• BlueGoldAg
    The idea of making the third scrimmage open only to current and prospective season ticket holders is a pretty good marketing idea, but starting the scrimmage at 5:30 p.m. in late August is ridiculous. This is generally the hottest time of the year in the Sacramento valley and 5:30 is the peak heat time of the day.

It's currently about 4 p.m. and the temperature is 104 degrees and going up. It could be 106 by the time the scrimmage starts and probably in the 120 degree range on the artificial turf. That's not good for the players and not good for Aggie fans either. Good luck luck having more than a handful die-hard fans chasing what little shade can be found..

We all know the heat problems that we have every year in the early season games and how the lack of shade makes it tough on fans and players alike. I would guess that the oppressive heat today will make this marketing event a bust in terms of attracting new season ticket holders, and it could have easily been prevented if the scrimmage had been scheduled for mid-morning.

If anyone braves the heat, please post up your thoughts on what you saw.
  • CA Forever
    Last good chance for the team to tune things up before the opener against SDSU. Even without the heat I don't think that there would be too many people going to this event. Without limiting it to STH, there were only around 100 or so people going to the first couple of scrimmages (I wasn't there, but I believe that number was in the enterprise). Hawkins is working on revitalizing the program, but it's a process. I think that there is still a general sense of apathy with a lot of the students and alumni regarding the team. Hopefully some wins can help to alleviate that.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It might be a blessing that we are opening with SDSU and not Stanford this year. The Cardinal leads Rice 38-0 at the half in a game being played in Sydney, Australia. Their offense is very impressive. Let's hope they don't get even better next year!
  • DrMike
    I was out there tonight. Not a real scrimmage, shorts and pads. 1st offense moved right down the field starting with long ball to Doss. Lot of situational work. Hard to assess without pads.

Not sure what to do about the heat. Had it been last Saturday the night would have been perfect. Morning start is tough for families or us out of towners. Biggest turnout for one of the ticket pickups that I've been to. Challenge for staff and team is to prepare but not get worn down in this week's heat
  • aggie6thman
    Some teams have/would like an indoor practice facilities so they aren't in the snow/freezing cold. We need one to get away from the surface of the sun!
  • movielover
    Why not move it to a 6.30 start? Or even 7.00? ... The Toom under the lights.

There is an audio interview with Hawk and KNBR 680, I think I caught it on audioboom. 15 minutes. Goes over Hawks career, etc. Only tidbit of note was he said something about we could insert a lot of schemes / plays bc of our kids smarts. No specific info, which I like.

I wonder if we will have the speed or athleticism to compete. I guess execution and gameplan come into play. 6 days.

Any watch parties in Davis or the Bay?
  • DrMike
    the 5:30 start was a little odd, since they were only out there for 90 minutes or so. 6:30 would have been good, but it was still pretty toasty then. plus side of a night start is the the seats and stadium club( food and drink) were in the shade. right now, you can't get shade from the scoreboard (its a skeleton) so there's no relief during the day time hours.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!