• DrMike
    Has anyone seen any news about recruits for next year? Seems like we have at least one open scholarship (Anigwe). I know the portal pushes things out, but it seems very quiet out there.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I haven't been able to find anything, Mike. Verbalcommits.com shows no current activity nor does 247 Sports. VC is showing that we have two current offers out:

Bowen Hammer 6'6 SF from Snow Canyon HS in St George, Utah. He also has offers from Southern Utah and Metro State.

Takai Hardy 6'7/200 PF from Sunrise Christian Academy in Fairfield, CA. He also has offers from Northern Arizona, Sac State, Cleveland State, Cal Poly, Montana, Montana State, Northern Illinois, Washington State, San Jose State and Chico State.

We are also the only team in the Big West that has not had a player enter the portal so far. VC is showing that there are currently 1175 players in the portal.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’m guessing that we are holding that one open a scholarship for someone off the portal that can help us win next year. We’ve got two guys, Mani and Strong, who could be big contributors coming off their redshirt year. Seems like another big guy would help.
  • AggieFinn2

Bowen Hammer: with that name he sounds like a better fit for track and field, or maybe archery.

Metro State sounds like a fictional college in a superhero movie. I hope it's better than Hudson University, the fake university in Law and Order SVU-somebody's getting assaulted there every week. I can't believe those fake families continue to send their fake kids there.

The only way the Aggies lose Hardy to Chico State is if they let him go. This is unless Hardy has always wanted to live in Chico due to its proximity to Orland, CA.
  • DrMike
    Metro State is where Caleb McGill transferred.

Your Hudson U takes reminds me of my dad’s take on Cabot Cove (Murder she wrote) : ‘beautiful place but someone gets killed there every week’

He also told me he was hoping a serial killer moved in next door when that house was for sale : ‘when they catch the guy on TV , the neighbors always say that ‘he was very friendly and a quiet guy’. Yep, perfect neighbor
  • Toke69
    You're very funny!
  • AggieFinn2
    Poor Jessica Fletcher couldn't even go on vacation without running into murders
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Looks like the Ags have lost their first player to the portal. Verbal Commits has listed DeAndre Henry as transferred. Nothing on his twitter page about that, so it's always possible it's a glitch. Assuming it's true, that will give us 2 schloraships for next year. Certainly need another inside presence.
  • DrMike
    not too surprised. He played significant minutes in one non conference game and I thought he showed some potential. Maybe a sign that we’re planning to hit the portal for a big guy
  • True Blue Aggie
    Hmmmm . . .

https://twitter.com/Elijah_pepper12/status/1643675673813487616?s=20

Pepper is going to declare for the draft but retain eligibility
  • DrMike
    interesting. I can’t see him being drafted by the NBA, but he might be gone regardless
  • Toke69
    Good news: He's not going into the transfer portal. With only two rounds in the NBA draft, I doubt he'll get drafted, but for his sake, I do wish him success.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Yeah this is an interesting decision. Elijah is a smart kid and I’m sure he’s getting good advice. We’ve been spoiled getting to watch him play.
  • SoCalAggie
    Top 5 in PPG. Can’t hurt to take a stab having that in the back pocket. That stat will be hard to repeat if he gets doubled and triple teamed with the lack of support on our roster.

Thinking about it like that. This is likely his “best shot” at the NBA right?
  • BlueGoldAg
    That stat will be hard to repeat if he gets doubled and triple teamed with the lack of support on our roster.SoCalAggie

Getting double and triple teamed could actually help him if he is able to still be relatively successful against really tough defenses. Even if his ppg went down, I think the NBA scouts would take that into consideration because it would show he can still contribute despite teams doing everything they can to stop him.
  • DrMike
    I’m disappointed I (probably won’t get to watch him in an Aggie uniform again and that he didn’t get a senior day send off (had to be one of the most popular Ag of the D1 era), but he out in his four seasons and played his guts out. A transfer would have been disappointing but he’s following his dream, so best of luck. Thanks for the great memories!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Doesn't he still have one year of eligibility here if he doesn't get drafted?
  • DrMike
    yes, but it’s the COVID bonus year
  • BlueGoldAg
    That works for me if we get to see him play for one more season.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Verbal Commits is now showing that 1382 D1 players have currently entered the portal. I know that Les did well bringing in some very good talent from the portal last year. However, I feel like the mid-major programs like us have now become the "minor leagues" for the big, wealthy programs and they are going to lure many of the best mid-major players away from the smaller programs with promises of NIL money and playing on a bigger stage.
  • Russ Bowlus
    What percentage of those are using their bonus year of eligibility?
  • eastbayaggie

I was thinking that way too, and I think it's sort of a consensus that the mid-majors are sort of the minor leagues. However, all of these upsets in March Madness makes me wonder if the transfer portal may have the opposite effect. I don't think so, but I like to see more future data points to see a trend.
  • Toke69
    I found this website showing all (?) players who have entered the transfer portal, the school they're leaving and the school they're going to (if known yet). I could find no one from UC Davis, either coming or going yet, but Cal is losing most of its starters (and from a 3-29 team that might not be a bad thing). https://theresourcenexus.com/transfer-portal-basketball/
  • DrMike
    there’s a guy on the Big West board that charts it. We’ve lost DeAndre Henry. Bottom 4 teams were hit hard as was Irvine. UCI will bring in good players, doubt the bottom teams will be as successful
  • movielover
    The new Sac coach brought in all those new players and only added 3 wins this year.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The number of players who have entered the transfer portal is now up to 1513.

https://verbalcommits.com/transfers/2023/D1
  • BlueGoldAg
    Santa Barbara has landed a highly rated 5 star recruit: Yohan Traore 6'10 225 Fr PF from France. Traore transferred from Auburn.

• movielover
    Wow. "In his lone season at Auburn, Traore averaged 2.1 points and 1.4 rebounds per game,..."

Soft hands, "stretch 5".
  • Toke69
    I wonder if he's any relation to the Traore brothers at Long Beach State?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Love this pickup...versatile wing that can guard many positions and is super athletic. I'll look around for some video.

Highlights from his Juco year...I assume he'll have two years left. Looks like Sac offered him last month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lIgl2n8Guyg
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!