• Toke69
    The Aggie men return to friendlier confines next week as they host the Anteaters. The opponent is no easier, however, as UC Irvine figures to be as tough as any school in the Big West. It's worth noting, however that after a sizzling 6-1 non-conference start, which included an impressive 69-56 victory over Oregon in Eugene, they have now lost 4 of their last 5. Three of those losses came against very good programs. On Saturday, they visited CSU Bakersfield and almost blew a 12 point lead before pulling out the W, 79-75. The Anteaters scoring is paced by their two guards, D. J. Davis and Dawson Baker, both averaging over 13 points a game and both familiar to Aggie fans. The center is 7' 0" Bent Leuchten. UCI coach Russell Turner, however, goes deep into his bench with 11 players averaging double digit minutes. UC Davis will be the underdogs again, but it would be a huge win for us if we can pull an upset.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think this is a huge game for us if we are going to make a legitimate statement that we can be one of the contenders for the BW title. On numerous occasions, I've heard Coach Les say that we need to win and home and steal a few on the road to be a contender. We've lost a few games now which could have gone either way. We need a good win over a good team right now and this would be a great opportunity for us to get back on track.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Well, unfortunately, I'm going to have to watch this one on ESPN+. I finally tested negative for Covid after 12 days of feeling like crap but I still not back to my normal self by any means. This bug kicked my butt and sapped my energy big time but I feel like I've turned the corner today. My wife and I will be there in spirit though. Go Ags!
  • Toke69
    Glad you can join me on ESPN+, BlueGold, but gladder that you're beating the virus. I'm surprised that UCI is only a 2 point favorite. Having looked at most Big West teams, I'm noticing that they all seem to have a 7-footer. I think that's kind of new and makes the conference truly BIG West.
  • Toke69
    Aggies down by 5 attributable largely to turnovers. They've been very careless with their passing.
  • agalum
    It seemed like the TOs and FT misses were hurting us but while the stats seem to favor Irvine we’re not far off.
  • agalum
    BTW I thought Borra did not look confident with his dribbling. Maybe still some lingering issues with the wrist.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Ooof...I'm late to game...thought in started at 7. I think I still have Covid brain fog!
  • Toke69
    Anigwe has been victimized by some questionable foul calls.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Heck of a rally in the final 2 minutes by the Aggies. There's no quit whatsoever in this team but we had no answer to Irvine's big man, Leuchten. As Toke stated earlier, a lot of BW teams have a 7 footer and we're not going to match up well with those teams that have great size.

We're 1-5 in the last 6 games. We really need to get on a winning streak if we're going to have any chance to be relevant in the conference late in the season.
  • Toke69
    Ags cut a 16 point lead to a 5 point final deficit, which speaks well of their effort. Between the first half turnovers, a lack of scoring depth (52 points between Pepper and Johnson) and the dominance of Irvine's big man, there is no much to say about why we lost this one. The fact that we're 0-2 so far is not horrible considering the opposition.
  • Toke69
    Only three of us posted anything on this game. I hope the Aggie faithful aren't giving up!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I would have been number 4 but I’m on vacation so missed the game.
  • agalum
    That 7’ #15 really hurt us. We were trying to keep him out of the paint and the dude was knocking down his FGs. They had a couple other guys that were 6’11”. We just don’t have the size to effectively challenge that. Talking about size, Borra got some minutes but I just don’t think he is at his best yet. I still think this team is going to erupt. Bakersfield hopefully will be a confidence builder.
  • DrMike
    #5; on vacation also and tried to follow via live stats
  • DrMike
    I’m glad the comment about our scorers not passing was deleted - that isn’t the most constructive criticism. Especially when Pepper had 7 assists ( and 5 rebounds).
  • BlueGoldAg
    Post-game comments from Coach Les and Coach Turner:

From Les:
    “I didn’t like our performance at all,” said a disappointed Aggie head coach Jim Les afterward.
    “We didn’t play physical or aggressive and a team like Irvine preys on that. We gave up 88 points, which is not how we like to play. We have some issues we need to correct with our consistency.”

“If we can correct some things, I think this team has a chance to be pretty good,” noted Les, pointing out that the expanded Big West schedule stretches to 20 games this winter. “The good part about the Big West is that you can get your butt kicked one night and then you have 48 hours to go at it again.”

From Turner:

“That was a great win against a team we have tremendous respect for,” said Irvine head coach Russell Turner.

“I’m always nervous until the game’s over, but we’ve had two tough road wins now, so I’m very pleased. UC Davis has a spirit that I genuinely admire and that comes from their coaches and spreads to their players. They always fight and they’re never out of it.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-uc-davis-men-2/
  • BlueGoldAg
    The official attendance last night was only 749. Wow...that's a shocking low number for a game against one of the best teams in the Big West. It's got to be a bit of a let down for the team to be playing in a nearly empty building at home. I sure hope we put a few more fans in the seats against Bake tomorrow
  • Toke69
    Agreeing with Agalum about Borra's dribbling, but his lack of confidence seems to be more general, plus, he should not be putting the ball on the floor when he gets it near the paint. When I saw him enter the game in Hawai`i, he looked pretty lost, as if his time away from the game has set him back. Too bad he couldn't get back before conference play began. He needed the minutes.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!