• Toke69
    The Ags return to Credit Union Center to play the Titans, who are playing very well recently with impressive wins over UCR and Hawai`i, the former on the road.They have the Big West's fourth leading scorer in Latrell Wrightsell, Jr., who averages 16.3 ppg. Their weak point would seem to be rebounding as they are 10th in the conference averaging only 34.6 rpg. Unlike most other Big West schools, they lack height with their tallest payers topping out at 6-8. This should be a win, but not an easy one. The game will be on ESPN+, but I'm likely to be watching the 49ers first round playoff game against Seattle. Sorry fellow Aggie fans, but I'll try to watch it on a delayed basis.
  • agalum

Wife and i were just talking about the niners game. We’re going to record it and try and not catch the score and watch it after the aggie game.
  • Toke69
    I might do something like try to record both and watch half of one, then half of the other. It makes more sense to delay the Niners game, but it starts earlier. Trouble for me is that I like to contribute to the discussions on this board and I can only do that live.
  • DrMike
    Niners will win big; no need to watch. Follow on live stats and enjoy the Aggies live!

There is a general animosity between us and the Titans. Love to see us beat them
  • DrMike
    Between the 49ers and wet weather it might be another sparse crowd. Too bad.
  • Toke69
    I remember the first time my room-mate and I tried to go to an Aggie home game on a double date. It was a rainy and cold January night, but we were determined to go. We got there just before tip off. We had no idea that the gym would be packed and we couldn't get in. Of course, the old Men's gym was a lot smaller, but so was the enrollment. Too bad the students today (all 35,000) aren't as zealous.
  • Toke69
    49ers already up 10-0. Looks like you we're right! Time for Aggie basketball!
  • Toke69
    The two teams seem pretty evenly matched. DeBruhl looking good. Pepper getting a lot of old-fashioned 3-point plays. Seems like his 3-pt. shot has not been on for quite awhile now, 0-2 so far today.
  • DrMike
    They’re pounding inside every possession. Their zone is hurting us
  • agalum
    Crunch time. Go Ags
  • Toke69
    I stopped watching when I saw the half time score for the 49ers and I caught up to the live action with 30 seconds left. Now 6 seconds and I could do without this tension. It's admirable how well the Aggies have hung on. One more set of free throws.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I watched the game on delay. Good win for the Ags. Seemed like a pretty good crowd
  • DrMike
    Good win. Angiwe came up HUGE down the stretch with 2 offensive boards that led to 5 points (and a 4 point lead in the last 30 seconds). Pepper hit FTs that put it away. Johnson seemed out of sorts in the first half-seemed to be jawing with their bench before his T (earned him a seat for much of the first half), but he was solid in the second half.

Beasley got screwed with a couple questionable calls that led to fouling out - Leo thankfully was solid filling in. Maybe one of his best performances.

One game soon, we’ll get Pepper, Beasley, Johnson, Milling and Anigwe ALL on their A game and that will be a sight to see!

Good crowd (1300) on a wet , 49er Saturday. Keep it going Monday v the Tritons
  • DrMike
    do we have a sideline reporter now? Noticed a young lady on the baseline who had a camera on her se real times
  • BlueGoldAg
    My wife and I finally made it to our first game of the New Year after coming down with Covid over the holidays. Great win for the Aggies in really tough, evenly matched basketball game.

Fullerton and the Aggies are similar teams in many ways. Neither has great size, both get contributions from a lot of players and both teams play hard, physical defense so it was no surprise that this game went down to the wire. The Ags got nice contributions from everyone who took the floor. This was a solid, unselfish team win for the Aggies.

Anigwe and Rocak both had two fouls very early in the game and I thought that would be big trouble for us but Les really managed it masterfully by swapping those two in and out every 3 or 4 minutes and neither picked up their 3rd until the second half.

DeBruhul is really giving us some good minutes each game now. Pepper's 3's weren't dropping but then you look up and he's 29 points and his FT's iced the game. Johnson's 3 point play and Anigwe's put back were huge in the finally 2 minutes and Ade's boards were big as well.

This team thrives off their defense and it's really a fun to watch them communicating, switching, helping out on the weak side and just being so doggedly determined. You have to be in really good physical condition to play that hard on defense throughout the game and still have some legs left for offense at crunch time. We're going to be in a lot of games like this and it will be our defense that keeps us close.

The official attendance was 1247. Not great but certainly the biggest crowd of the season and there was good energy in the house too. That number should go up if we keep putting up some W's.
  • Toke69
    Yes, ESPN had a woman doing some sideline reporting. I didn't catch her name or recall what she said.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Riverside just upset UCSB 65-64 for their first win in the last 25 games they've played at Santa Barbara.

It was a heck of a game with Riverside playing very deliberately while shooting over 70% for most of the second half and built an 11 point lead with 3 minutes to go before the Gauchos went on a 13-2 run in the last 3 minutes to take the game down to the wire.

Other scores:

Irvine 71 CSUN 57
    Bakersfield 56 San Diego 52
    Long Beach at Hawaii is just now getting underway.
  • DrMike
    here she is:

https://www.kylenmills.com/

I’m guessing she is part of our broadcasting team with Marsh and Williams. Scott posted a picture of the 3 of them on Facebook
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawaii 30 LB 27 at the half.

LB had travel problems and didn't check into their hotel until 4 a.m, I would imagine they are a weary team.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Hawaii 79 Long Beach State 70 - Final

Hawaii pulls it out in the last 2 minutes in a wild, physical game and, of course, with the typical rowdy Hawaii crowd making their feelings known very loudly.

LB is extremely long and athletic and they play fast and push the ball hard up the court on nearly every possession. The had 50 points in the paint but their defense was undisciplined. The next game between these two teams in LB is going to be a war. They don't seem to like each other very much.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I saw her on the sideline at the previous game but got to listen to her last night. She’s good and added some info that Marsh and Williams didn’t have. Hope she is at all home league games as I think she adds to the production value. Also noticed more replays during timeouts or stoppages. Seemed like they are making an effort to up the product.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Quotes from the Enterprise:

Aggie head coach Jim Les credited his team’s physical presence on offense down the stretch as the difference in the second half.

“I think we were aggressive on the offensive boards and getting second chances,” Les said.

“Getting those second possessions was critical. It was an exciting Big West game where we made a lot of winning plays, and those plays came from a lot of different places. I love the resolve of this team.”

Taylor, the Fullerton coach, played two seasons with the Aggies and was a teammate of current UCD assistant coach Kevin Nosek.

He was disappointed in the loss, but gracious in defeat.

“When you’re on the road, the margin for error is very small,” Taylor said.

“That was Big West basketball out there, with both teams fighting and scraping. We turned it over too many times and their offensive rebounds gave them too many second chances.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-pepper-sprinkles-free-throws-for-aggies-victory/
  • Toke69
    So Long Beach gives Hawai`i a battle despite not getting in to Honolulu until the wee hours of the morning. UCR upsets UCSB, but they in turn got knocked off by Fullerton who lost to us. UCI remains undefeated, but their only hallmark victory was in Davis. It's beginning to look like the Big West is going to be real dog fight among the top 6 or 7 teams and you know what they say about winning a dog fight: It's not the size of the dog in the fight but the size of the fight in the dog.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The following is part of a post by zer21 over on the Big West Boards Men's BB Forum and I think it's an accurate evaluation of the the Hawaii fans in general:

We might have the saltiest fan base in the Big West, theyre going to complain about every call cause thats what they do. I doubt it will ever change.

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/bigwest/1-14-games-t26996-s20.html
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!