• BlueGoldAg
    Aggie fans will get their first look at the 2017-18 Aggie Men's BB team when they play Bethesda Christian University from Anaheim in an exhibition game at 7 pm Tuesday in the Pavilion.

The Ags lost 4 starters from last year's team that was the first ever to make it to the NCAA Tournament where they won a play-in game before falling to Kansas. Gone are starters Brynton Lemar, JT Adenrele,
    Lawrence White, Darius Graham so there are a lot of big shoes to fill. Chima Moneke, Siler Schneider and Garrison Goode will be the most experienced returning Aggies. Michael Onyebalu, Joe Mooney, Arell Hennings and Rogers Printup, who had a medical redshirt last year, also figure to be in the mix for playing time.

Coach Les has brought in an exciting combination of JC transfers and true freshmen. TJ Shorts, Colin Russell, and Jonah Underwood come in as experienced JC transfers along with a trio of talented true freshman: Gio Nelson, Delvion Jackson and Logan Strom. In addition, AJ John, a D1 transfer from Pepperdine, is eligible this year after sitting out last year as per D1 transfer rules.

I think we are going to be surprised at how athletic this year's team will be and, hopefully, we'll be one of the top teams in the Big West again this year.

There doesn't appear to be any live online stream from Big West TV only Live Stats. It might be worth checking the Big West TV page tomorrow to see if there is any update.

Are you ready for some basketball! Go Ags!
  • Oldbanduhalum
    I’m definitely going to check out the exhibition game. Looking forward to seeing what the new guys bring to the table
  • BlueGoldAg
    My wife and I are in Kanab, Utah, and it looks like we'll be here for a while while our car gets repaired after hitting a deer or we'd be there too. Please post up your thoughts after watching the game.
  • aggie6thman
    All taken care of. (Y) (Y)
  • DrMike
    how'd they look?
  • BlueGoldAg
    I'd like to know too. There is no coverage at all...not even live stats so we'll have to wait until Oldbanduhalum gives us his thoughts. The UC Davis Basketball twitter page posted a pic saying the Ags were up 36 at the half.

https://twitter.com/ucdavismbb?lang=en
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Ags win 111-56. Game was never in doubt, but as someone who sat through the Academy of the Arts debacle, no game is a gimme. Some random thoughts:

Starting five was Chima, Goode, Siler, Michael O. and Shorts. Chima delivered what you would expect, plus he hit one three. It wasn't the greatest shot in the world, but it bounced in. If he can do that on occasion, that should really help open the lanes. Goode made a few nice offensive moves, but don't expect too many points from him (rebounds and defense). Shorts is very quick and made good decisions. He didn't take any outside shots...definitely looked to pass or drive. Siler hit quite a few threes, mostly uncontested. He'll need to be consistent with his shots. Michael plays good defense, but we need a better shooter at that position.

More to come...
  • BlueGoldAg
    Keep it coming Oldbanduhalum. How did the new players do?
  • Oldbanduhalum
    First off the bench was Aj John, Delveon Jackson, and Joe Mooney. Jackson is a very intriguing player. He's basically the size of Chima, but has a good looking outside shot (I think he only hit one), and looks like he can really drive. He'll have to get better on the defensive end, but he'll get a ton of minutes, whether off the bench or as a starter (I'm guessing he'll start over Michael at some point this season). John took quite a few 3's, only made one I think, but he seemed to really look for his outside shot. Mooney is a poor man's Tyler Les, good outside shot (a little funky), so I could see him getting some significant minutes, especially when we need a spot up shooter to take pressure off of Chima.

Hennings came in for Shorts at point, Colin Russell got some run at post (good size, he'll set screens and rebound). Strom, Printup and Underwood didn't play until well into the 2nd half. Strom looks very smooth around the basket, and nailed his only 3. Printup hit one three, but I'm not sure he's going to be more than a few minutes a game player. Underwood was interesting...he's only guy that didn't have his name on his jersey, not sure what that was all about. He looked a little stiff, but he's got good size and made a couple of nice moves. It wouldn't surprise me if either Strom or Underwood or both red shirt.

Overall, it's always hard to evaluate a team when they are playing a lower level opponent. But there is definitely a lot of talent. Chima will get his, Siler will be solid, it'll be up to Jackson, Mooney, Shorts to be able to hit shots when they crash down on Chima.

Good to back in the Pavillon...Oh, decent crowd for an exhibition.

Go Ags.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    if you have any questions let me know. I tried to give just general comments
  • BlueGoldAg
    Thanks, Oldbanduhalum, nice recaps! We lost a lot from last year's groundbreaking team. I know it's way early but how would you say these two teams compare in terms of talent? From your recaps it sounds like this team is work in progress at this point. It also sounds like Coach Les was pleased overall with the team's overall effort.

I expected TJ Shorts and Delvion Jackson to be the two knew players that might have the most chance at jumping right in and getting significant playing time. I hope that one of our new bigs John, Underwood or Russell, will come along nicely and be able to contribute in the paint.

The Aggie Athletics website does not have any stats for the game. Do you have any about the stats for individual scoring etc? Did anyone have a hot hand shooting?

We'll know a bit more when the Ags take on UNC on the road next Monday.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Les seemed pleased with the effort and work that the boys put in, just judging by the number of foot stomps. As for individual stats, I'd say that Siler probably led them in scoring. I want to say he hit 4 of his first 5 3's, and at least 3 ft's. Most of the starters, outside of Shorts, only played a few minutes in the second half. I'm sure Chima scored in double digits and probably got 5-8 rebounds. I know Mooney hit a few 3's and looked pretty confident. Jackson hit his first 3 but missed several after that. Same with John. I think everyone who suited up scored.

Looking forward to the games that count.
  • True Blue Aggie
    Saw recruit (and Harvard commit) Mason Forbes from Folsom at the game. Don't know what that means exactly (shrug) . . . just making an observation. http://verbalcommits.com/players/mason-forbes

Lawrence White and JT Adenrele were also in attendance.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I know JT is working in the front office for the Kings. Not sure what Lawrence is doing. Brynton Lemar is playing pro ball in France and I saw where he was doing very well. I think Darius Graham is back in Sacramento working with young people. What a great group those 4 were.
  • BlueGoldAg
    I know that comparative scores are essentially meaningless but it can be fun to speculate from comparing how two teams fared against common opponents.

The Aggies demolished Bethesda in an exhibition game 111-56 and, last night, the poor Flames visited Pacific and got steamrolled 84-49. So, comparatively, the Ags won by 55 and the Tigers won by only 25. Another interesting comparative stat is that the Ags led 56-20 at the half whereas UOP was up 42-24 at the break. The Aggies largest lead was 45 points at 69-24.

So, it means little, but, hopefully, these comparative stats give us some indication of the relative strength of these two teams...but, as we all know, there's a reason we play the games and on "any given day"...
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!