• BlueGoldAg
    Aggie Athletics just announced that, in addition to extending our football radio contract with KHTK, there will finally be a live weekly coaches show with Dan Hawkins. This is great news and something I've been hoping would happen for years. This is another great move by Kevin Blue and, hopefully, we will see coaches shows for men's and women's basketball and perhaps other sports as well.

Excerpt: "In addition to this partnership extension, UC Davis Sports Properties also announced on Wednesday the creation of a brand new weekly football coaches show, featuring Dan Hawkins, which will air exclusively on Facebook Live throughout the upcoming season."

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/083017aah.html
  • aggie6thman
    Sounds like the deal to outsource marketing is quickly paying off.

Great to finally have this!
  • movielover
    KHTK didn't do a coaches show?
  • BlueGoldAg
    No, they usually do couple of short interviews each season but not a weekly show. I hope this will be a weekly video live cast but I'm not sure about that.
  • CA Forever
    Video would be awesome, but it's a great first step that we even have the weekly show now. In the last few weeks it seems like we have taken several steps in appear more like a legitimate D1 football program
  • AggieFinn
    Well it's Sunday morning, not a peep from UC Davis Atheltics on YouTube, no videos.

There were individual big play highlights on Facebook...and a link to the feed. Which was spotty in the 1st half, got better in the 2nd half. (we were the guinea pigs for Stadium, who has just started this feature this season).

Let's get that Weekly Show going! Can't wait to hear Hawk's take.

guy-dancing-and-screaming-crash-the-door-glass_92.gif
  • aggie6thman
    Woodstock's is hosting the first coaches show. How long have we been saying it should be hosted at a local business? Glad it is FINALLY happening.
  • BlueGoldAg
    When will it be aired?
  • aggie6thman
    Wednesday at 7 pm and will be streamed live on the athletic department's Facebook page.

http://www.ucdavisaggies.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/090417aae.html
  • movielover
    We've had coaches shows before...
  • CA Forever
    I don't remember a weekly broadcasted coaches show, just occasional radio interviews and stuff. My memory ain't perfect though.
  • movielover
    DII days, campus station, not a big whoo haaa.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I won't be able to watch the first coaches show tonight at 7 pm. Anyone know if we may be able to watch it at another time?
  • CA Forever
    I'm assuming it will probably be archived somewhere. Maybe on the UCD Football Facebook page or maybe even the athletics website.
  • movielover
    OK, WHERE is the show... went to athletics Facebook page, went to the football page... ???????
  • CA Forever
    There were definitely some sound issues that they need to work out, but that was still a fun show. Hawk is always energetic and we got to hear a little bit from the captains of the team as well.
  • movielover
    I get tired of how we can't be professional.

- I went to Facebook, nothing to link to... not 'coaches show' or 'we'll start in 5 minutes'.
    - Show started 5 or 6 minutes late.
    - Poor audio.
    - I like our announcer and coach, but they are repetitive. Fans ask better questions. Why not answer fan questions right away, not the last 5 minutes.
    - Staffer got into a technical explanation why they failed. Not the time or place.

I understand it was our first episode, but why did we start late, and why weren't the mikes tested? Did we rely on KHTK?

Our audio / social media / PR continues to struggle. For the Hawkins hire announcement, we posted online a youtube video with 20 or 30 minutes of dead airtime as they awaited Hawk to arrive. I don't think they have these problems at Cal Poly or Montana. But the ICA budget is huge, and we have lots of Associate and Assistant ADs.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I can't find any archive of the show. Can anyone summarize the highlights?
  • CA Forever

- Recap of the SDSU game. Talked about things that went well (kicking game/special teams, team never gave up, Keelan Doss) and things that didn't go so well (turnovers).
    - Teams captains each answered a few questions.
    - Talked about the matchup with USD (coaches, key players, ect.)
    - Answered some questions from fans on facebook and in person.
    - Hawk talked about the future of Aggie football and did a quick little hype up for the game on Saturday.
  • DrMike
    i like that they gave the kids a chance to talk -> just highlights the quality students we have out there to root for. last week, i was talking to some staff and ex-staff about the exposure the university got from the NCAA appearance, and that was something that we all agreed upon -> aggie athletes really shine when they get on camera. well-spoken, intelligent, and have a real appreciation of being part of the campus. that came out last night during the coach's show. I liked Hawk's background story on Modise and his journey here. Kid worked at SFO from 10:00 PM to 3:00 AM to support himself, and was a good student and outstanding player. That's someone I can cheer for, on and off the field
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks for the recaps CA Forever and DrMike. I couldn't agree more about the quality of the Aggie athletes we have. Our athletics program has always been a program where our athletes have been required to get it done in the classroom just like the rest of the students and I think that makes our program special and somewhat of a rarity in major college athletics. There's truth and integrity to the title "student/athlete" at UCD and that makes me proud to be an Aggie fan.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It appears that that men's and women's basketball and even some other sports will have a coaches show:

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/coachs-show-kicks-off-with-hawkins-and-company/
  • movielover
    Hawk also spoke about practicing more on the grass to try to keep players fresh. A fan had asked about the need for a practice field at Aggie Stadium, and Hawkins commented on the hopes for new offices, facilities, practice field, etc. at the stadium.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks, movie. It's apparent that Hawk knows what it will take to the program to the tip of the FCS.
  • CA Forever
    Next episode of the coaches show starting in about an hour.

It can be viewed live on the UC Davis Athletics Facebook page. Guests this week include Keelan Doss and Nas Anesi.
  • agalum
    Ok, so i went to the fb page but dont see any links for the live show. Help!
  • CA Forever
    On the lefthand side of the screen click the tab that says videos. Should be there.
  • agalum
    Got it now, thanks!
  • movielover
    I watched a little bit. ... any new insights?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!