• aggie6thman
    Here we go! Back-to-back home games!
  • movielover
    Blurb I read from UND says they have been hammered by injuries. Ten hurt, many former starters, including 2 All Americans.

They are 1-3, started out being ranked in the top 25. Players just called a players only meeting to turn the ship. They sound hungry and dangerous.
  • SochorField
    What the status on Parenteau??
  • DrMike
    if its concussion-related, i don't think you'll hear any updates.
  • Riveraggie
    No idea what to expect this week. They've lost badly a few weeks in a row, we've lost badly last game. They seem to be getting beaten in line play, both offense and defense and are apparently suffering from loss of middle linebacker. Whether we are physically capable of taking advantage of that is an open question.
  • SochorField
    Won't be there this weekend (Disneyland for the kiddos). Will be checking in on my phone. Hopefully the Ags give the students a good show and get back on track.
  • DrMike
    their offense has really struggle (except the Missouri State game), averaging around 250 yards a game. passing game really seems to be having trouble. low completion rate, low yards. i watched a little of their game last week and wasn't very impressed with their QB. gave up 500 or more yards in their losses, with a bunch on the ground. very un-Sioux like. we'll need to figure a way to run, and not be one dimensional. and, NO TURNOVERS or BIG PLAYS!
  • agalum
    They might be struggling this year, but they are always dangerous and usually have a spirited fan following.
  • Riveraggie
    Looking at their last game, it looks like they fell behind early and went away from their style of play. They averaged five yards a carry but not a large number. They look like they could be trouble. Proven running backs, big play potential. Have to do what Montana State did which was score early.
    Santiago got 150 yards against us two years ago.
  • Aggie57
    ND Blog has injury update...looks worse than what Aggies went through past couple years...good week for a W
    poj2tgl0fjzxtabw.png
  • Riveraggie
    the injuries have hurt them but this is still a challenging game for us. They have a veteran qb, top level running backs and are a physical team. Disappointing for them means they've come back from standout to average in the Big Sky. It would be a mild upset for us to beat this team even at home. I'm hoping we get three more wins this year, this game might be one of them.
  • movielover
    Today's article Hawk says we did a lot well, we just made a few mistakes and they made us pay "magnificently".

http://www.davisenterprise.com/sports/hawkins-says-ucds-41-3-loss-remains-a-teaching-moment/

Amazing that we ran something like 50 offensive plays in the first half to their 20?, but they killed us with huge plays.
  • BlueGoldAg
    North Dakota's coach, Bubba Schweigert, seems like a soft-spoken, high quality coach. I expect we will have our hands full this Saturday.
  • agalum
    it looks like you have to subscribe to the enterprise to see the article.
  • CA Forever
    You can normally get by paywalls on articles by opening it in an incognito window using google chrome.
  • agalum
    thanks, but what is an incognito window?
  • CA Forever
    If you use google chrome, up at the top right of the screen there is a button that is 3 vertical dots. Click that and a drop down menu should come up where you can click new incognito window. Then in that window you can bring up the DE and should be able to get by the paywall.
  • Riveraggie
    If you delete your cookies and browsing history you can restart the counter.
  • BlueGoldAg
    Please understand that I'm not making a judgement about bypassing the paywall of the Davis Enterprise, but I choose to pay for a digital subscription. All local newspapers throughout the country are struggling in the digital age and very small newspapers like the Enterprise are disappearing quickly.

I've read the Enterprise for free for years and I appreciate their coverage of local Davis news as well the writing of scribes like Bob Dunning. It's not cheap but I want to support them and I hope they won't go under like so many small town rags have.
  • CA Forever
    I'm a grad student and in debt up to my eyes. I would love to pay for the DE, but not really feasible for me.
  • Goags20172
    What he said.
  • movielover
    Good article on the Vacaville paper on the Ags and OL Bertero.

“...San Diego was a (FCS) playoff team last year, and we think we can beat them,” Bertero said. “We think we can go to the playoffs this year. We’re working on getting there. We’re head and shoulders above where we’ve been.”

http://vacavilleinsider.com/sports/julian-bertero.php
  • BlueGoldAg
    I hear ya, maybe someday when you feel like you have the means you'll be able to subscribe. Hopefully, all those years of study will pay nice dividends for you in the near future!
  • Riveraggie
    Said many times before but one of our problems in competing at D1 level is we get no more coverage than we did in D2. That's one reason we appear to be small time. I don't even see Davis Enterprise articles when I search google for sports news, I don't think google crawls their site.
    Back in the long ago Far Western Conference days, the Chronicle would cover the league coaches conference call. Sac Bee is a lost hope, I think Sac State going D1 and still being small time contributes to that. In the long run, we can't hope the DE survives to cover the team, hopefully there will be further growth in online resources that will provide to a wider audience the stories we currently get from the DE. Subscribing to the DE for three football stories a week is isn't compelling for out of towners.
  • movielover
    Our athletic department recently made an interesting choice.

They decided to print up football posters in different languages for the international students. Mandarin, Japanese, Arabic, etc. But we don't have game highlight clips.

Some fans think game highlight clips of 2 or 3 minutes would be far more effective for fans, alumni, and recruiting. Alums and fans can forward links, tie into social media.
  • Riveraggie
    I wonder if there is a study that indicates English speaking foreign students don't read English posters. Or perhaps foreign students think that football games are open only to a secret society?
    Perhaps if there was a newspaper not behind a paywall that wrote about the games some of the mystery would lessen.
    Re clips: since it isn't happening in the press, anything that creates or feeds interest needs to be done in house or by students, does the Aggie cover sports anymore? Maybe they could up their game,
  • DrMike
    all the predictions on Any Given Saturday has us winning by 7-14 points. North Dakota folk mostly go with the Hawks, expect for 2 (not counting AgAlum!). I feel pretty good about this game, along the lines of Dunning. Need to come out fast and SCORE TD's (and not wait until 4th down in the redzone to do it).
  • movielover
    Interesting questions.

Who produces videos for Montana, MSU, SLO? ... I just think if I email a highlight video to a busy alum, they will watch it. A press release won't be read.
  • Riveraggie
    movielover its not so much emailing as it is having a web presence with content. Something that shows up in search engines. And not the one sided silver lining stuff in the departments page; that's good but also something balanced, other teams get that by default from local media, we don't
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!