• BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are playing their best basketball of the season and they'll be shooting for their 5th conference win when Bakersfield comes to town for a 2 pm game. The Roadrunners have had their struggles this season and are coming off a very tough loss at Santa Barbara on Thursday 66-64 in OT. The UCSB game was there for the taking but the Gauchos managed to pull off the win in the final seconds. The Roadrunners are very athletic and they'll be very hungry to pull an upset.

Live stream on ESPN+ at 2 pm. Go Ags!
  • Toke69
    This one worries me. Could be a trap game after running over previously unbeaten (in the BW) CSUN.
  • MTBAggie
    Where is this game on the radio? Women's game is on KDVS and football on Sactown Sports.
  • Toke69
    Of the Roadrunners 17 points at the 11:35 mark, all but 3 have been lay-ups or put-backs. The Aggie interior defense that was so effective so far has disappeared.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Totally agree. The Aggies won't shoot 55% like they did against CSUN and teams now know that they need to drive the ball against us and try to get us in foul trouble.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I think this game will be a grind for the Aggies..
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Aggies are asleep at the wheel on both ends of the court...behind 22-13 with 9:26 to go in the half.
  • Toke69
    Pepper has yet to score.
  • BlueGoldAg
    34-26 Aggies at the half. Nice comeback by the Aggies after being down 22-13 before going on a 21-4 run to end the half.
  • Toke69
    So far it's been a game of runs, but the Aggie defense has clearly come around in the latter part of the half to fuel a huge run. Unusually balanced scoring, too. No Aggie with more than 7 at the half. Interesting that Leo DeBruhl leads the team in rebounding.
  • BlueGoldAg
    DeBruhl plays with really hard all the time he's on the floor and he's very aggressive going to the boards. He's a tough, physical player.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Poor foul shooting is hurting the Aggies. Only 18 of 27 so far and many were the front end of 1 and 1's.
  • BlueGoldAg
    65-62 Bake with 3:24 to go in an ugly, foul filled basketball game.
  • MTBAggie
    Pepper ties it up on a long 3!
  • BlueGoldAg
    Going to OT tied at 65.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Did ESPN+ lose the feed? I can't get the game to stream after the end of regulation...
  • MTBAggie
    Sure did. Terrible!!!
  • BlueGoldAg
    What a bunch of crap...ESPN just left the game after regulation. I'm listening to the radio broadcast now. Ags up 76-71 with 13 seconds to go.
  • MTBAggie
    What radio station?
  • BlueGoldAg
    1140 am. Ags win 78-71 in OT. You can listen to the post-game interviews in a minute or so.
  • MTBAggie
    Lame, when I stream KHTK on Tunein, it's NFL football.
  • BlueGoldAg
    ...I just assumed it was KHTK...guess it was another station. I just tuned in on the Aggie website.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    So the weird thing is I lost the feed at OT just like you all. But my daughter in Chicago still had it!! So I watched her feed via FaceTime. Not great but better than nothing. Ugly win. Pepper with the big shot and Ade with some tough rebounds late
  • Russ Bowlus
    So the weird thing is I lost the feed at OT just like you all. But my daughter in Chicago still had it!! So I watched her feed via FaceTime.Oldbanduhalum

Modern technology!
  • agalum
    Wasn’t our best game but you make your bones when you can grind out a win in that situation. I was watching the end of the game near the exit, and obviously didn’t go anywhere until after OT. The Roadrunners might be the best 5-11 team on our schedule. Second game in a row that they lost in OT.
  • Toke69
    I had to miss the second half, but I got to see the free throw contest, er, game, after I got back. It was a pretty exciting last half second when Pepper made that clutch 3 to tie, so I was hoping the momentum would carry them into OT. Those of you on ESPN know what happened next. I just went to the box score to see the final results and was a little happy, but not as happy as if I'd been able to see it. Why do people in the midwest continue to get it and not in the west?! At least we got the W. The officials called this game poorly and way too close, but CSU Bakersfield is the one who might complain seeing as how UC Davis got 20 more points from the charity stripe. The Ags did what I feared and fell into the trap game mode: poor shooting, too many turnovers, and defensive lapses.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I felt like this game was going to be a tough game for the Aggies, I watched Bake lose in OT at UCSB and that was a game that they had a great chance to win but couldn't keep the a 5 point lead with under a minute to go and lost in the final seconds of OT. What I saw was a team with a lot of quickness off the dribble, that also hits the boards hard and scores in the paint. That's what we saw today as well. I figured they'd come into the game today very hungry and ready to snatch a win.

There were 49 fouls in the game: 29 on Bake and 20 on the Ags. It was really physical and it seemed like Bake's game plan was to play a lot of players and allow them to play very physical without a whole lot of regard to the number of fouls they would give up and it almost worked. At one point, the Ags were only 19-29 at the line but then they hit 11 of their next 12 and ended up going 30-41. Johnson was a perfect 14-14 and many of those FT's were at crunch time.

Pepper's NBA range 3 that tied the game with 27 seconds to go was a beautiful play. Then Johnson's defense forced a difficult shot by Bake and the Ags got the rebound to send the game into OT. Johnson and Pepper took over in OT.

It wasn't a pretty game by any means but grinding out a win like this was huge. When this team is clicking on all cylinders like they were against CSUN, they'll be tough to beat but that simply won't happen game after game. Now they know they can win when they aren't at their best also.
  • BlueGoldAg
    At least we got the W. The officials called this game poorly and way too close, but CSU Bakersfield is the one who might complain seeing as how UC Davis got 20 more points from the charity stripe.Toke69

Bake was hacking hard with the hands and arms all game long. There were a lot of hard fouls by them including a flagrant 1 where a Bake player nearly took TY's head off. It was a midwest, blue collar game type game.
  • Toke69
    Bob Dunning commented about how Rod Barnes, the CSUB coach subbed 5 for 5 and how Bob Hamilton used to do that. I think I was at the first game when Ham made that 5 for 5. The starters included 4 returning lettermen of whom two, John Frost and Al Budde, were all conference. About halfway through the first half, Al Steed, Tom Larkin, Bob Guild, Bob Johnson and Tom Wood all knelt by the scorers table and went in for the starters. We thought Ham had lost his mind, but the second five not only played well, but they extended the lead and wore the other team out (wish I could remember who is was, maybe Cal Sate Hayward?). He didn't do that a lot, but he did do it several times later that season, but I can't recall that the team had the same depth in later years, unless it was after I left Davis (in 1974).
  • Toke69
    Not disagreeing, because I also saw some Ags get fouled with no calls (Pepper and Rocak for instance), just saying that Roadrunner fans are probably complaining.
  • Zander
    Seemed like the Aggies were visibly frustrated in the second half with the physicality, reffing, and stars getting largely shut down for a bit. But that was a very good final minute of regulation + OT where Johnson and Pepper got in a groove.

Question for the board, what's the conventional wisdom on the final three seconds of regulation when the game was tied? Pepper got a rebound and made a move to drive down the court to the basket, but Johnson called a timeout with 2.6 seconds in order for Les to draw up a play, and I saw them exchanging some words after. My instinct would be that it's better to let the play run out because there's a chance the dribbler can get an open look or get fouled in transition, whereas on an inbound on the opposing court there are multiple ways to lose the ball in the final seconds. Is a chance for a timeout and the coach to call a play really that beneficial there?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!