• agalum
    The Ags beat Riverside 83-63 at Riverside in January. The Highlanders have won their last 3 games with wins over Bakersfield, Irvine, and Fullerton. They rank 21st in the country on attempts from behind the arc and 32nd in the country on offensive rebounds. This looks to be an improved version of the team that the Aggies dismantled in January. We need to win these home games down the stretch. Go Ags!
  • BlueGoldAg
    I watched them beat Irvine and they were shooting lights out from 3. The final score was much closer than the game actually was. Riverside was up by 20 late before Irvine made a run in the final couple of minutes. They'll be tough to beat if they shoot like that again. Pepper may see a box and one from every team we play from now on too.
  • DrMike
    Big game today with a tough road trip coming up. Need to be big Northridge fans today
    as they take on the Beach at home.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Pepper is now 181 points away from becoming the all-time leading scorer in Big West history. Getting to #1 is not impossible but it is unlikely. At this point we have 6 regular season games left and at least one game in the BW Tournament so he'd need to average 26 a game to surpass Lucious Harris for the #1 spot.
  • Toke69
    The way I see it, the Aggies have to win their four games, all of which they can reasonably be expected to win even though Hawai`i at Davis and CSUN on the road will be tough. Since they finish on the road at the Beach and UCSD that would give them a 14-6 record which might keep them in second place. They cannot afford to fall to 12-8.
  • movielover
    Did Pepper have 5 years to do it?
  • BlueGoldAg
    Remember that his extra year was the Covid year though.
  • Toke69
    In the covid year, Pepper played in 18 games, then the next year, only 24, so he will have had roughy 4 and half years to break the record.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Off to another poor start…cold as ice, getting ponded on the boards and no offensive flow…
  • BlueGoldAg
    32-27 Riverside at the half.
  • Toke69
    Good to see the Ags come back from a slow start, but it's mystifying how this is the third straight game where they came out flat and had to try to get back late. In this case, I hope they come all the way back. It's of concern that Pepper appears worn out and the team has yet to hit a 3. Good to see Milling score.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Santa Barbara 77 Hawai’i 71 - Final. Hawai’i is such a different team on the road.
  • Toke69
    Hawai`i did not play a single road game before Big West play and I think it is to their detriment.
  • Toke69
    Another disappointing exhibition. Everyone talks about how momentum can shift within a game, but there is such a thing as momentum across a season as well. Through their first 12 conference games, UC Davis had a lot of momentum in wining a lot of close games but also winning half their games by double digit margins. From the road trip to Hawai`i and now two home game losses, the Ags seem to have lost their momentum mojo and for no reason that I can tell. The two things that stand out are that (1) they have shot 19 of 69 from 3, a 28% rate when shooting their normal 34% (prior to those games) would have resulted in two home wins. (2) They came out flat to start both home games and the second half in Hawai`i. Of course, these two things are in themselves inexplicable. All I know is, they need to figure out how to get their mojo back.
  • DrMike
    Les was harping on defensive miscues, but we held them to 66 points and a low shooting percentage. We were a desperation 3 from a 18% shooter from having a shot to tie of go ahead. We got nothing from the bench. The rotation was different to say the least. Almost no Borra and Tomba, but 11 minutes from Sevilla. A couple secondary players really struggled, one for third game in a row (I don’t like to call out players here)

The beach looks to be rolling tonight. I’m hoping we can get a top four seed now.
  • movielover
    Wasn't Jac Mani the big Les was raving about? Didn't play again.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Les has said that Mani has the potential to be the best big man he has ever coached according to a comment made by Scott Marsh on an ESPN+ broadcast when we saw Mani enter a game for a couple of minutes earlier this year. The key word here is "potential." Unfortunately, he's been injured for the most part of the 2 years since he came here and we've only seen him take the floor in 3 games this year for a total of 14 minutes.

My guess is that he may not be physically ready yet to play extended minutes. I think he would be eligible for another medical redshirt year. Generally, college players have 6 years of eligibility to play 4 from the time they enroll when including redshirt and/or medical redshirt years.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I’m hoping we can get a top four seed now.DrMike

I'm hoping for a top 4 seed also but it's going to be very difficult. Irvine and San Diego continue to play well consistently and Riverside, Hawai'i and Bakersfield are playing much better now while we're currently headed in the wrong direction.

It appears that teams have decided that the way to beat the Aggies is to shut down Pepper as much as possible and dog him constantly from start to finish in order to make the rest of the team try and beat them. We're seeing a box and one used on him a lot now and Riverside really bothered him with it in this last game. They were sticking to him like glue, trapping him and face guarding him and they were effective in preventing him from getting into a rhythm.

The Ags average 71.1 ppg as a team. Pepper is averaging 21.1 ppg and Johnson 16.8 so they combine for 37.9 ppg which is 53.3% of our total offense. We struggle to keep the offense flowing when teams are effective in limiting either or both of them.
  • 69aggie
    Don’t be so depressed. We just beat Baylor! In equestrian. . . Well, some good news does along ways.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!