• AggieFinn
    It's official.

12/1/23 - Former UC Davis QB Tim Plough will head the Aggies starting with the 2024 campaign.

Here's the 12 game 2024 schedule Plough and his Staff will have to prepare for - it is very back loaded:

Sat., Aug. 31 at Cal - California Memorial Stadium - Berkeley, CA, TBD
    Sat., Sept. 7 vs. Texas A&M-Commerce - UC Davis Health Stadium, Davis, CA, TBD
    Sat., Sept. 14 at Southern Utah - Eccles Coliseum - Cedar City, UT, TBD
    Sat., Sept. 21 vs. Utah Tech - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA, TBD
    Sat., Sept. 28 vs. Idaho - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA, TBD
    Sat., Oct. 5 at Portland State - Hillsboro Stadium - Hillsboro, OR, TBD
    Sat., Oct. 12 vs. Cal Poly - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA, TBD
    Sat., Oct. 19 at Eastern Washington - Roos Field - Cheney, WA, TBD
    Sat., Oct. 26 - OPEN DATE
    Sat., Nov. 2 vs. Northern Colorado - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA, TBD
    Sat., Nov. 9 at Montana - Washington-Grizzly Stadium - Missoula, MT, TBD
    Sat., Nov. 16 vs. Montana State - UC Davis Health Stadium - Davis, CA, TBD
    Sat., Nov. 23 at Sacramento State - Hornet Stadium - Sacramento, CA, TBD
  • agalum
    I'm optimistic. Go Ags!
  • CA Forever
    Hope Coach Plough is ready to hit the ground running! No time to waste! GO AGS!
  • zythe
    I am very optimistic
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'm happy with Plough coming back to Davis. I know some may think this was just too quick and that we didn't cast a wide enough net but Tim is a great offensive mind, he knows Davis inside and out and I'm sure he had 100% backing from Hawk, Cody and Biggs.

Welcome back to Davis Head Coach Tim Plough! Now let's get to work and continue to build this legendary program to new heights! Go Ags!
  • CA Forever
    Maybe Plough will bring back some of that no huddle that's been absent for several years at this point
  • AggieFinn

Gotta have the horses to make it run.
  • movielover
    Find Joy coach! Go Ags!
  • 69aggie
    Won’t be sleeping until I see the Portal news Monday. Fingers crossed that LL and TT stay put and help out with the Plough transition. Not to say at all that they’ve got to stay just that they are very much admired and actually loved here in Aggie land. Know that they are talking about their options now.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Man, I hate to say it but with Buchanan and Chubba already getting high end offers, I'll be surprised if Larison and Rex Connors stay. It's just the way things seem be in college football anymore...
  • movielover
    I'd figure LL would either be a return year, or a shot at the NFL. Why risk getting buried on an FBS roster?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think Larison would see a lot of playing time for a lot of major programs. He's that good.
  • movielover
    Look at the Sac State RB, Skattebo, had modest success at Arizona State. I'm not saying that's LL, but it does provide a comparison.
  • Riveraggie
    Rex is not a player who has been here already for four years like the guys who are known to be leaving. They most likely have earned a degree, and only thing they want from their new school is football. Rex academically is likely going to be a senior next year. People who transfer in their senior year have constraints and priorities that someone who has already graduated doesn’t have. So far we haven’t lost anyone in last two years who didn’t leave here with a degree, There is always a first for everything though.
  • BlueGoldAg
    There's always the lure of the bigger stage with huge crowds and significant NIL money now. The whole college football landscape has changed and making money is the dominant driving force for many big programs and for many players alike.
  • NewGuy
    Bring the smoke Coach Plough! Welcome HOME!
  • CA Forever
    It'll be interesting to see how much of the coaching staff will be retained vs Plough bringing in some of his own guys. I figure there won't be much turnover initially especially with Hawk sticking around in some capacity.
  • Riveraggie
    i hope they keep Mike Cody as offensive line coach. The O line performed pretty well, and they had an innovative and effective run game. Plough will likely take over as offensive coordinator and QB coach. Cody has also done a good job of recruiting.
  • agalum
    “ Hawkins hired Plough before the 2017 season to inject new offensive life into an Aggies program that had suffered five consecutive losing seasons after decades of success. Plough was the Aggies assistant head coach and offensive coordinator in 2019 and 2020, unleashing a wide-open offense designed to stretch and buckle defenses. It became known by players and coaches as “Shredville.”

https://news.yahoo.com/uc-davis-hires-cal-assistant-231633554.html?fr=sycsrp_catchall

This is what we’ve been missing. I’m looking forward to see what we have talent wise next year and how Coach Plough uses that talent. I guess i had forgot that the term “shedville” had its origins with Plough. And was it Plough that was responsible for the high tempo no huddle schemes that were successful for us?
  • CA Forever
    I believe it was Plough behind the high tempo no huddle offense we had when Jake Maier was slinging the ball. It wouldn't surprise me if Plough hits the portal and JUCO ranks to shape the team in his vision because I'm not sure we currently have the players to run his offense. We've become a grind it out running team and that's not at all how I remember Plough.
  • Riveraggie
    In 2019, Ploughs last at Davis, with Maier, the team averaged 28.67 points and 433 yards of offense.
    In 2022 under Cody Hawkins, with Hastings, the team averaged 35.91 points and 486.5 yards of offense,
  • NewGuy
    What's your point? The 2018 team, under Plough, had better numbers than both 2019 and 2022 teams.
  • movielover
    2019 was a brutal schedule.

At Cal
    At #1 ND State
    #17 Montana (disappointing)
    At North Dakota (2 point loss)
    #3 Weber
    #10 Montana State
  • NCagalum
    I think another reason for Rex to stay is to stay with his brother Porter.
  • Riveraggie
    . My point is that what we’ll see with Plough will be similar to what we saw without him, before this last year when the offense took a step back,
    Plough likely would have done better with the 2023 team. I think Plough is a good hire, but we aren’t going to see a offense much better than what we saw under Cody Hawkins,
  • Riveraggie

Cal
    #2 South Dakota State
    #12 Weber
    #4 Montana State
    #15 Idaho
    #2 Sac State
    Rankings as of game day
  • CA Forever
    I'm excited to see the potential changes for the offense. Plough has a couple more years of experience under his belt since he was our OC and it'll be interesting to see his evaluations of the current roster and where we might need to make some changes.

I think there's too many variables to really make a determination at this point if the offense will be more or less successful than this last season. That being said, it would be nice to break the 30 point mark in more than 4 games.
  • Toke69
    What I like about this is the way the program has not only some built in continuity, but yet another former Aggie football player who understands the culture of the campus and can "sell" it to recruits. What is kind of typical about it is to replace a defensive minded HC with an offensive minded HC. Seems like a common pattern at both the college and pro levels.
  • NewGuy
    In addition to te brutal schedule, there were several significant (unrevealed and misdiagnosed) injuries to key players on the 2019 team. There were enormous expectations heap upon that 2019 team. Unfortunately "football" happens!

As for 2024, I suspect we'll see more streach offense schemed.
  • movielover
    Before Coach Hawkins, we reportedly had a trainer who was beyond hyper vigilant.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!