• BlueGoldAg
    The Ags step up a level when they travel to Seattle to play Washington in the Alaska Airlines Arena at 5 pm Sunday. The game will be televised on the Pac12 Network following the UC Irvine at UCLA game.

The Huskies come into the game with a 3-2 record but all of their wins have been closely contested: 86-82 over Belmont, 79-69 over EWU and 89-84 over Seattle. Their loses have been to Providence 77-70 and Virginia Tech 103-79. They are led in scoring by 6'3 Fr G Jaylen Nowell at 19.3 ppg and 6'8 JR F Noah Dickerson at 16.0 ppg. As a team the Huskies are shooting 43% overall but have allowed 50% overall shooting by their opponents.

The Ags are coming off an 64-47 win over hapless Sac State on Monday evening at the Golden One Center in a game in which the Aggies vacillated between playing well for a short stretch and then ragged for a long stretch. It will take a much improved effort by the Aggies to hang with Huskies. The keys to the game for the Aggies will be to play excellent defense, rebound well and take car of the ball. The offense is a work in progress but there were signs in the Sac game that AJ John and TJ Shorts are feeling more comfortable in their offensive roles.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    Thanks for the preview. Looking forward to watching
  • eastbayaggie
    No one is watching this game? I like how Davis has played so far. UCD is up 37-34 at the half.
  • aggie08
    Playing well. We’re small but gritty. Schneider quick and crafty penetrating thru their zone. Chima causing problems inside
  • Oldbanduhalum
    Watching at the Grad. Ags playing tough.
  • BlueGoldAg
    The Huskies have a definite size and muscle advantage but the Ags are scrapping hard. Really nice to see Garrison Goode go 3-4. We need his offensive production inside. Fun to watch TJ Shorts handle the ball and drive to the hoop.

If we can do a better job on the defensive boards, stay out of foul trouble and continue to play good defense, we have a chance.

Go Ags!
  • DrMike
    Still in it in the last minute. That last bucket hurt. Good d and hit a tough shot with clock running down. Still fighting
  • AggieHex08
    10 lead changes according to the announcers. Considering the amount of new faces, still glad to see us play well on the road against a power 5 team.
  • BlueGoldAg
    We played hard as usual and kept it close but we shot poorly from behind the arc 5-21. We couldn't handle their size on the defensive boards. They had 16 offensive rebounds that led to 14 second chance points. We desperately need to find some good perimeter shooting because we're going to see a lot of zone this year.
  • DrMike
    3 point shooting wasn’t too good tonight (23%) and that hurt. Let them pack their zone. Mooney has a nice shot; didn’t drop tonight but he should be good behind the arc. Guards were solid, taking care of the ball. Good to see Goode get some points. Reminds me of JT post injuries. Foot work is a little too fast now -> hopefully some tough buckets tonight against legit big men will build some confidence for him.
  • 69aggie
    There are zones and then zones. Very difficult to play a good zone at this level, but Washington’s was good, very good. According to les, BW plays very little zone D.
  • Oldbanduhalum
    The length that UW had at the top of their zone kept us from easily getting the ball into Chima in the paint. We had to find the soft part (baseline corners) and then pass it back into the paint to Chima. It worked a couple of times, and John got a couple of 3 pt shots from the corner. It's good that we faced it now so that we may be more prepared for it if any BW team utilizes it.
  • BlueGoldAg
    It looked to me like UW was running a 2-3 matchup zone. It was really tough for the Aggies to try and penetrate or shoot over it because of the length and athleticism that the Huskies had out front and the size they had inside.

I'm on the fence about whether or not I like that zone defenses are allowed in college ball. I like them in that it gives college basketball a lot of defensive options and makes for some really interesting offensive strategies to try and attack them. I don't like them when a team like UW is so good at it that it makes it almost impossible to attack it effectively especially if the opponent is undersized by comparison like the Ags were.

I actually think the college game would be better off with only man defenses like the pros. Then it's mano-a-mano and the big guys need to be able to keep up with the smaller guys. I think hard nosed man to man defense is much more enjoyable to watch and speeds up the game.
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!