• Toke69
    The Ags stay in SoCal with another important and winnable road game. The series with The Beach dates back to 1960. Back in the old days, the team then known as the 49ers dominated 20-2 until fairly recently. Of course, for most of those games The Beach was Div.1. Since 2014, the Ags hold an 8-3 edge, despite Long Beach having swept us last season. Last year, they finished the conference 12-3. This year, they are mediocre (strangely because the preseason poll had them at 3rd), lingering in the middle of the Big West. They have now won three in a row, however, with Thursday’s night’s win over Cal Poly. Head Coach Dan Monson might not be having a good year, but no team can take any team of his for granted at the Pyramid.

Aggie fans might remember Joel Murray who scored 16.7 ppg last year and dropped 19 at Davis in a 70-63 Beach victory. This year, the senior guard leads his team in both scoring (15.7 ppg.) and assists (3.8apg.). They are kind of the polar opposite of CSU Bakersfield, as they are the worst defensive team in the conference (allowing 74.5 ppg.) while scoring 77.1 ppg. Trailing only UCI in the Big West. Also returning for the Beach is big man Lassina Traore, who leads the league in rebounding at 9.9 rpg.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This will be a very tough game for the Aggies. LB is starting to play much better basketball. They are very long and athletic and they will be tough on the boards especially on the offensive boards. They have a lot of overall speed and they like to get out and run and drive the ball to the basket. We'll need to try and slow them down and cut off the lanes to the basket on defense.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Current Big West Standings:

1. UC Santa Barbara 8-1 17-3
    2. UC Riverside 7-2 14-7
    3 .UC Irvine 6-2 13-7
    4. Hawai'i 6-3 15-6
    4. UC Davis 6-3 13-8
    6. Long Beach State 5-4 11-10
    7. Cal State Fullerton 5-5 11-11
    8. UC San Diego 3-6 8-13
    9. CSU Bakersfield 2-7 6-14
    10. Cal Poly 1-8 7-14
    11. CSUN 1-9 4-17
  • SoCalAggie
    Any key injuries we should know about for LB? In Vegas and might want to bet our Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Robbie Beasley injured his knee in the first 5 minutes of the Bakersfield game and did not return to action so his playing status is unknown for us at this point.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other Big West games today:

San Diego at Riverside 1 pm
    CSUN at Irvine 6 pm
    Fullerton at Poly 7 pm
    Bakersfield at Hawaii 9 pm
  • DrMike
    I think he really need Robby. He’s a steadying force out there - rarely turns it over and keeps the ball moving.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Vegas currently has us as 3.5 point underdogs. The over-under is 154.5 so they're betting on a fairly high scoring game with Long Beach favored to win by a 56.7% confidence and the Aggies having a 51% confidence of covering the spread.
  • Toke69
    Just learned from the start of the broadcast that Joel Murray is injured and out, to be replaced by Tone Hunter. I think that's a key.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are without Beasley and Anigwe. Beasley is in street clothes and Anigwe is not even on the bench.
  • Toke69
    So the game at Bakersfield was really a Pyrrhic victory.
  • SoCalAggie
    Dam didn’t know anigwe was out. Honestly wouldn’t have bet had I’d known that…
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anigwe tweaked his ankle late in the Bakersfield game but returned near the end. Actually, I just saw that he's dressed but not playing yet.
  • SoCalAggie
    I saw the starting line up and said uh oh…
  • SoCalAggie
    He’s on the bench in uniform btw
  • BlueGoldAg
    I just saw that too.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We're hanging in there but we not getting back on defense to stop the breakaways and fast breaks from LB. LB does this a lot and I'm sure the the Aggies know it but aren't covering it. We can't go to sleep like that on defense. LB will run us ragged every chance they get.
  • Toke69
    The Beach is really exploiting Christian's absence at both ends of the court. They're shooting 57.9% on a lot of dunks. Even though a lot of those are on fast breaks, I suspect that if Anigwe were out there, their percentage would be a bit lower.
  • Toke69
    I don't like these officials; they've missed a lot of calls both ways and called a lot of phantom fouls. In one instance, a Beach player passed the ball off an Ag's foot and the ref called it a kicked ball. Coach Les was arguing that it isn't a kicked ball if it is the result of an errant pass and I think he was right.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Pretty amazing that we are down only 1 point at 38-37 at the half without Beasley or Anigwe playing. Pepper and Johnson have 33 of our 37 points and they won't be able to carry the offense entirely by themselves. Defensively, we have to eliminate the unforced TO's and slow down their fast breaks.
  • DrMike
    Any word on Anigwe? I know he tweeted his ankle but continued playing Thursday
  • BlueGoldAg
    He's dressed but hasn't played. I don't expect to see him today.
  • DrMike
    Need Milling to heat up. That wide open 3 would have been nice
  • Toke69
    Ags playing a lot of zone. I wonder if that has anything to do with Anigwe's absence?
  • DrMike
    I think with 2 starters out, we have to be worried about fouls
  • DrMike
    68-68 at 4:00. Need someone beside Eli or TY to score. They look a bit tired. Les will have to really manage time outs and the clock to milk this one out
  • BlueGoldAg
    Down 72-68 with 2 minutes to go.
  • BlueGoldAg
    ....and now Pepper goes out with an injury....
  • BlueGoldAg
    Pepper comes back...down 3 with 57 seconds to go....
  • DrMike
    Back in on offense. Offense disappeared the past 5 minutes. Fortunately their offense wasn’t much better. Down 3 under a minute
  • BlueGoldAg
    Down 1 with 57 seconds to go...LB ball....need a stop!
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!