• Toke69
    I never liked any conference with so many teams that the schedule can be unfair depending on the matchups. This year's Aggies are a case on point. Half their schedule is top ranked teams so they lose 5 games. The other half is weak teams so people ask, "so who've you beaten?" It seems unlikely that the FCS playoff committee will recognize this inequity, but I hope they do. UC Davis deserves to be in the playoffs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    EWU 45 Northern Colorado 21 - Final
  • BlueGoldAg
    Unfortunately, that's the story in the Big Sky Conference.
    Strength of schedule will always be a crap shoot each year with some teams benefiting and others getting screwed.
  • 72Aggie
    Cal Poly finished the season on a small up tick, beating Portland State 49-42. Good for them!
  • 72Aggie
    Pardon a Sunday morning free-form rant.

I prefer a conference where everyone plays everyone else. Unfortunately we are stuck in this system. How do you get two decent football conferences out of the schools in the Big Sky? As football only members Davis and Cal Poly don't have much say in this. The other schools could make this manageable by kicking us out, and then where do we go?

The Missouri Valley Football Conference is a distinct entitiy from the Missouri Valley Coference for other sports. Can you do that with the Big Sky schools? Where would you find other schools to come up with whatever minimum membership the NCAA requires for an auto-bid?

I thinik there is a weird arrangement with the WAC and the Atlantic Sun, as well as the Ohio Valley and Southland where the combined conferences get an autobid between them. Ivy League does not participate in post season play and the winners of two FCS/HBCU conferences (MEAC and SWAC) meet in an annual bowl rather than compete in the NCAA playoffs.

The fourteen teams in the Big Ten are divided into two divisions for football. Each team plays the other six teams in its division and three teams in the other division for a nine game conference schedule. I have seen seasons where my beloved Hawkeyes play only weak teams in the east, but this year they played both Michigan and An Ohio State. (and sadly have done just well enough in the Big Ten Worst that they may make it to the conference championship and have to play one of those schools again.) It will only get more confusing when the LA schools join.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!