• movielover
    There have to be 5 or 6 big games in the series for various reasons.

2022 - this CC means something - the Hornets are ranked #2 nationally, undefeated, and the Aggies are fighting for a playoff birth. Troy Taylor and the Hornets are getting accolades, and the Aggies on a 5 game win streak and peaking. Huge game.

Early 1980s - Coach Mattos commented on the rivalry, and I believe Coach Sochor said its not a rivalry until they beat us. We buried them.
  • movielover
    No other contenders for legendary Causeway Classic games?

Wasn't one played at Hughes Stadium?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think there have been several games at Hughes Stadium over the years. I forget the exact year but, the most memorable one for me, was the game that was played in deep mud and driving rain with 6 inches of standing water in the center of the field. We won the game with a long TD bomb to Onomo Ojo. It was the worst playing conditions I ever saw for a football game. I'm sure the field was ruined.
  • movielover
    Recall we had a horrible field in 82. Toomey was a mud bowl and was finally paid some attention.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I know we played sac at Hughes in 85. And it was raining (girlfriend at the time, now wife, had burned her feet so she had to put bags on them to keep them dry). Also played at Hughes in 89 and 91. That’s about the extent of my memory.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes, The Toom could be a mud bowl too. I remember it was kind of a source of embarrassment that we were hailed as a top agriculture school but we couldn't keep grass growing on the football field. :scream:
  • Toke69
    I don't know when Sac State got their own stadium, but I grew up in Sacramento and I always remember the Hornets playing at Hughes. I went to one rivalry game there before it was called the Causeway Classic. Must have been in 1968. We weren't very good then and, according to the Internet we lost 24-7. My memory fails me, but I think the QB was Paul Hackett.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Lightning game @Aggie Stadium. I had to leave when the stadium was evacuated. The Chris Carter inbounds game the year before. I was at that game wth a bunch of fellow students.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!