• movielover
    I believe Stanford has some nice on campus housing for some coaching staff.

I wonder if he'll keep Coach Gould? I saw a picture of him with a cane, I hope he is doing well.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    As a Cal fan, I'm not happy that he's probably going to Stanford, but I think he could be persuaded to join Cal if and when they finally dump Wilcox. He might struggle getting athletes who qualify for Stanford. Cal would be tough for him too but maybe a little less so as a public school.

As a Davis grad, this would be great. It would stop much of Sac's momentum and some of the dumb jocks who just want to win might transfer out.

From Troy Taylor's perspective: He doesn't have to move his family (or can get a property closer if he really wants). He knows Northern CA and he is the head coach in the conference he grew up in. I only saw him leaving for Cal, Stanford, SEC (but they wouldn't hire an FCS coach with no playoff wins prior to this year) or maybe if USCLA combo opened up.
  • agalum

“ I wonder if he'll keep Coach Gould? I saw a picture of him with a cane, I hope he is doing well.”
    Maybe Sac will pick him up, lol.
  • 72Aggie
    reply="cmt;48539"] Beyond the nuts and bolts of coaching the game, college coaches have to get on the road and recruit. Has Garrett ever done that? And as we have noted, recruiting for Stanford has its own issues.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's official, Troy Taylor will be the new Stanford Head Coach according to the Sac Bee:

Sacramento State football coach Troy Taylor has accepted an offer to become the next head coach at Stanford. Taylor told The Sacramento Bee he is taking the job after three seasons with the Hornets. He was planning to inform his Sac State players Saturday morning before meeting with Cardinal players and personnel on the Stanford campus.
    Stanford plans to hold a news conference on campus Monday morning to introduce Taylor. Sacramento State’s season ended Friday night in a wild 66-63 loss to Incarnate Word of San Antonio in the highest-scoring FCS playoff game in history.

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article269828347.html#storylink=cpy
  • BlueGoldAg
    WHAT’S NEXT FOR SAC STATE?

Who might take over for Taylor? Taylor brought longtime friend and Folsom co-coach Kris Richardson with him to Sacramento State to serve as assistant head coach and offensive line coach. Taylor is big on “football family” and that includes longtime friend Bobby Fresques, the Hornets’ quarterback coach and one-time Folsom assistant.

Sacramento State’s staff also includes highly regarded defensive coordinator Andy Thompson, who wants to be a head coach. Other possible names to replace Taylor could include former Hornets linemen and assistant coaches Jon Osterhout, who has coached American River College to success, and Angus McClure, a longtime college assistant who was just hired at Nevada for a third tour after a recent stint as Cal’s line coach.

Orr told The Bee on Friday night that he expected Taylor to receive interest because, “he’s a great coach. He’s been incredible here.”

Taylor said Sacramento State will continue to flourish, saying, “We’ve established something special here.”

Read more at: https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article269828347.html#storylink=cpy
  • agalum
    Read through a bunch of posts on the card board. There’s a lot of skepticism on this hire. Many of the posters question whether TT can survive the “constraints” placed on him. They claim he didn’t adapt well to the Utah gig where he was apparently stymied. I’m not sure if these “constraints” are related to recruiting or administrative expectations. From my seat, i would look at his success when he was a HC, not an assistant. I’m anxious to see what he can do on the farm.
  • movielover
    Most likely has to move if he wants to see his kids and wife every day and succeed at his job.
  • 69aggie
    Stanford provides housing for all of its football coaches. Shaw was given a 7000 sf compound in Rio Del Mar as part of his compensation. Taylor will be well provided for in that regard. With respect to how this effects Sacramento's football program I think we have to wait awhile before it sinks in for the players and the present coaches. They for now are conflicted about losing yesterday and also being proud and sad of losing their excellent coach in Taylor to Stanford. I predict a change of hearts over time to possibly get a bit more critical of Taylor because a lot of recruiting is based upon the expressed or implied promise that the coach recruiting the player will actually be their coach and not, as Taylor just did, quit and move on to very much better pastures. It first begins with the parents who sat at the kitchen table with Taylor and heard his pitch to recruit their kid. Then he decides to leave. Is this a breach of trust you may say? Mom certainly may think so. Moms matter. Stay tuned as this story is still being written. . . .
  • movielover
    Welcome to college athletics.
  • agalum
    https://stanforddaily.com/2022/12/11/the-troy-taylor-era-is-here-whats-next-for-stanford-football/

“ The first order of business will be assembling a staff that is adept at both player development and recruiting. Taylor could potentially bring some of his Sacramento State assistants with him, but a complete reset of the Cardinal’s coaching staff is necessary since things have gone past stale as of late. It will be interesting to see who he taps to come along to Palo Alto with him.

