• BlueGoldAg
    We won't know until tomorrow if the Aggies get selected but, I hate to say it, I think the Ags will be one of the first 4 bubble teams left out. Our only "good win" in the eyes of the selection committee is today's win over Sac but we have several "bad losses" and, after what we saw last year from the committee, they don't have much respect for the Aggies. I sincerely hope I'm wrong.

The FCS Selection will air at 9:30 am PT on ESPNU.

This is from Sam Becton of NCAA.com:

Sacramento State

Sacramento State doesn't have a ranked win at 7-4. However, the Hornets do have an FBS win to offset the hole in their resume. All of Sacramento State's losses are good losses — even its season-ending loss to UC Davis.

Speaking of which, an FBS win and quality losses separate the Hornets from UC Davis even after Week 12's game. Those factors will ultimately get Sacramento State one of the last spots.

UC Davis

UC Davis put itself in the playoff conversation with a win over Sacramento State to close the season, but it won't be enough. Losses to Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona still look bad compared to other bubble teams.

See the above portion on why Sacramento State made it in the playoffs for more on why UC Davis is out.

Sam Herder at Hero Sports: He has the Aggies in as the #21 selection and Sac as the #24 selection.

https://herosports.com/fcs-football-2023-playoff-predictions-final-bzbz/

College Sports Madness:

Last Four In: Chattanooga, Sacramento State, Western Carolina, Incarnate Word

First Four Out: Mercer, UC Davis, Tennessee-Martin, Northern Iowa

See the FCS Football Projected Bracket

The bubble has shrunk considerably during the last Saturday of the regular season. Mercer and UC Davis are the only two teams that really feel like they deserve a spot in the playoffs. Each could easily find themselves on the right side of the bubble when the selection committee makes their picks. Chattanooga, again, is a team that could be left out. Sacramento State is on a big slide right now and UC Davis just beat the Hornets and have an equal 7-4 record. Incarnate Word finished 8-2, but the schedule has been easy.

https://www.collegesportsmadness.com/article/22255
  • CA Forever
    I wouldn't be surprised to see the Aggies miss out. 1 more win and we're comfortably in.
  • 72Aggie
    I doubt "the committee" will care, but the Stanford victory isn't all it's cracked up to be. Stanford is 3-8 overall, 2-7 in the Pac-12 and lost to Cal today, 27-15.
  • DavisAggie
    I see no rationale for Sac St getting a high rank with the committee: H2H, common opponents, ranked wins, conference performance, etc all favor Davis
  • Russ Bowlus
    Lot easier to stay in the field when you were ranked to begin the weekend.
  • Riveraggie

Common Opponents
    Texas A&M Commerce.
    Northern Arizona
    Idaho State
    Montana
    Cal Poly

Sac 4 wins and 1 loss Davis 3 wins and 2 losses.
  • DavisAggie
    And with 3 of those 5 opponents, Davis had better results. Then add H2H. Nicholls is their only .500+ win
  • Zander
    2022 Committee: “No you’re putting way too much focus on SOS and quality losses, the most important thing is to get to 7 wins with at least a good win in there”

2023 Ags: “OK”

2023 Committee: “No not like that”
  • DavisAggie
    Davis at North Dakota, winner at Montana
    Sac at N.D. St, winner at Montana St
  • DavisAggie
    Becton didn't see the result of the Montana-Sac St game
  • DavisAggie
    You're forgetting the Weber win
  • DaddyAggie
    Yea this is gonna be a tough one. We will have to see how the committee evaluates H2H vs strength of schedule and that Sac win over Stanford which kind of messes everything up.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It's just too close for comfort. I think I'll just brace myself for disappointment but keep my fingers crossed.
  • cmt
    Yeah, losing to a 5-6 and a 4-7 team seems like it will be held against us a bit. Like if you just swapped those to losses to be against Montana St and Idaho, I'm guessing we'd be in easy. Like last year if we were 7-4, swapping out the SDSU loss for a win against a 4-7 team, we would have been in the playoffs. This year we have the extra win but the resume isn't quite as strong.
  • movielover
    And Stanford only has 3 wins - all against sub-.500 teams.
  • CA Forever
    Most to all predictions I have seen have us as either a last 4 in or first 4 out. It's going to be really close.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Montana AD is on the selection committee. You know he must of had a great amount of influence on screwing us last year but I wondering if he might be working for us this year since he's representing the Big Sky. Our loss to Montana was close and the stats for both team were even. If it wasn't for the TO's, we might have won that game. I hope he takes that into consideration too and tries his best to sway the committee in our favor.
  • BlueGoldAg
    This is what the FCS fans over on the AGS forum think the field will look like according to their final Top 25 poll which has the Ags at #25 and Sac at #16:

Re: AGS Poll Results 2023 Wk12 - SELECTION SUNDAY!
    The fully seeded AGS playoff field would look like this:

16 Sac State/17 Youngstown State @ 1 South Dakota State
    9 Furman/24 Duquesne @ 8 North Dakota State

13 Southern Illinois/20 Richmond @ 4 Idaho
    12 North Dakota/21 Gardner-Webb @ 5 Villanova

14 Mercer/19 Lafayette @ 3 South Dakota
    11 Delaware/22 Nicholls @ 6 Albany

15 Chattanooga/18 North Carolina Central @ 2 Montana
    10 Austin Peay/ 23 Drake @ Montana State

First 4 out: Incarnate Word, UT Martin, Western Carolina, UC Davis

https://www.anygivensaturday.com/showthread.php?345567-AGS-Poll-Results-2023-Wk12-SELECTION-SUNDAY!
  • MTBAggie
    From NCAA.com

UC Davis put itself in the playoff conversation with a win over Sacramento State to close the season, but it won't be enough. Losses to Eastern Washington and Northern Arizona still look bad compared to other bubble teams.
  • cmt
    If we get left out this year I’ll be annoyed but much less so than last year. At least there’s a logical case for Sac over us. Last year it was “uh, Idaho and Montana won an extra game (ignoring H2H and SOS) and Montana will bring in more money”.
  • CA Forever
    Well that's certainly not encouraging. I suppose we'll find out in a couple of minutes here.
  • CA Forever
    Montana 2nd seed
    Idaho 4th seed
  • CA Forever
    Montana State 6th seed
  • movielover
    Is there a livestream link?
  • cmt
    SDSt
    Montana
    South Dakota
    Idaho
    Albany
    Montana St
    Furman
    Villanova

That’s the top 8. Weird not seeing NDSt in there.
  • CA Forever
    It's a podcast, but at least has a stream of the show for those without ESPNU
  • cmt
    They’re really dragging this thing out by showing highlights of games from yesterday.
  • 72Aggie
    Gotta sell ad spots
  • movielover
    I have the ESPN App and can't find the feed...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!