• AggieFinn
    Let the totally unbiased UC Davis discussion begin.
    1. Ags In? (12 votes)
        Yes
        25%
        No
        75%
  • SoCalAggie
    One game over 500 shouldn’t be good enough.
  • CA Forever
    The answer should be no. Are we a better team than some that will make the playoffs? Yes, but 6-5 just isn't enough.
  • aggie08
    Good enough? Yes. 1 possession losses to the top 2 seeds overall. And another top tenish team in Weber. Absolutely crushed the lower tier teams

Will committee select them? Likely not. imo 80-90% chance they pass. Aside from the record, Ags consistently compete but lose to top 10 teams. Imo, we’re a top 15-20 team. If however we’re selected, it’s a nightmare draw bc Ags have a punchers chance vs anyone and could run up the score vs a lower tier auto bid
  • agalum
    N. Iowa got in at 6-5 one year. But i just don’t think we’re a playoff team in the field of teams out there nationally.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I honestly think that we are as good as at least half, if not more, of the teams that will get in but, unfortunately, I don't think we will get in. We have 4 close loses to highly ranked FCS teams and one FBS team but, the fact remains, that we have only one win that anyone notices and that's the win over Idaho in their house. Are we good enough, yes, compared to many of the teams that will get in. Will we get in, no. Sac gave us the boot.
  • CA Forever
    Dropping all of SDSU, Weber, MSU, Sac is too much to overcome. Even 1 win out of those 4 changes the playoff perspective entirely.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We lost quite a few players to injuries in today's game. If we were to get in, we would probably be at much less than full strength also.
  • AggieFinn
    Winning close games matters
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yes it does and we didn't win a single close game this year.
  • AggieFinn
    Feel bad for the seniors, we'll see. What time is the selection show on?
  • BlueGoldAg
    The FCS Selection Show will be televised tomorrow morning on ESPNU at 9:30 a.m. PT.
  • DavisAggie
    Unquestionably.
    4th best team in the best conference
    top defense in points allowed
    3rd most points scored
    only team nationally to play 4 top-10 schools
    lost by 2 to South Dakota St, allowing only 250 yards
    lost by 6 to Sac St, the other top 2 team
  • DavisAggie
    You will see absolute garbage teams get in the last slots, so no
  • BlueGoldAg
    I couldn't agree with you more but I don't think the committee will take the time to consider the facts that you just stated. They'll see 6-5 and look away. I hope they don't but I think that's the way it's going to go.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    So for what it’s worth hero sports has us as last one in at #24

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2022-playoff-predictions-final-bzbz/
    I didn’t think 6-5 would make it this year, but UC Davis has a legit case. It is 6-4 vs. the FCS with four losses to Top 10 teams and only losing by a score to SDSU, Weber State, and just took Sac State to the wire. UC Davis also owns a dominant win from Week 11 against Idaho, who looks to be in the field. UC Davis had a five-game winning streak of crushing opponents until losing 27-21 tonight at Sac State. UC Davis also has the No. 7 SOS, higher than the bubble teams below.
  • AggieFinn
    At #24 I think that guarantees Davis would play #9
  • Kerberos
    No I think after the seeds the rest of the field is determined based on geography (with the home team being the one that has a higher $$ bid)
  • BlueGoldAg
    It would be awesome if the selection committee does their homework and the Aggies get in. How awesome would it be if we got selected and won a game or two and ended up getting a rematch with Sac.
  • 72Aggie
    Scheduling favors geography, and tries to avoid first round games between teams in the same conference or which have played each other in the regular season.

I was around the other time we lost to them twice in a season. Not fun.
  • agalum

Matter of opinion. We’ll see tomorrow.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    Was there supposed to be a re-match if they had upset SDSU last year or am I not remembering correctly?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Here's a comment from an NDSU fan on the AGS Forum:

I think UC Davis is out and that's a shame. In the running for best team in history left out. Has anybody ever played three top 4 seeds before? Just 16 combined points would give them wins over SDSU, Weber, and Sac St and a top 2 seed.

It's been that kind of season for the Aggies...

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?318621-Final-Playoff-Prognostication
  • Kerberos
    yes the winner of that game went to Sac State. It could happen again this year too if we get in
  • AggieFinn
    6-5 G Webb a lock
  • cmt
    Will we get in? I don’t think so.

Should be get in? Probably.

Are we one of the best whatever number (don’t know how many auto-bids there are) of at large teams? Yes.
  • cmt
    Northern Iowa got in at 6-5 in 2021 but beat 3 playoff teams including winning at Sac and at South Dakota St. UNI got in at 6-5 in 2018 but beat South Dakota St (#5 seed in the playoffs) that year also. We don’t have wins like that.

UNI did lose to a couple non playoff teams those years also and we don’t have losses like that either.
  • 72Aggie
    Eleven auto-bids and thirteen at-large. The garbage slots will be the auto-bids from the weaker conferences. I think there’s even some arrangement where two weak conferences, neither of which has the minimum number of teams for such a bid, are combined to allow a single auto-bid between them.
  • 72Aggie
    I don’t think the policy about conference opponents or opponents from regular season games applies to second round games.
  • cmt
    I don't know if there is more than 1 other team to have done this but the answer to his question is yes, a team has played 3 of the top 4 seeds before.

The 2019 UC Davis Aggies faced:
    1. North Dakota State
    3. Weber State
    4. Sacramento State

Oh and for good measure they also played
    5. Montana State
    6. Montana

They also faced an 8-5 Cal team.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!