• Jackbacker2
    2 World Series and One ring. Was a great Aggie and an amazing pro!
  • AggieFinn
    I was lucky enough to be on campus during those Rex Peters coached years, big memories of beating Stanford in the western regional opener and going toe-to-toe with Oregon State at home, I think it was a 2-1 game. The Aggies were fun to watch when Descalso was out there.

I think it was 2008, when there was the western regional playoffs in Palo Alto. Aggies won the first 4-2 @ Stanford, then dropped two straight to get bounced out.
  • AggieFinn2
    The Aggies had a lead going into the 9th inning of the regional elimination game but couldn't hold it . How nice would it have been to have eliminated Stanford from their own regional.

I think that's about the ceiling for the baseball program. UCD not likely to be able to recruit enough elite talent, let enough have enough of them playing well at the same time, to be able to reach the College World Series. You could say something similar about the men's basketball team.

On the positive side it looks like any success the baseball team will have will be more sustainable with Nicholson as head coach. The roster for this season has significantly more transfers, and that experience should mean they make fewer fielding errors if nothing else. Under the old regime they had longer adjustment periods because the majority of the new players were less-experienced freshmen. That this team managed to win 6 games last year with all the adversity they faced was an an enormous accomplishment.
  • AggieFinn2
    Actually I'm getting my years mixed up. The regional was indeed in 2008, but Descalso wasn't on that team-he was drafted the year before
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!