that’s why I put that in quotes!
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Is this the freshman run game? Or is that next week vs Weber?
  • Riveraggie

When Davis non scholarship I remember coaches of opponents saying the same.
    The Ivys are non scholarship, they just pay the costs of attendance for some other reason.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!