• 72Aggie
    South Dakota State football head coach John Stiegelmeier retires
    Michael McCleary
    Sioux Falls Argus Leader

After a 26-year career leading South Dakota State through the start of the Division I era and, most recently, to the top of FCS football, SDSU football head coach John Stiegelmeier's work is done.

After leading South Dakota State to its first national championship in 26 years and first-ever Division I football national championship, Stiegelmeier is retiring. Stiegelmeier, who turns 66 next month, made the announcement of his retirement in a press release distributed by SDSU Athleteics less than two weeks removed from the Jackrabbits' 45-21 win over North Dakota State on Jan. 8 in Frisco, Tex. to claim the title.

Longtime assistant coach and current defensive coordinator Jimmy Rogers will succeed Stiegelmeier as South Dakota State's head coach, SDSU Director of Athletics Justin Sell announced in a press release Thursday. There will be a press conference 10 a.m. Friday to introduce Rogers as the Jackrabbits' next head coach.

"(Wife) Laurie and I, with our family, want to thank South Dakota State University and SDSU Athletics for being blessed to serve as the head football coach," Stiegelmeier said in a release. "During our 26 years in this role, a lifetime of memories have occurred. The support of so many, including three university presidents, numerous assistant coaches, countless student-athletes, two athletic directors and the Jackrabbit fan base has been so special. Thank you to each and every one who have believed in us."

Stiegelmeier, a Selby native and South Dakota State graduate, has been the team’s head coach since 1997, when they were in the Division II North Central Conference. He guided them through the transition to Division I, and eventually turned them into a I-AA/FCS power. This year’s 14-1 campaign marked their 10th straight playoff appearance and third Missouri Valley Football Conference title.

He was named the MVFC coach of the year, AFCA national coach of the year and Eddie Robinson award winner as FCS coach of the year for leading SDSU to the championship.

Stiegelmeier, who did not play college football, has been at SDSU since 1988, when he was the defensive backs coach. He was promoted to defensive coordinator under Mike Daly in 1991, and took over after Daly stepped down in ’97. He started his career at SDSU as a student assistant in 1979.

Stiegelmeier retires with a career record of 199-112. The Jacks have had only two losing seasons since moving to Division I in 2004 – when they went 5-6 in 2010 and 2011.

https://www.argusleader.com/story/sports/college/south-dakota-state-university/2023/01/19/south-dakota-state-football-head-coach-john-stiegelmeier-retires/69823797007/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Good for him...going out at the pinnacle of his career.
  • NCagalum
    Tom Brady should have done the same thing. Stig’s got more class though. Good for him.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!