• 69aggie
    River I get your point. But the man is a cardiovascular disaster waiting to happen at 370, 340 whatever. I am very disappointed with our conditioning coach who let him get so heavy. We can do better.
  • movielover
    He's a grown young man... there are also cultural issues at play. Not an expert, but I figure he also has to be quicker at 340. Could he be more effective at 330 or 320?
  • Riveraggie
    You could say the same about Princeton Toki.
    You remember when even the pros were not 300lbs?
    Art Shell who was a big lineman and supposedly weighed 265, Gene Upshaw 255.
    Why has the game evolved to heavier weights?
  • movielover
    The new religion of heavy weight lifting, off season weight lifting, personal trainers, camps, parents with disposable income, a big influx of Pacific Islanders, and steroids / steroid lite products.
  • 69aggie
    Bob st Clair. Probably the best lineman the Niners ever had was 6’ 9” and 263.:played from 1953 to 1963. Died in 2015 at age 84 Santa Rosa ca. I was fortunate enough to attend a dinner with him the year he died. Even in his older years he was very gracious, fit and intelligent person.
  • MTBAggie
    I believe he was the biggest guy in the NFL at the time. He was one of my dad's best friends anf it was a sad day when he passed. Bob sure had a lot of crazy stories to tell!
  • 69aggie
    I think your dad was at that Bonino dinner when Bob was there.we probably sat at the same table. I believe your dad is Tom L. Is that correct? If so I love your dad and mom. Great people. The last I heard is that there was a medical malpractice lawsuit brought against the hospital that treated him. I don’t know how that resolved.
  • MTBAggie
    Yep, that's my dad. He was with Bob when he passed. I don't know all of the details, but my dad felt Bob was shuffled around and not taking care of.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Wonderful comment on X from LB's Coach Jackson about Teddye Buchanan. He was certainly one of the best LBers ever to wear an Aggie uniform. I hope he does well at Cal next year.

y8yi13w3eg3uzh82.png
  • MTBAggie
    We're watching the Patriots game, and there is a rookie who went to my son's HS, Serra in San Mateo. Antonio Mafi played at UCLA and was 411 pounds his freshman year, 40% body fat with a size 50 waist. He's now down to 329. (All info from wikipedia.)
  • movielover
    FWIW, Castles gained 20 pounds to compete for Tennessee in the SEC. So why didn't he gain 20 pounds here, were we emphasizing his speed?
  • Riveraggie
    Don’t put too much stock in the roster weights. I notice they rarely update them, and there is often comments by coaches or other indications that suggest the player has a different weight. If Castles says he gained 20 lbs. thats a different story.
  • movielover
    Yup, that's what 'Cali' said.
  • CA Forever
    OL Nico Sarale entering the portal as a grad transfer. Good luck, Nico!

• Riveraggie

The COVID extra year has had the unexpected result of making upper class transfers more viable.. Without that extra year I think most players stay put. Sarale is the recruiting class of 2018 which means he’s been here six years already, and he thinks he might have two years eligibility left.
  • DavisAggie
    Gevani McCoy to Oregon State. Idaho also loses RB Anthony Woods
  • DavisAggie
    Montana State loses 4 OL's, including 2 starters
  • DavisAggie
    Zach Kennedy still available
  • 69aggie
    Isn’t there a time limit to stay in the transfer portal? I believe it was 45 days the last I looked. I don’t know when he entered so not sure of his status.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    What happens after 45 days???
    Where did Larrison end up?
  • Fiat Lux
    I believe the 45 days is how long the portal window is open. A player has 45 days to enter after the Championship selection. If a player is in the portal when it closes they are still able to talk to schools and sign but no new players can enter until the next window opens May 1st and lasts until May 15th. This is supposed to be after spring ball so coaches can solidify rosters for summer workouts and fall camp. Then I believe there is a another window in August when the new academic year starts.
  • DavisAggie
    He never entered the portal
  • FlynnB
    I believe the 45 days is how long the portal window is open. A player has 45 days to enter after the Championship selection. If a player is in the portal when it closes they are still able to talk to schools and sign but no new players can enter until the next window opens May 1st and lasts until May 15th. This is supposed to be after spring ball so coaches can solidify rosters for summer workouts and fall camp. Then I believe there is a another window in August when the new academic year starts.Fiat Lux
    Why is the window so big? 45 days is a huge amount of time. It's a long time for a player to wait.

Hey, everyone.
  • Fiat Lux
    I think it gives staff time to meet to identify positions of weakness, and build a plan for what they want to go after in the portal or via HS recruiting. Then they also will do year end meetings with each player to talk about how the season went and what the outlook is for them. The coach may tell them that they are looking in the portal for other players at their position and they may end up in a position battle or buried on the depth chart. If a team then takes someone from the portal and a player ends up 4 or 5 on the depth chart they still have a time to decide if they want to get in the portal.

My guess is that guys who hop in the portal early are either studs that are unhappy with their current situation/had a coach leave etc or a guy who is not getting the playing time they want and know from the get go they want something different. Then the guys that enter later may have had a new transfer come in that pushed them further down the depth chart or had a coach leave later in the cycle.

I think all in all, 45 days after a hectic season is totally fair to get some time away, let coaching decisions and changes play out and still give student athletes time to make a well informed decision. I would think that's why the spring window is only 15 days. By the end of spring ball you should have the information you need to decide to get in the portal or not and it doesn't need to take a month and a half.
  • FlynnB
    Thanks, I got it. Yes, 45 days is a good term, indeed.
  • CA Forever
    Here's a couple day old tweet of training groups. Zach Kennedy is in the first group. Also notable that incoming QB Damon Wrighster is in fact already on campus and training with the team.

• Riveraggie
    Former players are invited. The board lists players that apparently have no remaining eligibility. Like Amone, Verner and Povey. If they come back somehow that would be great.
    What happened to Noa Matsui? he seems to have been injured for 2 years.
1234Next
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!