• CA Forever
    Eastern Washington @ Texas Tech - Texas Tech wins 56-10 (EWU didn't look like the powerhouse they usually are)

College of Idaho @ Northern Colorado - Northern Colorado wins 41-14 (UNC sticks it to Moroski and gang)

Valparaiso @ Montana - Montana wins 45-23 (Game was close until the end of the 3rd)

Portland State @ Oregon State - Oregon State wins 35-32 (PSU missed a last second 46 yard FG that would have tied the game)

Cal Poly @ San Jose State - San Jose State wins 34-13 (Cal Poly's rushing attack still doesn't look quite as lethal as usual although against an FBS team this week)

Montana Western @ Weber State - Weber State wins 76-0 (Score is story of the game here)

Southern Utah @ Oregon - Oregon wins 77-21 (Oregon drops almost 80 on SUU)

Montana State @ Washington State - Washington State wins 31-0 (MSU struggles to get anything going against a top 25 opponent)

Northern Arizona @ Arizona - Arizona wins 62-24 (Cookus put up 300 yards passing on UA, but ints didn't help)
  • BlueGoldAg
    PSU continues to be impressive. Too bad they missed that last second FG but a big mistake that hurt them the most was a bad snap with first and goal from about the one yard line early in the game. The ball sailed over the QB's head and the Vikings failed to score after going for it on 4th down. Then OSU marched down the field and scored which turned the momentum of the game.
  • CA Forever
    Yep, PSU is going to be a contender in the Big Sky this season. Eastern Washington is struggling big time against Tech. Gubrud looks just okay without his Kupp safety net and EWU's pass defense is getting shredded. TT's QB before being subbed out completed 26/30 passes for 384 and 3 TDs.
  • CA Forever
    CP @ SJSU has started
  • aggie6thman
    Poly down 34-13 in the fourth quarter.
  • AggieFinn
    Howard beats UNLV
    Liberty beats Baylor
    James Madison POUNDS East Carolina
  • aggie6thman
    Howard was a 45 point underdog. Wow.
  • CA Forever
    Apparently Protheroe went down with a knee injury in Cal Poly's game against San Jose State. That would be absolutely disastrous for them if he lost playing time.
  • movielover
    Wow. And with a 5'11" Frosh QB, Caylin Newton... dual threat. Brother of Cam.

A $100 bet would have got you $55,000!
  • AggieFinn
    Let's just the top Las Vegas #Twitter trend is #UNLVFB, the program continues to flouder.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Six Big Sky teams played FBS opponents yesterday and lost all six games by a combined point total of 299 - 117. The average final score of these games was 49.8 - 19.5 so, essentially, the FBS teams won by an average score of 50 - 20...not even close to being competitive.

I get that it's a great experience for the players to play in such a big environment and that we take home a big paycheck. But, is it really worth getting trounced on national tv and risking injuries when players are so physically over matched?

The size and speed difference between teams like SDSU and us is ridiculous and I found myself just hoping we'd escape without getting too beat up. I don't think these games are very exciting for the FBS fans either. SDSU fans were sitting quietly looking bored to death at times and some were actually yawning in the third quarter.

But, then again, Portland State has held its own against 2 consecutive FBS teams and has taken home a bundle of money in doing so. So the jury is still out for me regarding the value of playing these kind of games to open the season.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Maybe but they look pretty damn good to me.
  • Bige70
    PSU looks legit. I watched them play BYU and OSU. We may be thankful for the scheduling quirk that made that a non-conference game.
  • aggie6thman
    We still talk about beating Stanford 12 years after the fact. A win against an FBS team can get the entire fan base fired up.

I'm not saying we should schedule Florida (Northern Colorado heads to Gainesville next week) but playing lower to mid-tier Pac 12 and MWC schools isn't a bad idea. Hawkins should be callling UNLV to try and get them on the schedule!

Edit:
    Teams we should schedule:
    Air Force
    New Mexico State
    San Jose State
    UNLV
    New Mexico
    Kansas
    Nevada
    Rice
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'll be a hypocrite and say I like it that we are playing Stanford and Cal in the next two years...I just don't like getting trounced by anyone!
  • Zander
    Nevada and SJSU should be regular fixtures IMO. Both leave open the possibility for occasional upsets (or at least respectable performances) and make for easy road trips for players and fans alike. Obviously we wouldn't get one of the two of them every year but if those two appeared every four years I would completely support that.
  • aggie6thman
    I understand, BGA. But remember, not all FBS games are bad!

Except for Fresno State. I never want to go to Fresno again.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!