• abridge
    Wow - some week. I'm totally bummed. I'd welcome Cal and Stanford into the Big West although I think they'd clean up and take the March Madness bid. They could do football as independents or work a deal like the Aggies have - maybe in the Mountain West?

The money in football is destroying sports - totally corrupting the process. I may never watch FBS games again.
  • BaseballAtDobbins

I agree. As a west coast fan, I love unique leagues like the Pac 10 was and how the Big West/WCC are still. It's reasons like this that I don't mind the Ags in the Big Sky for football and the BW in others. When the WAC collapsed I was in the Big Sky camp.

Mods, can we move this post to the OT board for more visibility since this is a baseball specific section.
  • AggieFinn2
    I think Stanford and the other 3 really don't have much choice with football, probably Mountain West for them.

However, if I take a UC Davis-centric look at this I think there needs to be a massive reallignment. I would break up the Big West, West Coast, WAC, Pac-12 in favor of a more geographically-favorable set-up.

First of all the PAC-whatever conference would no longer sponsor football due to too few teams.

I don't think it's any secret that the Big West has at least 1 too many teams and the members would like to not have to travel to Davis/Hawaii. The WAC conference is also too large and it consists mostly of Texas schools and a bunch of misfits, especially for baseball. Seems like it's half Texas and half orphanage. The Mountain West seems like it has too few members.

Breaking up all the conferences (or at least chipping away the non-Texas schools away in the case of the WAC) is a lot easier in theory than grouping them together again. Where I would like to see a purely geographical grouping I realize making conferences that way seriously limits their ability to market and recruit, so I won't bother imagining who would be in each conference. However there are some schools that just need to be together and aren't like UCD and Sac State and UCD and CAL.

I will say that I would like to see UCD play teams I care about more often. Too many games against UC Armpit and Cal State Nowhere. In my opinion it's a travesty that so many contests against Sac State are played mid-week.
  • CA Forever
    I saw some folks online just calling for a California conference. The implosion of the Pac 12 could have a huge impact on the future of west coast football.

California
    Cal Poly
    Fresno State
    Sacramento State
    San Diego State
    San Jose State
    Stanford
    UC Davis
  • 72Aggie
    Heard one where the new Pac-? conference would consist of Cal, Stanford, San Jose State, San Diego State, Fresno State, Nevada, UC Davis, Sacramento State, St. Mary's (after reinstating football), and Santa Clara, (also after reinstating football.) In football the conference champion would play the 15th place team from the Big TwENty in the Nacho Cheese Bowl at some HS field in Texas.

The predictions for Cal, Stanford, Oregon State and Washington State are bleak. What would a Pac-X conference do for a TV contract without USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington? What happens to those schools if they end up in the Mountain West with a smaller TV contract? What happens to the other/Olympic/non-reveunue sports at Cal and Stanford with smaller TV revenues, and larger travel budgets.

There have beenn grumblings about Hawai'i leaving the Big West. How does this affect them?

How about the teams currently in the Big Ten west who have enough trouble competing againts Michigan, An Ohio State and Penn State. Now they get hit from the other side with USC, UCLA, Oregon and Washington?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!