• Goags20172
    I'm a little late in posting this, but no one else did yet.

Razo was selected in the 16th round by the Seattle Mariners, while Garcia was chosen in the 15th by the Kansas City Royals.

According to MLB.com''s draft tracker Garcia has already signed, and he will receive a $125,000.00 bonus. Pretty nice payday following a season in which he only won two games. It''s also a lot for the 15th round. Garcia was a draft-eligible sophomore because he has already turned 21. Smart move on his part. He would've likely received less money as a 22-year-old junior, and he now has enough to pay for the rest of schooling should baseball not work out.

I would think Razo will sign soon as well, probably for less given his injury history and the fact hedoesn't have as much leverage as he'll be a fifth-year senior if he returns to the UCD baseball team. I don't know why he would to be honest.

The best thing for the program is if both players play professionally. The MLB draft increases the visibility of the program to supporters and potential recruits alike

These developments, along with the senior departures of Stone and Mullins, and a big question mark a t catcher,leave the pitching staff even more of a mess for 2018. If the season started today Blais (2 career wins as a starter) would be your Friday starter, with maybe Hannah (1 win as a starter- and that was a pre-determined start in which he only went 4) on Saturdays. After that, whoknows ?

From what I've seen in online searches and the baseball twitter site the Aggies have recruited a few HS pitchers:

Ryan Rodriguez- Upland HS
    Matt Mascio- Castro Valley HS
    Brock Moffitt- Valley Center HS
    Diego Fisher- San Benito HS (same as Garrett Kelly)

Acoording to Maxpreps.com Mascio and Moffitt were starting pitchers that enjoyed solid senior seasons, although it appears Mascio may have been the victim of poor run support ( losing record but very good ERA. Fisher I can't find much on as San Benito appears to not like to put their baseball info online. Rodriguez also started this year, but it appears he may be fairly new to pitching, as he only has pitching stats for this season, more playing time as an infielder. It''s likely he was recruited for a live arm- Perfect Game clocked him at 91 in their showcase sometime before his senior year. Given our recent history of hs recruits I think if all of these guys play right away they'll start their college careers in the bullpen. Mascio and Moffitt averaged just over 5 innings (HS games are 7) per start. They'll need to get some experience at this level + get stretched out to start.

As for who else could start, it''s anybody''s guess. Chris Brown has logged a lot of innings, but he has a 2-10 career record with a 6 plus ERA per ucdavisaggies.com to show for his first two seasons. Connor Loar is a capable pitcher, but he appeared in relief exclusively this year and wasn't a regular starter at the JC. Klay Worthan. was a good starter in HS but only a reliever for two years at City College. RS freshman Tim Weiser may start, but he wasn't highly recruited out of HS (according to the news article I read online it appears UC Davis was the only D1 team recruiting him) so I'm going to be positive and guess he''s an underrated diamond in the rough athlete that our coaching staff found.

Andres Lara looks like one of those types of pitchers for the Aggies, but there has to be a reason other than his height he didn't pitch more in 2017.

Pitching staff looks to be in trouble. Unless we can bring in some solid transfer recruits (at pitcher and catcher) I could see the 2018 team winning less than the 2016 team.

Remember how I stressed how 6ou don't just pitch your 7 favorite guys all the time? This is why. Three possibly 4 of those pitchers are gone. This shows a real lack of preparation by the coaching staff.
  • Goags20172
    Razo signed with Seattle. I didn'the catch the bonus amount. Both players have made impressive debuts in relief for their Arizona League teams. They will probably face each other at some point this summer.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!