• aggie08
    It's 2017. We're coming off a tournament year. And we can't get a working stream?? And even when it works, there's no broadcast. This is so tacky. Easy first step is to tie the radio stream into the video feed and it shouldn't cost much. If we want to push to elevate our athletics, alumni donations, eventually get additional advertisers, expand our fan base, this is all a no-brainer. Can we please please have someone in athletics push this? Delegate it to someone as their only project. This is very unprofessional and not something we'd expect in D1. Period. Sorry for the rant, but this does not live up to UC Davis standards.
  • Goags20172
    Ah, that's what all the +1 on these boards is for. :D

+1 for everyone !
  • movielover
    Audio consistently sucks.
  • True Blue Aggie
    +1. This kind of stuff really resonates and has an alarmingly far-reaching negative impact. Seriously . . . get it together.
  • aggie6thman
    Is the radio broadcast run through the live stream?
  • aggie08
    It doesn’t or at least didn’t yesterday. This seems like low hanging fruit. Is it that difficult to find a techie to tie radio into stream and sync it? I don’t know, but it seems very doable.

The radio broadcasts are solid and they’re already doing the work. Plus you can tell advertisers you have a larger audience size.

If you’re a recruit and you’re watching our current setup, you’re not impressed.
  • movielover
    Coaches show audience seemed to shrink as the year went on. Audio was sometimes horrible. Radio guy didn't relay Facebook questions. Facebook was also inconsistently (?) updated... sometimes on football site, sometimes on arhletics site, ... why can't they put the date up a week, or even 3 days in advance? Last week no notice at all (conflict w hoops?).
  • 69aggie
    It’s money thing. Anyone who saw the stream form Washington on Pac12 stream could see the difference in plain sight. Night and day from BW stream of even BSky stream both of which were terrible. Don’t know if the money is there for the fix.
  • aggie6thman
    I haven't tuned in this year but Blue is always tweeting about (I'm paraphrasing) how live streaming games is the next frontier and how TV is the dying breed.

It isn't an unreasonable request to ask that we A) have a reliable connection B) tie the radio feed into the streaming C) have a graphic on screen that shows the clock/score D) potential replays.

We've mentioned on the boards a few times that if money is the issue, why not have a few students work on this stuff? They would get real world experience and we would get a product that exponentially better than what we have now.

I wonder if we gather the analytics from the live stream. We would be able to see where the traffic comes from, who is watching, how long they watch, where they are watching from (location and mobile device/desktop), and are they returning viewers or first timers.

That stuff is gold and I hope we are tailoring our approach to maximize viewership and exposure.
  • Goags20172
    So Dr. Blue is giving hints to the future.... Blue's Clues ? He is one of few people who are allowed to be blue all the time. Most people need to be beaten up or take a nasty spill to be black and blue. He just needs to get a little ink on himself.

When he was a kid, did he call the first place prizes "Me ribbons" ? Oh wait, he's a millennial, so they gave those to everyone for participating...
  • aggie6thman
    Just watched the very end of the women's game against Slac (we won).

Glad to see that the score and clock are visible on screen. Do we have to use the conference stream? That might be part of the problem...
  • BlueGoldAg
    I don't get why the radio feed is not linked with the live video feed. Makes no sense. It's ludicrous to have a nice video without any sound except a live mic in the background. How hard can it be to link and synchronize the live radio broadcast with the video broadcast? It's bush league the way it is now!
  • aggie08
    Here's an archived UC Riverside basketball game.
    http://bigwest.sidearmstreaming.com/watch/?Archive=1565

UCSB has an even better model to replicate. Looks smoother, they provide interviews and ads:
    http://bigwest.sidearmstreaming.com/watch/?Archive=1571

Riverside can do it, and we can't?!?!

Looking at this kind of exposure, there's no doubt in my mind, Jim Les has been at a disadvantage in recruiting - even compared to BW teams. No audio, video that only sometimes works, no interviews, and often half empty stands. After a tournament season.
  • movielover
    We still don't have weekly highlight clips of Aggie football games with one of the top passing games in FCS. Our opponents even use our feed to do it!
  • aggie08
    See GCU streaming. Wow. That is DI. A team that is only eligible for the tournament this yr. This is what our broadcasts could be:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEKd5HKE5co
  • ucdavisaggie05
    Very slick with graphics, ads, high resolution, score, etc, etc.
  • BaseballAtDobbins
    I hate supporting them, but this is perfect! If only all sports looked like this.
  • aggie6thman
    It's almost like GCU has a former NBA player as a coach, a nice on campus arena and a relatively large student body......

In all seriousness, does anyone know the specifics to this arraingement? Do we not have the funds necessary? Is it a priority? Are we forced to use a feed from the Big West?
bold
italic
underline
strike
code
ulist
url
mention
reveal
youtube
tweet
Add a Comment

Welcome to Aggie Sports Talk!

AggieSportsTalk.com, the pulse of Aggie athletics. The home of Aggie Pride. Create an account to contribute to the conversation!