Of equal importance for Taylor is getting to the Early National Signing Day on Dec. 21 with the 2023 recruiting class intact, and perhaps a few additions. Since Shaw resigned, Stanford has lost its two highest rated commits in edge Hunter Clegg and tight end Walker Lyons. Both are LDS recruits who will be taking two-year missions and will not enroll at a college until 2025. Clegg has since committed to Utah, while Lyons remains uncommitted and has said he is still considering the Cardinal. Lyons attends Folsom High School in the Sacramento area, where Taylor was the co-head coach during two separate stints, from 2002-2004 and from 2012-2015. Hopefully Coach Taylor can use that connection to reel Lyons back into the fold.”

“ In general, it is tough for Stanford to bring transfers into the program due to the school’s admissions standards, however, Taylor should definitely make a serious attempt as there are now holes on the roster at quarterback, offensive line, linebacker and in the secondary. Junior quarterback Tanner McKee declared for the NFL Draft this past week, leaving the unproven trio of freshman Ashton Daniels, sophomore Ari Patu and incoming freshman Myles Jackson to compete for the starting job in his wake. There are a large number of quarterbacks currently in the portal, and the Cardinal would be well-served to bring one of them in.”
  • cmt
    With respect to how this effects Sacramento's football program I think we have to wait awhile before it sinks in for the players and the present coaches.69aggie

In the short term they're almost certain to take a big step back. Could they keep it up for a few years like Stanford did when they went from Harbaugh to Shaw? Of course. But those were also the old transfer rules. Shaw was also the OC the previous four years which certainly helped. Shaw also got to have Andrew Luck for his first year whereas I think someone said Sac is losing both QBs. Sac is certainly going to lose some recruits too.

Like with every coaching hire, that's what its going to come down to. If they nail the next hire like they did with Taylor, they'll be fine for a few years. If not, well, back to irrelevance. But regardless of who they hire, it seems very, very likely they'll take a big step back next year.
  • agalum
    https://www.sacbee.com/sports/article269888852.html?taid=639749756d0116000184180f&utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter

“ Now, with Taylor leaving to coach the Stanford Cardinal, Richardson, Thompson and Fresques all want to take his place as the next head coach at Sacramento State. Each has spoken to Sacramento State athletic director Mark Orr in the days following the team’s crushing three-point loss to Incarnate Word of Texas in an FCS quarterfinal, halting the Hornets’ season after a program-best 12-1 showing. All three will meet individually with Sacramento State president Robert S. Nelsen on Monday morning while Stanford holds a news conference to formally introduce Taylor as its new coach. Here’s the bonus twist: These three coaches, in separate conversations with The Sacramento Bee, all expressed a desire to remain together if one of them lands the job. Sacramento State will likely name a new coach much sooner than later, perhaps no later than midweek, to avoid recruiting uncertainty and instability for a program that figures to be ranked in the top five going into the 2023 season. It’s still unknown whether any additional candidates will be interviewed for the job.”
  • movielover
    Hard to imagine all 3 will turn down a chance to coach at Stanford with Coach Taylor.

Also tough to imagine the Hornets as a top 5 pick when they lose their two top QBs who took 98% of the snaps, and their HC. Not sure how many others they lose.
  • agalum

I would expect they’re still going to be better than pre-Taylor. Their defense was rock solid. If they retain their D coach (Thompson?) that will go a long way in shoring up other shortcomings.
  • agalum
    https://twitter.com/KCRAdapper/status/1602396184747778048?s=20&t=r2nRp9NVwl6NuQpB0OaBiQ

Tweet
    See new Tweets
    Conversation

Michelle Dapper

@KCRAdapper
    Sources tell me former Sheldon grad
    @CoachAdamsColts
    will leave the Colts as the OL coach to join Troy Taylor at Stanford with the same position
    @StanfordFball

@kcranews

@SheldonHS_FB
  • agalum
    https://twitter.com/stanfballupdate/status/1602384159501996032?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1602384159501996032%7Ctwgr%5E%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=

Stanford Football Updates
    @stanfballupdate
    Defensive Coordinator Lance Anderson will NOT be returning as the Defensive Coordinator of Stanford. The amount of NFL recruits Lance developed during his time at Stanford is simply incredible. We are very grateful for his time at Stanford, and very excited for the future.
  • CA Forever
    Sac promotes their DC to HC

• 69aggie
    Let’s see if this has any effect on the portal deflections. Pretty conservative hire by sac, but probably designed to keep players.
  • agalum

No real surprise. I suspect their D is going to be strong again if they don’t lose too many impact players. We’ll see who he gets as his OC. On a side note, i saw on the cardboard that TT is not hiring an OC and will be calling all O plays himself.
  • CA Forever
    Looks like they promoted QB coach to OC and Richardson is staying on as well. Keeping most of the staff together is good for them but we'll have to see if the whole thing works without Taylor.
  • NCagalum
    TT called most of not all of the plays. I think he was a detail guy and will be hard to replace.
  • agalum
    Slac RB coach Osborne and WR coach Agnew headed to the farm.
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!