• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies will try and stop a 4 game skid when hit the road for a game against Pacific in Stockton tomorrow at 2 pm. Like the Aggies, the Tigers will be trying to stop their own 4 game losing streak as well. This game will mark the 100th meeting between the Aggies and the Tigers with the Ags having won 4 out of the last 5 games.

It's the 100th meeting between the two programs, a series that dates back to the 1917-1918 season. Pacific leads the all-time series 83-16, including a 50-7 record at home. Since naming the Spanos Center their home, the Tigers have gone 16-2 against the Aggies. Pacific took the most recent match-up in 2022, downing the Aggies 74-72 in Davis.

https://pacifictigers.com/news/2023/12/15/mens-basketball-pacific-returns-home-to-host-uc-davis.aspx

The game will be carried live on ESPN+. Go Ags!
  • Toke69
    I only went to Stockton to see the Ags play Pacific once. I remember the court as being in the city for some reason. I wonder where they play now. I want to see if it's the same place I remember.
  • movielover
    The Alex Spanos Center, built in 1981, sears about 5,500.
  • Toke69
    Thanks. I was definitely never there.
  • Toke69
    If the Ags have been working on their free throw shooting, it is not apparent so far and Pepper is still in what I think is a shooting slump.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are off to what has become a common poor start and trail 12-5 at the first media TO including a missed dunk.
  • Toke69
    TY 3 for from 3! Where has that been all year. Ags take the lead in an 18 point turn-around.
  • BlueGoldAg
    31-13 run by the Aggies and they lead 36-29 with 4:36 to go in the half.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    TYs mid range jumper has been coming around and if he can start consistently hitting the three that would really open up the driving lanes for him.
  • BlueGoldAg
    43-34 Aggies at the half.
  • Toke69
    The color guy is Bob Thomason? I think he was the head coach of Pacific when they were in the Big West. He knows his basketball, but he sounds very judgmental using "should" a lot instead of simply explaining what happened.

I guess Adebayo is still out with an injury. Tamba is doing fairly well in his place after a rocky start. He has 4 boards.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Ags are doing their best to let Pacific back in the game after being up by 23 and a chance to put the game away by committing 5 TO's. Lead cut to 14.
  • BlueGoldAg
    82-61 Aggies Final
  • Toke69
    A win is a win, but I don't see this as being an about face. First, Pacific is simply not very good. Second, the Ags are still turning the ball over carelessly and missing too many free throws. Third, Pepper went 2 for 9 from 3, despite making 19 points. We need him to find the range before conference play begins. I don't think we can count on T Y making 5 3s again. He just had the hot hand and Pepper is cold. (Which reminds me of the conclusion that a pair of economists made that there is no such thing as a "hot hand" based on a correlational analysis based on a weak premise. They are wrong.)
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I totally agree with your points. I do hope that TY has discovered his outside shooting. Hopefully we see more of it at the revenge game Tuesday vs the griz
  • BlueGoldAg
    I listened to the post-game, radio interview with Coach Les and, needless to say, he was happy with the team overall especially coming out of finals weeks which he said is really stressful for everyone. He said TY had a final after practice yesterday and Rocak was still turning in lab reports too.

He said that the coaches have been emphasizing to the team that they have to play through the adversity that each game has when things aren't going their way. He liked how the team responded to the runs that Pacific would start to make and that we matched the Tiger's intensity each time they started to get some momentum. The Aggies lost their previous 4 games in a row after having a lead in the second half so it was nice to see them finally stretch the lead and maintain it until the final buzzer.

TY was 2-15 from 3 prior to today's game and he went 5-8 from 3 today. Les said that he's so good at driving to the basket and creating problems for teams that teams are starting to play off him and give him more space to try and contain his driving ability and that is giving him more space to shoot from the outside. TY was interviewed after the game and he was very humble and gave a lot of credit to his teammates for him scoring 30 points today. He also talked about how it is such a privilege to play alongside Pepper who he said is not only a great basketball player but an even better person.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I know no one on the board knows the answer but is Jac Mani ever going to play? Injured almost all of his freshman year and every game so far this year. Just some bad luck for the kid.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I wondering about when we will ever see him play as well. Bob Williams said that the coaching staff think are really high on him and we certainly need all the interior help we can get. Ade is still out also. I hope he's not out for a long time too.
  • Toke69
    I was just looking at the box score and noticed that the Ags out-rebounded Pacific 32-16. Can that be right? Milling, Lose and Tamba combined to grab 21. Looking at the Tigers roster, I note that they started 5 guards and subbed 4 more with their 6' 11" senior playing only 13 minutes. Almost like they were conceding rebounds.
  • BlueGoldAg
    32-16 is what the box score shows so that's outstanding for us. Milling had 8, Losé 7 and Tamba 6. I don't think we'll see rebounding stats like that once we start playing the conference games against the teams that not only have size but have athletic size.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!