• BlueGoldAg
    Defensive breakdown leads to a LB layup...down 3 with 7 seconds left.
  • DrMike
    That’s a tough one. Breakdown on defense under the hoop and then no call on the 3. Would appreciated a replay on that!
  • Toke69
    This one hurts because of the many "what ifs." What if Pepper hadn't gotten hurt. What if Anigwe had played. What if Beasley had played. What if the refs called as foul on Johnson at the very end. UC Davis falls to 6th for now with that loss. Credit to the Beach, though, who had their own "what ifs," but out-rebounded us 40-31 and had more assists, 15-13.
  • True Blue Aggie
    Foul on that last shot by TY. Tough loss to choke down. Ags fought hard. On to the next. GO AGS!!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I backed it up and watched it a couple of times. I didn't see the foul from the camera angle we had but the instant, vehement reaction from Les, Nosek and Johnson tells me that there was contact and it didn't get called.

Tremendous effort by the team to go down to the wire without Beasley and Anigwe. We needed some offensive help from someone off the bench and we didn't get though. 32 from Johnson and 28 from Pepper. I think we would have won this game by 10 if we weren't missing 2 starters.

I expected that they would dominate us in the paint but we really got hurt by their fast break points also and too many of those were when we didn't get back in time. I would like to see Manu get some more playing time also. It seems like Les likes Losé as a defender more and gives him lots of minutes but I think Manu gives a little more offensive punch and he's looked pretty good to me when he has been able to play.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We got a total of 6 points from our bench...ouch...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Riverside 72 San Diego 65 - Final
  • agalum
    Had to catch this one on the radio driving down 99 near Fresno. Evenly fought game point wise. What happened to Pepper towards the end, was he hurt?
  • BlueGoldAg
    He limped off the floor with under 2 minutes but came back for the final half minute or so.
  • DrMike
    Lose, I believe, was the one that got lost on that last possession giving them the easy bucket. But we were scrambling there.

I feel a bit dumb after your ‘backed it up and rewatched’. OF COURSE!!! Don’t need replay from them with a streaming broadcast! I think I need Dr Rick from those Progressive commercials to pay me a visit.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Beasley has a groin injury and Anigwe has a leg injury according to the Davis Enterprise article about the game.

Post-game comments from Coach Les:

“It was a great underdog effort,” said Aggie head coach Jim Les.

“Our effort and intensity were there and our guys played their tails off with an unbelievable effort. Our play was just superb and I couldn’t be more proud of this group. You know how I hate to lose, so I don’t say that lightly.”

“We had to change things up at the last minute, but our guys really responded,” Les added.

In the absence of Anigwe and Beasley, 83 percent of UCD’s points came from Pepper and Johnson, who entered the game averaging 20 and 16 points a game, respectively.

Johnson tied his season and career high with 32 points, while Pepper had 28 for the second straight game. The two combined for eight 3-pointers to keep the Aggies in the game. No other Aggie had more than four points.

Pepper added four rebounds, four assists and four steals in what has become a routine effort for the Aggie junior.

“Those two were awesome,” Les noted. “We leaned on them more than we would have liked to, but again, it was a tremendous effort and we just came up a little bit short.”

https://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/basketball-final-shot-gives-ucd-men-loss-to-long-beach-state/
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other BW Final Scores tonight:

Hawaii 72 Bakersfield 69
    Riverside 72 San Diego 65
    Irvine 81 CSUN 56
    Fullerton 65 Poly 36
  • DrMike
    Les’ comments were spot on. Kids did play their tails off. Really disappointed for them that they couldn’t get a man improbable win for their efforts.

Good to see Borba contribute with more confidence out there. Went strong to the hoop several times of good feeds. That could be a help down the stretch
12Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!