• Toke69
    We have to think that winning the last two games is partly in hope of moving up and partly in hope of not falling out of the 6 seed. It won't be easy, especially against the Gauchos. UCSB has gone 2-3 after beating the Ags in Davis, but their last two games have resulted in victories and they will be fighting to retain slim hopes of gaining the first seed. In any tie with UCI or UCR, they lose the tiebreaker, so they have to hope to win both games and wait and see who comes out on top of a UCI-UCR showdown this week. A loss to Santa Barbara would likely put UCD into 7th place making a win over The Beach a necessity to regain 6th. I just hope the Aggies are at nearly full strength by March 2.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Current Big West Standings:

1. UC Santa Barbara 13-5 22-7
    1. UC Irvine 13-5 20-10
    1. UC Riverside 13-5 20-10
    4. Hawai'i 12-6 21-9
    5. Cal State Fullerton 12-6 18-12
    6. UC Davis 10-7 17-12
    7. Long Beach State 10-8 16-14
    8. CSU Bakersfield 6-12 10-19
    9. UC San Diego 5-13 10-20
    10. CSUN 4-15 7-23
    11. Cal Poly 1-17 7-23
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other Big West games on Thursday:

Irvine at Riverside 7 pm
    Hawaii at CSUN 7 pm
    Bakersfield at Long Beach 7 pm
    Poly at San Diego 7 pm (Cancelled due to Covid protocol by San Diego)
  • DrMike
    Looking ahead….if we beat the Beach, we’re 6 no matter what happens Thursday. And if Bako can’t help us, we’d be 7 if we lose to the beach. Correct?
  • Toke69
    Yes, that's how I figure it.
  • DrMike
    According to article on website, the week’s game are last home game for Anigwe and Lampley.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Cal Poly game at San Diego has been cancelled due to Covid protocols within the San Diego program.
  • DrMike
    i saw us as a 1/2 point favorite; that, of course, will be greatly influenced by who is healthy and ready to play. crowd size will also play a part -> i saw they players where out yesterday trying to drum up interest in 'International Night'. tee-shirts for the first 1000 fans. everybody likes free stuff.

wouldn't be surprised to see Angiwe out until the must-win (if you want the 6 seed) vs Long Beach.
  • Toke69
    ESPN has UCSB as a consensus 2.5 point favorite.
  • agalum
    Two big games coming up. It would be great to have most of our starters back, especially with our bench looking strong, such as DeBruhl and Borra. I’m wondering if the free Ts are a Pepper theme? I saw an email that hinted about “get your Pepper on” or something like that.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Pepper is currently averaging 22.0 ppg which is 9th in the nation.
  • DrMike
    I thought it was celebrating international night theme
  • agalum

Yep, that’s what it is
  • BlueGoldAg
    Anigwe, Beasley and Lose are dressed. Hopefully, they’re good to go.
  • Toke69
    Great start 16-6!
  • MTBAggie
    Tied up at 22.
  • DrMike
    37-36 us at the half. Good crowd
  • Toke69
    Ajay Mitchell has no points? UCSB has no offensive rebounds. If we had been able to make some of the bunnies we missed it would be 43-36.
  • quadshock
    Whoa it's been a while... This is a high scoring game!
  • Toke69
    That's a heartbreaking loss. The Aggies played well enough to win, but if they can play that well against the Beach, they should get the 6th seed. Good to have Beasley and Lose back. Borra and Adebayo played very well. We needed just a little but more more Ty and a little bit less of bad calls by the refs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Other Big West final scores today:

Long Beach 77 Bakersfield 61
    Irvine 75 Riverside 65
    Hawaii 81 CSUN 55
    Poly at San Diego - Cancelled
  • DrMike
    We got up 12 and quickly let them back in with turnovers. We still had a chance at the end. I thought we got screwed on the foul call in the backcourt with about 20 seconds left down 2; the guy slipped, ref from across the court and behind the play called a push. That hurt.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Yep, we lost our focus and blew the double digit lead and SB took advantage of it very quickly. We've had a problem holding onto leads this year.

Terrible foul call when the SB player slipped down on his own. Same ref called the foul on Beasley in the final minute when the replay showed Beasley poked the ball away cleanly. Both teams were deadly at the line: SB was 28-32 and the Ags were 23-26. That 3 ball by Eli was halfway down before it popped out too.
  • DrMike
    2110 in attendance. Loud crowd. Need that Saturday
  • DrMike
    it felt like the ref anticipated us fouling and blew the whistle despite another ref right on the play. That guy had 2 or 3 others that were bad (Adabeyo block and Beasley strip come to mind). But, losing focus with the 12 point lead was the key.
  • agalum
    Super exciting game and heartbreaking loss. Ok, here’s my Monday morning quarterbacking. Borra, while not getting many points, was huge defensively blocking shots and controlling #2 and 5. I was surprised coach didnt put him in during the last 5 minutes. He might have had an impact on #13 who just killed us driving to the glass.
  • DrMike
    what was challanging for us at the end was the Gauchos had 5 guys on the court who had scored at least 12 points during the game and at least 4 of them were threats to take it to the hole. they continually set up in a 5-out (all players outside the key) and drove one-on-one when they had the matchup they liked, like Mitchell on Milling.

i was listening to Les on the post-game; he was really lamenting letting that 12-point lead slip away so fast and so easy in front of a home crowd. offense was rushed which led to 2 or 3 travel calls. went from 12 to 2 in a blink of an eye. that hurt.

nice seeing Beasley out there (hit two big 3's). let Pepper sit for more than a minute like he had been. Not much of Leo in the 2nd half, and he's been solid -> maybe Les felt he didn't match up defensively with their athletic wings.

was an exciting atmosphere. Darius had the crowd going (even had a time-out wave going!). The other kid who does the Aggie pack was there and he was leading in-game chants. just would have been nice to cap the night with a win.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It was a really good basketball game. Highly competitive game with the score going back and forth and probably our best crowd of the season.

Les was constantly matching Pasternak's lineup moves. Every time Pasternk went small so did Les. Really nice to see Ade pump faking and hitting those point blank shots and also slamming one down too.

I thought the most amazing shot of the game was Pepper's twisting layup while falling down and getting fouled hard at the same time. Even though he put the ball up with his right hand on the left side of the basket, it had so much English on it that it went in. Incredible shot!
  • Toke69
    A key play by the Gaucho's coach was that in-bounds play at the end where Norris took the lob and the pass in just made it within 5 seconds. They must have practiced that play enough to know that the Aggies would first try to defend Norris inside but he faked going out and then drove in just in time to get the ball and slam it home. That was with 25 seconds left in the game and we had to foul. Credit UCSB for not only making that play but for hitting their free throws, 4 of 4.

It was great to see Adebayo being aggressive on offense. I wish he would at least show his jump shot so teams could not ignore him on the perimeter, though. Also important to note that Lose and Beasley went 3 of 3 from 3.
  • DrMike
    was that okay off the held ball with 2 on the shot clock? That was a killer
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!