• Fan4Life
    Sports Illustrated is suggesting Troy Taylor for the Stanford HC job.
    https://www.si.com/college/cal/news/troy-taylor-stanford-speculation
  • CA Forever
    I would think he would take that job in a heartbeat if offered
  • 69aggie
    Never happen. Stanford is just another place. Many thought Sochor would be a great choice for the Stanford HC. But no, none other than John Brodie said no. Something about him being not Stanford enough. His qualifications for that statement: his wife was from woodland and she agreed.
  • NCagalum
    It would be a challenge and I think he would do as well as any potential hire. It would be a bit weird being a Cal grad coaching Stanford, but opportunities like this don’t come around every day.
  • agalum
    KCRA reporting tonight that Taylor is in the final two for the Stanford HC position.
  • CA Forever
    It sounds like it's Taylor and that is overwhelmingly fantastic news for Aggie fans

• CA Forever
    And if Taylor takes the job what are the chances he tries to bring along Assistant Head Coach Kris Richardson and guys like RB Cameron Skattebo?
  • DrMike
    the transfer issue is something Stanford has to figure out. I’d read in the last 3 years, they have had something like 22 transfer out, and one transfer in.
  • agalum
    Well, if he wasn’t interested I doubt he would visit the campus.
    Regarding taking players with him, they’ll have to be able to pass university level classes, lol.
  • agalum
    I’m surprised this info was released while sac is still in the playoffs.
  • 72Aggie
    Stanford's current QB, Tanner McKee, just declared for the NFL draft: https://www.si.com/college/stanford/football/stanford-quarterback-tanner-mckee-declares-for-2023-nfl-draft

However they have a commitment from a four star recruit at QB....who is apparently only a junior, but may graduate from high school and enter college a year early...which makes you wonder what Stanford's notoriously tight admissions office has to say. https://www.si.com/college/stanford/recruiting/stanford-lands-massive-commitment-from-four-star-quarterback-myles-jackson

A four star QB and Taylor could be interesting....
  • 72Aggie

The bigger school calls the shots. Look how many coaches have moved on when their current school still has a bowl game. If this is true, Stanford wants recruits to know who's going to be the coach.
  • agalum
    https://eedition.sacbee.com/html5/reader/production/default.aspx?pubname=&pubid=7218502a-ca19-4351-8b3a-6d7d686ee524

“Multiple national reports have identified Sacramento State coach Troy Taylor and former Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett as finalists for the Stanford football post that was vacated when David Shaw resigned last month.

Taylor is a well-known name in Northern California. He earned his third Big Sky Conference Coach of the Year award this season in addition to being named AFCA Region 5 FCS Coach of the Year this week. Taylor has led the Hornets to a 12-0 record and the No. 2 national FCS ranking heading into Friday night’s quarterfinal playoff game against Incarnate Word of San Antonio.”

“The Stanford job would, of course, mean a significant boost in salary if Taylor is offered the job and he accepts. Taylor makes about $250,000 in base salary with Sacramento State, which can be surpassed with a number of bonuses, such as Coach of the Year honors. Stanford paid Shaw in excess of $6 million annually. Even half of that salary would be a towering figure over what Sacramento State could offer.

Sacramento State athletic director Mark Orr has told The Bee multiple times that his biggest concern is losing Taylor, and the one-time Cal cornerback added last week, “Every big college football job should have Troy Taylor on their list. He’s that good. Of course, we don’t want to lose him.”
  • agalum
    Off the hornet boards:

“ An email went out to key boosters today, Taylor will be announced after our game this weekend, and introduced on the Farm next week.

No word on whether he will see the playoff run through or not if we win tonight.”
  • AggieFinn

Well, there you go, sounds like it's happening...I mean, for millions and a chance to coach in the Pac 12 with your hand getting stronger as UCLA and U$C look to leave...it's a good play.
  • CA Forever
    *fingers crossed* Take Skattebo with you. Take Skattebo with you. Take Skattebo with you *fingers crossed*
  • DrMike
    bringing anyone from Sac or just about anywhere is gonna be a big hurdle that they have to figure out
  • BlueGoldAg
    Stanford has high academic standards for their athletes. I would assume that some of the Sac athletes would not meet those standards and that may limit who he can take with him. Also, the pool of athletes he will be able to recruit from will be smaller due to the stricter academic standards that Stanford has compared to Sac.
  • NCagalum
    The Ags actually contained Scattebo fairly well (under 100 yards I think). Problem was just scoring a few more points.
  • 72Aggie

"No word on whether he will see the playoff run through or not if [Sac wins] tonight.”

The FCS playoff schedule makes it hard to stick around. Semi-finals on December 16th and 17th, but finals not until January 7th. The new school is probably not going to want to wait that long for the coach to make the move.

And even if players cannot follow a coach to a new school, they may consider the transfer portal to a different school. Hint, hint....
  • agalum

“ Stanford has high academic standards for their athletes. I would assume that some of the Sac athletes would not meet those standards and that may limit who he can take with him. Also, the pool of athletes he will be able to recruit from will be smaller due to the stricter academic standards that Stanford has compared to Sac.”

I’ve been singing that song all day long. I’m sure Taylor is going to do a tremendous job, but recruiting kids with athleticism and strong academics is going to be new territory for him. I’m looking forward to seeing Stanford’s progress. And their first game next fall, drum roll, Sacramento.
  • agalum
    Emily Van Buskirk
    @Emilnem
    ·
    8h
    Select Stanford donors received an email later last night informing them a new head football has been found and inviting them to a press conference live stream early next week.
  • 69aggie
    I would be shocked if Stanford hired Taylor. I just dont think Stanford has the balls to do this. Which is what they should do.
  • 72Aggie
    Who do you think Stanford is likely to hire if not Taylor?
  • 69aggie
    I have no idea. I am not that competent on this subject. I just know Stanford is a very stuffy place. I would throw out there Jeff monken at army. But I really have no idea. Hope Taylor gets it.
  • 72Aggie
    I won't miss him being at Sac. Always hoped he'd go to Cal, but the timing didn't work out.

Now how much of his staff goes with him (or what kind of budget does he have to get them to Silicon Valley?) Folsom High School did not lose a step when he left. Richardson or Fresques could probably keep the program going at a pretty high level.

The Sac athletic department has done a pretty good job with the last few head coaching hires...football, both basketball teams....

And players: I don't know how many of them could pass muster with the admissions people at Stanford, but for those who can't, two words: "transfer portal."
  • cmt
    It sounds like he's out of the running but hiring Jason Garrett over Troy Taylor would be such an incredibly stupid move. First and foremost Garrett is not a good football coach. No way he should have ever lasted as long as he did in Dallas. Secondly, Garrett has never coached at the college level whether as a head coach or assistant.

Even removing my Davis bias in hoping Taylor leaves, it seems like he would be a really good hire for Stanford if it happens.
  • zythe
    I’m so glad our coach is Hawkins. I don’t ever worry about him ditching us.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!