• SloStang
    Cal Poly vs Colgate today on ESPNU today at 4:00 pm.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks for the heads up SloStang and Go Poly!
  • SloStang
    Thanks BlueGoldAg. I will be watching from my IPad while watching my 13 year old daughter play in a basketball tournament in So Cal.

Good luck next week against SDSU. Do your school and the Big Sky proud.
  • Bige70
    Ride high over that safety school Slostang!
  • AggieFinn
    I'm jealous, Colgate at home is a great scheduling accomplishment.
  • CA Forever
    2nd quarter and Colgate is leading 17-0... did not see that happening.
  • movielover
    Wow. Just saw that. Is Colgate that good?
  • Bige70
    Colgates QB sounds like a capo in the Gambino family. Their defense is stuffing polys option - like they see it every week or something.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Colgate has popped a couple of big runs against the Poly D and a Poly TO led to another Colgate TD. Lot of time left but Poly has their work cut out for them.

And, now, Poly just dropped a long pass that was a sure TD.
  • CA Forever
    Well CP tried to make a comeback in the 4th but fell short. Poly loses to the mighty mighty Colgate Raiders 20-14.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Colgate beats Poly 20-14. Poly didn't get rolling until late in the 3rd quarter and entered the 4th quarter down 20-0. It was all Poly after that and they nearly pulled it out but turned it over on downs deep in Colgate territory with a half minute left.

I'm not a big fan of the option offense that Poly has been so successful with over the years. I just don't like seeing them run the ball on 3rd and long with time running down. As a fan that just tries my patience way too much. To their credit they were able to convert 4 straight 4th down plays several of which were nice passes.

Note: Portland State hung tough at BYU but lost 20-6. The Vikings came into the game a 5 TD underdog. I thought they looked very good and they have a very good passing game.
  • CA Forever
    Really a quite unimpressive start to the season for Poly. They didn't seem to spread the ball around as much as I remember. Protheroe had just under 40 carries but only managed 140 yards off of that. They only gave Kyle Lewis 7 carries and their QB, Jenkins, didn't do much on the ground. Jenkins also only completed 6 passes on 17 attempts. When you rush as much as Poly does you gotta make those pass attempts count. Got to give some credit to Colgate's defense for shutting them down for 3 quarters, but it makes it a little bit easier when the triple option is actually just handing the ball to the fullback 40 times.
  • aggie6thman
    I think the triple option isn't a bad idea for schools like Cal Poly or even us. I'm not advocating that we run the triple option, but we do face limitations in who we can recruit.

The downside for Poly was they had to play from behind for almost the entire game and that made life difficult for them.
  • movielover
    Walsh claimed they gave their RB 10 carries too many, I wonder why that was? Unknown injury to their FB?
  • 69aggie
    Yes, sorry for the mustangs. #23 losing to an unranked team at home not good. I will say that if this was an aggie game on August 26 30+ days before the kids come to school no one would show up for the game. But poly had a good crowd. From what I saw poly still has way more talent than we do by far. Hope I'm wrong.
  • BlueGoldAg
    You have a good point there, 6th, Poly has certainly been successful with the triple option. I just get tired of one run up the middle after another. I think I got burned out on the the "3 yards and cloud of dust" many years ago and then got spoiled by the great Aggie passing teams of the past. Poly's triple option has a lot of wrinkles to it but I'm a bigger fan of offenses that are built around the passing game.
  • movielover
    It sounds like they played like us last year - didn't turn it on until the 4th quarter.
  • CA Forever
    Well Protheroe is a FB and got 39 carries which is a crazy workload for 1 player. They can't continue that trend or he's gonna end up injured. Their RB, Lewis, only got 7 carries for 19 yards. You're not fooling the defense when you make the triple option 1 dimensional.
  • SloStang
    Rough start to the season. SJSU also played USF tough so next week will be tougher than I originally thought and we then go on the road to by UNI. We better open up our play book on offense or we are looking at 0-3.
  • CA Forever
    It's no secret that CP is a talented squad, but yeah you guys need to open up the book to make the triple option work which you guys have done in the past. Workloading Protheroe that heavily is gonna get him hurt.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Why do you think Walsh was so conservative in his play calling especially on the final drive with time running down? He was repeatedly running up the gut and taking time off the clock and was then looking at yet another 4th down to keep the drive going.

I thought Poly's passing game looked decent when they did throw it except for the dropped passes. The dropped bomb was a sure TD and the early TO deep in Poly territory hurt too.
  • SloStang
    Third Offensive Coordinator in three years. Tuitelle is now OL coach at New Mexico and Wood is QB coach at Georgia Southern. I think the combination of a new OC and new QB led to a way too conservative game offensively. Not only did we have too many FB dives into a stacked D, we have two other capable FBs to give Protheroe a breather. Hopefully they will open up the offense. We certainly have other capable weapons and the triple option is dangerous when it is not so predictable.
  • NCagalum
    Teams were somewhat of a mirror image. Colgate controlled first half then just looked like they were going to rely on their defense. Colgates QB not very good. Good game in that is was close but sure glad ucd doesn't run those offenses. I suspect both Colgate and poly will be mid-tier and will be on the edge playoff status at season end. Portland state was respectable today and I think their a
    QB has some pothential to grow as true freshman.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Portland looked very athletic to me and they have some nice receivers too. They just might be a contender for the Big Sky.
  • Bige70
    PSU's secondary shut BYU's receivers down for a majority of that game. Very impressive.
  • NCagalum

69 aggie. I think poly is down this year and have not looked good in their first 2 games. On 37 yards passing against SJSU and were out gained on the ground by about 70 yards by the Spartans. SJSU had double the per pay average yardage. They have not shown any explosive plays in 2 games, something they used to have regularly like breaking off a 40-60 yard fullback dive.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!